You may have selected several different couples as possible adoptive parents for your child. How will you narrow your selection? Although some placing parents make a decision after reading a few couples’ profiles, most make a carefully considered decision, making their choice only after many questions and much thought.
Before you contact any prospective adoptive parents for the first time, it’s a good idea to make a list of questions you want to ask to help you get to know each couple. Here are some possible questions, and you should add others you think are important:
- Why do you want to adopt a baby?
- Have you adopted before?
- Do you have any experience with children?
- What do your families think about you adopting a baby?
- Will you tell the child that he is adopted? When and how?
- What will you tell the child about me? About his birth father?
- Was open adoption your first choice?
- What are your religious beliefs?
- What are your beliefs about education?
- What forms of discipline will you use with the child?
- Are you willing to maintain contact with me/us as your child grows up?
- What type of contact?
- How often?