(Editor’s Note: These are agencies researched and found by the author. Adoption.com is not endorsing these agencies; this is an informative article based purely on the author’s research.)
Are you an expectant mother who is considering an adoption plan for your unborn child? Are you a potential adoptive parent who is eager to learn more about the adoption process? Perhaps you are a qualified applicant looking for a career, an internship, or a volunteer opportunity in the adoption field. If you find yourself in any of these positions, it can be difficult to know where to begin. You may wonder, “Are there any child adoption centers near me?” The answer is most likely, yes!
“What resources can child adoption centers near me offer?” Below you will find answers to that question as well. Scroll down for an alphabetical, state by state listing of adoption agencies and resources that may be able to help you take the next step. This month we will focus on finding child adoption centers near me from Alabama to Maryland. Location, contact information, and websites will be provided for each listing—as well as some of the services they currently offer. Live in an area that’s not on the list? Please feel free to leave a comment with your city, and I will be happy to refer you to resources in your local area.
- Alabama Department of Human Resources- This state-run agency specializes in finding homes for the hundreds of children currently in Alabama’s foster care system. While many children are reunited with their biological families, approximately 20 percent of children in Alabama foster care become available for adoption. Children of all ages—some with special needs and some in sibling groups—are in need of caring families. Contact information is as follows:
Families 4 Alabama’s Kids
Become a Foster/Adoptive Parent
Phone Number: (866) 4AL-KIDS or (866) 425-5437
Alabama Post Adoption Connections
Phone number: (866) 803-2722
Alabama Foster And Adoptive Parent Association
Phone number: (888) 545-2372
- Adoptions With Love, Inc.- This nationwide adoption agency has been serving families in the state of Alabama since 1986. They offer compassionate counseling to potential birth mothers. As an expectant mother considering an adoption plan, this agency offers you the opportunity to choose and meet the adoptive parents that will become part of your child’s forever family. Post-adoption contact through letters, pictures, and face-to-face visits is encouraged through an adoption plan created by birth parents and adoptive parents. This agency can also help potential birth mothers to find medical services and can help pay any costs not covered by insurance. The offer housing, financial, and legal assistance as well. The website offers free online resources pertaining to many adoption questions and issues. Adoptive parents are offered a full range of services including counseling, help with the application process, and home studies. Adoptions With Love, Inc. can be reached at the following phone numbers:
Toll-free and Confidential! Call 24/7: 1-800-722-7731
Text 24/7: 1-617-777-0072
- Have you considered adopting an older child? There are so many amazing kids who are waiting for their forever home. For a photolisting of children available for adoption in Alabama, click on the following link: Adopt a Foster Child or Orphan in Alabama
- Alaska Department of Health and Social Services: Office of Children’s Services- Over half of children placed in foster homes in Alaska are reunited with their biological families. However, there are many children in need of a loving forever home. The department is especially seeking families who are American Indian or Alaska Native, willing to care for children with complex medical/behavioral needs, and who are willing to provide homes to teenagers and sibling groups. For more information, please contact the Alaska Center for Resource Families (ACRF) 1-800-478-7307.
- A Family For Every Child offers a wealth of information pertaining to adoption in the state of Alaska. At this website, you can learn about current Alaskan adoption laws, find a list of recommended trainings for foster/adoptive parents, learn about home study requirements, and search for public and private adoption agencies within the state. These are just a small sampling of topics and information offered by the website. It’s definitely worth taking the time to look at all of the resources they offer.
- Fairbanks Counseling & Adoption – “Fairbanks Counseling & Adoption is a professional family service agency whose purpose is to support the sanctity of all life by strengthening families, promoting healthy parenting and advocating for children. The agency is committed to empowering individuals to make informed, responsible, personal decisions.”
- Pregnancy Support Services- This agency, run by Catholic Social Services, offers counseling, adoption services to birth parents and adoptive parents, and resources to those who may need extra help when choosing to parent their child. For more information, visit the website or contact:
3710 E 20th Ave., Anchorage, Alaska 99508
Phone: (907)222-7300 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Arizona Department of Child Safety- Looking to open your home to a child in Arizona? Adopting a child from foster care can be a rewarding way to build your family. Here you can find more information on adoption requirements and “meet” some of the kids currently available for adoption.
- Adoption Choices of Arizona is a full-service adoption agency with offices in Phoenix, Flagstaff, and Tuscon. Families hoping to adopt can find more information about the agency on the website. Women facing an unplanned pregnancy can receive counseling, financial and housing assistance, help with medical care, and transportation to and from appointments. This website offers prospective birth parents the chance to view profiles of waiting adoptive families. A listing of resources for birth parents is also available. In addition to browsing the website, this agency can be contacted at the following numbers:
Expectant Parent Call or Text 1-480-900-5520
Adoptive Parent Call or Text 1-480-999-4788
- Arkansas Department of Children and Family Services- Here you will find the information and requirements for becoming a foster or adoptive parent through the state of Arkansas. This is a great starting place for researching what is needed to begin the process. Phone numbers and contact information are listed on the site. You can also fill out an inquiry form directly from the web page.
- Photolisting of Children Available for Adoption in California – Many children are in need of a loving environment to call home. On Adoption.com, you can browse photolistings of some of the children who are currently waiting to be adopted. Consider opening your home and your heart to one or more of these amazing children.
- California Department of Social Services- This website offers answers to many frequently asked adoption questions. For example, you can find answers about the adoption tax credit, the cost of adoption, requirements for adoption, and a listing of adoption agencies throughout California. This site should answer most questions you may have.
- CO4Kids.org – If you are interested in adopting a child from the foster care system, this website is a great resource. There is an inquiry form for any adoption-related questions you may have, as well as a photolisting of some children who are awaiting their forever families. Currently, there are almost 300 children and teens in the state of Colorado waiting to be adopted.
- Adoption Options- “Embracing Choices. Enriching Lives. Since 1981.” This agency serves as an advocate for both birth parents and adoptive parents, offering services and counseling at each stage of the adoption process.
Located at Empire Park, Bldg. C, Denver, CO 80222
You can reach them toll-free at 1-800-878-1601
- Connecticut Adoption Services- Here you will find resources for birth parents and adoptive parents, as well as profiles of waiting families. This agency has been “creating [and] strengthening families since 1989.”
2 Clinic Drive, Norwich, CT 06360
- Rainbow Adoption International, LLC- This licensed, non-profit agency is located in Avon, Connecticut. They offer home study evaluations and updates as well as preparation for international and domestic adoption. They can be reached at:
29 W Main St., Suite 101, Avon, CT 06001
- Alliance for Children can help expectant birth mothers with medical expenses, housing, and support services. They can also assist hopeful adoptive families with domestic and international adoptions, adoption funding, and education. They also offer adoption events and informational meetings pertaining to adoption. For more information, call (877) 402-3678
- Connecticut State Department of Children and Families- Interested in becoming a foster parent or adopting in the state of Connecticut? Find more information on the website or call 1-888-KID-HERO.
- A Better Chance for Our Children offers adoption and foster care resources. They also offer post-adoption support completely free to parents who adopt children from the Delaware foster care system. Dedicated and educated personnel are also available to offer therapeutic services to children in foster and adoptive placements. They have locations in Wilmington (1307 Philadelphia Pike) and in Milford (805 S Dupont Blvd.)
- Adoptions From the Heart- This agency covers medical care for birth mothers and children. They were established in 1985. They offer support groups and an email newsletter. They provide home studies and information on financial assistance for adoptive parents. They also offer lifelong support for adoptees. While they are located in Wilmington, they assist families in all three Delaware counties. 1-888-608-8373
- Photolisting of Children Available for Adoption Through the State of Delaware- Here you can find some amazing kids waiting for loving homes. The Division of Family Services in Delaware is seeking families to adopt these children (many with special needs). They state that marital status, wealth, and education are not major factors in adopting a child—what’s most important is being willing and able to provide a stable, loving, and permanent home.
- Photolisting of Children Available for Adoption in Florida- There are so many children waiting for families in Florida. Adopting an older child can be quite rewarding. Browse this photolisting of children. Perhaps your future son or daughter is just waiting for you to find them.
- Adopt Florida- The Florida Department of Children and Family Services offers many resources for those considering adoption. On the website, you can request more information, browse listings of children available for adoption, and learn more about local adoption services around the state.
- Children’s Home Society of Florida- This organization supports families by offering counseling, foster care, adoption, post-adoption support, search and reunion resources, and many other resources. They are able to serve families anywhere in the state. To find the office most convenient to your location, click the “Locations” heading on the website.
- ACF Adoption- This agency offers a lot of information to women facing unplanned pregnancies. Here you can read testimonials, learn about your rights as a birth mother, and find free counseling and support groups. They also offer information on the “How To’s” of adoption to those looking to build their families. This agency offers three locations for your convenience: North Miami Beach, North Palm Beach, and Fort Lauderdale. They can be reached at 1-800-348-0467.
- Children Available for Adoption in Georgia- Here you will find a photolisting of many children and teens available for adoption in Georgia. If you are willing to open your heart and your home to one of these children, you can really make a positive difference in their lives.
- All God’s Children Adoption- Located in Watkinsville, this organization offers orientation meetings and training for those considering adding to their family through adoption or foster care. They also offer home studies and support during all stages of the adoption process. They can be reached at 706-316-2421.
- Georgia Agape- Serving the greater Atlanta area, Agape is a faith-based, nationally accredited, not-for-profit agency that has been around since 1970. They offer foster care and adoption services as well as unplanned pregnancy counseling and assistance. For more information, please feel free to contact the following:
For the Birth Parent Counselor:
Contact Kim Tang, LCSW
For Information on Adopting:
Contact Kehli Higdon, LMSW
For Information on Fostering:
Call or email Sharalyn Donald
For General Information:
The agency can also be reached by telephone: (770) 452-9995
- Hawaii International Child offers home study services, post-placement, and post-adoption services, and counseling for all members of the adoption triad. Adoptive parent training courses are offered in Honolulu. Search and reunion services are also offered. For more information, contact (808) 589-2367 or email email@example.com. There is also a 24-hour hotline available to birth parents: (808) 636-1398
- Children Available for Adoption in Idaho- Browse photolistings of children and teens in Idaho who are currently available for adoption. These kids are waiting for forever families. Perhaps you can answer the call.
- Idaho Department of Health & Welfare- Currently, there are about 1,300 children waiting to be adopted from the child welfare system in Idaho. This website offers information on foster care as well as adoption. An application can be filled out online, and you can find answers to many questions you may have.
- Angel Adoption is a BBB-accredited business serving Boise City, Meridian, Nampa, Idaho Falls, and other Idaho cities. They offer confidential, no pressure, 24/7 counseling to expectant mothers via phone, text, chat, or email. Success stories of recent adoptions can be found on their website as well as a variety of other answers and information. They can be contacted via phone at 1-888-378-1112.
- Illinois Licensed Adoption Agencies- For a comprehensive list of licensed adoption agencies in the state of Illinois, visit the Illinois Department of Children and Family Services website. The link above will direct you to a listing of agencies serving the southern, central, and northern Illinois regions as well as the Cook County region. Also found on the website is information about birth parent and adoptive parent rights, frequently asked questions, information on foster care, and volunteer opportunities. You may also contact the Adoption Support Line at 1-877-746-0829.
- Meet Indiana’s Waiting Children- On the Indiana DCS website, you can get a closer look at some of the wonderful children waiting to be adopted. There are many children looking for forever homes—especially older children.
- Adoptions of Indiana- This agency offers adoption education, advocacy, and sessions/workshops. They inform birth mothers of their rights, offer counseling for unplanned pregnancies, host a Birth Mother’s Day celebration, create memory boxes for birth mothers leaving the hospital, and provide support services. Some services offered to adoptive families are home studies, continuing education, and support systems. The agency also offers search and reunion support for adult adoptees.
Their main office is located at 1980 E 116th St., Suite 325, Carmel, IN 46032. However, they service all cities in Indiana.
Call: 317-597-5312 for more information.
If you are pregnant or a birth parent, text anytime (24 hours a day!): 317-721-8304
You can also email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Iowa Association of Adoption Agencies- Here you will find a listing of adoption agencies broken down by region (western, central, and eastern Iowa), though there are many agencies that serve the state as a whole. Depending on your specific needs, you can narrow the results to find the specific type of center or agency you are hoping to find. You can also search by keyword.
- Children Available for Adoption in Kansas- Here you can browse photolistings of children available for adoption in Kansas. Consider giving one or more of these children a family that will last a lifetime.
- Adopt Kansas Kids- “You don’t have to be perfect to be a perfect parent.” This website is sponsored by the Kansas Department for Children and Families. Here you can view success stories of foster care adoptions and find information about making the decision to adopt. A post-adoption resource center is available as well. There are ongoing training, support groups, and celebrations for Kansas adoptive families. Adopt Kansas Kids has two locations to serve you:
3545 SW Fifth St., Topeka, KS 66601
1365 N Custer, Wichita, KS 67203
You can reach them by phone at 1-877-457-5430
- Adoption Choices of Kansas has two locations (Wichita and Kansas City). They offer counseling to women facing unplanned pregnancies. They can also offer safe housing and medical care options to expectant mothers who choose an adoption plan for their child. Prospective adoptive families can visit the website to learn more about adoption fees, home studies, and answers to frequently asked questions. They can be reached by phone at 1-877-903-4488 or by text at (316) 209-2071.
- KY FACES: Foster Adoptive Caregiver Exchange System- This website offers information and resources for those wishing to foster/adopt via the Commonwealth of Kentucky. Here you can learn about requirements, read testimonials, and find answers to common questions.
- A Child’s Dream is a nonprofit adoption agency in Louisville. They are able to work with families in any area of Kentucky. One on one counseling is available to expectant mothers any time of day or night. Information is also available for prospective adoptive parents. Contact 1-800-247-8280 or email email@example.com for more information.
- Photolisting of Children Available for Adoption in Louisiana- These children are waiting to find loving families. Perhaps you will find the child that makes your family complete!
- Open Arms Adoption offers home studies, birth mother counseling, embryo adoption, and post-placement supervision. For more information, feel free to contact them at 7330 Fern Ave., Suite 204, Shreveport, LA 71105
- Adoption Through Louisiana Department of Children & Family Services- Learn about expanding your family, adoption subsidies, foster parenting, reunion registration, and more. Visit the website or call toll-free at 1-888-524-3578 for more information.
- Photolisting of Children Available for Adoption in Maine- Several deserving children are in need of forever families. Consider bringing one of these amazing kids into your home and your life. You really can make a difference.
- Private Adoption Agencies in Maine- State of Maine Child and Family Services offers a guide to adoption on their website. Not only does it include helpful information, but it also lists private agencies in many different cities. There is also information on foster care, adoptive family support groups, adoption-related services, and adoption search consultants.
- Cradle of Hope- This agency (located in Silver Spring) offers international and domestic adoption services. Birth mother counseling is available. They have been handling adoption cases for decades and have placed thousands of children with families. For more information call (301) 587-4400.
- The Barker Adoption Foundation is located in Bethesda. Established in 1945, this agency offers pregnancy counseling, domestic, and international adoption services, parent education, and support. They can be reached at (301) 664-9664 or via email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Maryland Directory of Adoption Agencies- Here you will find a large listing of adoption agencies and resources available across the entire state of Maryland. All of these agencies are licensed by the Maryland Department of Human Services.
Please check back next month as we continue this series in an alphabetical listing of state resources with “Child Adoption Centers Near Me: Massachusetts-Ohio” followed by “Child Adoption Centers Near Me: Oklahoma-Wyoming.” In the meantime, please feel free to comment with any questions you may have. If you need resources within your location sooner, don’t hesitate to ask!
Are you considering placing a child for adoption? Do you want more choices with your adoption plan? Do you want to regain more control in your life? Visit Adoption.org or call 1-800-ADOPT-98. We can help you put together an adoption plan that best meets your needs.