Questions to Ask Prospective Parents
A thoughtful list of questions to ask potential adoptive parents.
You may have selected several different couples as possible adoptive parents for your child. How will you narrow your selection? Although some placing parents make a decision after reading a few couples’ profiles, most make a carefully considered decision, making their choice only after many questions and much thought.
Before you contact any prospective adoptive parents for the first time, it’s a good idea to make a list of questions you want to ask to help you get to know each couple. Here are some possible questions, and you should add others you think are important:
- Why do you want to adopt a baby?
- Have you adopted before?
- Do you have any experience with children?
- What do your families think about you adopting a baby?
- Will you tell the child that he is adopted? When and how?
- What will you tell the child about me? About his birth father?
- Was open adoption your first choice?
- What are your religious beliefs?
- What are your beliefs about education?
- What forms of discipline will you use with the child?
- Are you willing to maintain contact with me/us as your child grows up?
- What type of contact?
- How often?