(Editor’s Note: These are agencies researched and found by the author. Adoption.com is not endorsing these agencies; this is an informative article based purely on the author’s research.)
As we continue our series on “Child Adoption Centers Near Me,” we will explore organizations and agencies in the states of Massachusetts through Ohio (listed alphabetically). A few options for each state will be listed, but this is by no means an all-inclusive list. Feel free to comment below if there is a certain city or agency you have questions about. When making an important decision about adoption and which agencies or resources to use, make sure to do your own research as well as checking reviews. This group of listings is a great place to start. Here you can find the contact information and learn about some of the services offered through each featured organization.
- Alliance For Children Adoption Agency- This agency is located in Needham, Massachusetts, but offers multiple locations with services in all 50 states. They pride themselves on being an honest and trustworthy agency who offers services concerning domestic and international adoption. They offer home study services for prospective adoptive parents. They also offer counseling for potential birth parents and are able to help with medical care, housing, food, clothing, transportation to appointments, and much more. Their toll-free birth mother line can be reached at 1-877-402-3678. Adopting families may call (781) 444-7148.
- Massachusetts Adoption Resource Exchange- This nonprofit agency was established in 1957 and is located in Newton, MA. They find adoptive families for children and teens who are waiting in foster care. They work with the Massachusetts Department of Children and Families as well as local adoption agencies. They believe that every child deserves and needs to grow up in a loving family where they know they belong. They also offer a wide variety of support services to families considering adopting through the foster care system. They can be reached at (617) 964-6273
- Adoptions With Love- This agency boasts over 33 years of successfully placing newborns with loving adoptive families. They offer free and confidential counseling services to expectant/birth parents, as well as support with financial, legal, and medical expenses. For those who would like to grow their families through adoption, this agency offers private informational meetings complete home studies, and ongoing support. Open, semi-open, and fully closed adoption plans are available depending upon the wishes of those involved. They can be reached 24/7 at 1-800-722-7731 or via text at (617) 777-0072.
- Ennis Center for Children, Inc.- The Ennis Center for Children, Inc. is dedicated to working with children and families in crisis. They have offices in six Michigan counties (Monroe, Wayne, St. Clair, Oakland, Livingston, and Genesee). This organization has been working with abused and/or neglected children for over 40 years. They currently help approximately 6,000 Michigan families every year. While their ultimate goal is to preserve families, they are also committed to creating new families when needed. For more information on the foster care and adoption services they provide, please contact them toll-free at 1-888-200-8915
- Adoption Associates- This organization “exists to promote domestic and international adoption for God’s glory.” They offer information on adoption and assistance to those considering the adoption process. Adoption Associates hosts workshops and informational/awareness meetings all across Michigan. You can access their Adoption Focus Radio Podcast via their website. The toll free contact number is 1-800-677-2367. You can also ask for more information by filling out this online contact form.
- MN Adopt- Meet the Kids- The MN Adopt State Adoption Exchange (supported by the Minnesota Department of Human Services) helps families to find children in the foster care system who are in search of loving, permanent families. The “Meet the Kids” section of the website allows you to see all children that are currently waiting for forever homes. They may be contacted via phone: 1-866-303-6276 or via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Lifetime Adoption- Lifetime Adoption Agency is committed to educating and answering questions for all of the adoption-related information you may be curious about. This agency has been working with families since 1986. They specialize in Christian domestic adoptions, and they have facilitated thousands since their opening. They offer a free application for prospective adoptive parents, free adoption webinars, and an online listing of birth parents who are currently seeking adoptive parents for their babies and children. They provide grants for families interested in the adoption of children with special needs. There are adoption and birth parent blogs on their website. They also have a gift shop where you can purchase all types of adoption-related gifts and merchandise. Please call the birth parent hotline at 1-800-923-6784 or the adoptive parent answer line at (530) 271-1740 for more information or contact them via their online form.
- New Beginnings- New Beginnings believes in promoting life and new beginnings for children, birth mothers, and families through parenting education and adoption. They are a Christian agency that strives to be a resource for local and nationwide churches. Their belief is that “the Bible commands…[them] to care for the unborn, the widows, and the orphans.” They offer many resources for birth parents and adoptive parents as well as training resources. They offer a birth parent only hotline that can be contacted via phone (662) 213-0369 or via text (662) 401-5823. To reach the main office (in Tupelo, MS), call (662) 842-6752.
- Mississippi Heart Gallery- The Mississippi Department of Child Protection Services has a photolisting of children that are legally free for adoption. There are so many children just waiting for a loving forever home. Perhaps you will find the newest member of your family. You can also find foster/adoption applications for single AND married applicants. Feel free to contact the foster/adoption information hotline at 1-800-821-9157.
- Missouri Department of Social Services- The Children’s Division of the department offers many services. If you are interested in adopting through the foster care system, this is a great place to start. You can learn more about becoming an adoptive parent and receive information on the adoption subsidy. Adult adoptees, biological parents, and adult siblings of someone who was adopted can learn more about services available to them through the adoption registry. You may also request a copy of your birth certificate at this website.
- Adoption in Montana- If you are interested in adopting a child through the Child and Family Services Division of the Montana Department of Public Health and Human Services, this website can help you with more information. Here you can gather information about the requirements of adoption in Montana, training, tax information for adoptive parents, etc.
- Private Adoption Agencies in Montana- Here you will find a listing of seven different state-licensed private adoption agencies along with their contact information.
- Nebraska Children’s Home Society- Since 1893, the Nebraska Children’s Home Society has been helping families through adoption while putting the needs of children first. They offer pregnancy counseling and ongoing support for parents considering placing their child for adoption. You can also find answers to many frequently asked questions on the website. The corporate office is located in Omaha, Nebraska, and may be contacted at (402) 451-0787.
- Lutheran Family Services- This agency offers home study services to couples and singles in the Nebraska area. They also offer educational information about adoption issues and preparing for parenting adopted children. They offer domestic infant adoption, international adoption, and foster care adoption. They have offices throughout Nebraska, so there is likely a location near you. For more information on any services they offer, call (402) 342-7038.
- Child Saving Institute- This institute works to find loving homes for older children who are in need of forever families. They also offer counseling for teens and adults facing an unplanned pregnancy, and they are able to facilitate adoptions if the choice to place is made. They also offer parenting workshops, therapy, social service resources, etc. Call (402) 553-6000 to speak to one of their adoption specialists.
- Adoption Choices of Nevada- This nonprofit, fully licensed agency offers services for birth parents and adoptive parents. They offer locations in Reno and Northern Nevada as well as Las Vegas and Southern Nevada. They offer domestic adoption services with open, semi-open, and closed options as well as home studies. They also offer services to members of the LGBTQ community seeking to adopt. For more information, you may fill out the online form to introduce yourself and receive a timely response.
- A Child’s Dream- With 20 years of experience, this agency offers free counseling to prospective birth parents, as well as medical, housing, and living assistance. They are a safe, secure, and confidential agency where the birth mother is encouraged to choose the adoptive family and preferred level of openness. Social workers are available to service many areas in the state. They also offer many services for couples and individuals seeking to grow their family through adoption. They may be contacted at 1-800-247-8280.
- Department of Child and Family Services- For adoption and foster care services through the state of Nevada, this website has you covered. Find answers to frequently asked questions, learn about children awaiting adoption, and read a heartwarming “Pledge of Responsibility for Children” on the website. A full Nevada adoption guide is available to answer any questions you may have.
- New Hampshire Department of Health and Human Services- On this state website, you can learn more about foster care and adoption through the state of New Hampshire. Here you will also find a listing of private adoption agencies throughout the state. There is information available for birth families and adoptees and information about post-adoption services.
- Adopt NH- This agency believes that there is a family for every child and specializes in finding homes for foster children in the state of New Hampshire. You can browse photos and information about children waiting to be adopted. You can also find information about support groups in your area. They may be contacted at (603) 271-1034.
- Adoptions From the Heart- This agency provides domestic infant adoption services. They offer lifelong support for adoptees and help prospective adoptive parents find resources to help them with the expenses of adoption. They help birth mothers to navigate the adoption process. There is a birth mother support group and an educational scholarship grant program available. With locations all over the state of New Jersey, there is most likely an office near you. For more information on adopting, fill out their online information form. If you are pregnant and would like to speak to someone at the agency, feel free to call the confidential hotline 24/7- 1-800-355-5500.
- NJ Department of Children and Families- The state of New Jersey is always looking for qualified individuals and couples to foster and/or adopt waiting children. More information is available on the website. You can learn about adoption/foster care training and events and about the adoption subsidy. More helpful links are available as well. For more information about becoming a foster parent, contact 1-877-NJ FOSTER. For more information about adopting, call 1-800-99-ADOPT.
- The Children’s Home Society of New Jersey- Since 1894, the CHSofNJ has placed thousands of children with adoptive families. They “welcome adoptive families of all races, religions, ancestries, national origins, ages, sexual orientations, and genders,” as long as they are committed to providing a safe, loving, and stable home for children in their care. Pregnancy counseling is available in a free and confidential environment. They can provide adoptive families with answers and support concerning many adoption-related matters. For more information, you may contact the main office in Trenton, NJ. (609) 695-6274
- Adoption Assistance Agency- The Adoption Assistance Agency (located in Albuquerque) offers services to birth parents that include no pressure counseling, birthing support if desired, housing assistance, and access to a counselor 24/7 in a confidential environment. Adoptive parents can meet with the agency for a free consultation. The agency does provide home studies and counseling as well as post-adoption support. If you would like to speak with someone right away, you may call (505) 821-7779 or you may contact them via their online contact form.
- New York State Office of Children and Family Services- The New York State Bureau of Permanency Services is looking for responsible and caring adults to provide waiting children with loving, permanent homes. This website offers answers to many frequently asked questions. You can also see a photolisting and learn more information about some of the children who are waiting to be adopted.
- Adoption STAR- This agency works with prospective parents and birth parents in all New York cities. For birth parents, this agency offers confidential, free counseling with 24/7 staff availability. Open and closed adoptions are available, with the opportunity for birth parents to choose their child’s adoptive family. Medical, housing, and other expenses can be covered as well. For adoptive parents, this agency offers domestic and international adoption programs, home studies, support, and education, and a personal adoption family advocate. For a free information packet, you can call them at 1-866-691-3300.
- Adoption Choices of New York- Adoption Choices has been helping to create happy families through adoption for the past 17 years. They offer home studies, support, and post-adoptive services to adoptive parents. They can also help expectant mothers explore all of their options. Assistance with medical expenses and transportation to appointments can also be provided. You may download a brochure from their website, or contact them 24/7 by calling 1-800-505-8592.
- Christian Adoption Services- “Building God’s kingdom by connecting vulnerable children with Christian families.” This agency in Matthews, North Carolina, offers domestic and international adoption services as well as foster care and financial resources for adoptive families. For potential birth parents, they provide pregnancy support services. They also host a yearly birth mother’s retreat. For more information, contact (704) 847-0038 or call the 24-hour pregnancy hotline at 1-800-453-1011.
- Triangle Adoption Services- This licensed adoption agency specializes in home studies and post-adoption services. The main office is located in Chapel Hill and can be reached at (919) 906-0270.
- NCDHHS- Adoption and Foster Care- The state of North Carolina offers some amazing resources and answers to questions on their website. Learn more about foster care and adoption, find post-adoption support and resources, and find information about pregnancy services and the safe surrender program.
- North Dakota Adoption Agencies- ND.gov has compiled a listing of adoption agencies around the state. This is a great place to start. You are sure to find an agency in your area! For more information on adoption in North Dakota, as well as a listing of children who are currently awaiting families, you may visit their Adoption Program page.
- Catholic Charities ND- “Since…[their] beginning in 1923, Catholic Charities North Dakota has been dedicated to facilitating adoptions of children into loving, stable, and nurturing families.” They offer pregnancy, parenting, and adoption services. They also have post-adoption search and disclosure services. With four locations in North Dakota (Fargo, Bismarck, Grand Forks, and Minot), they are able to assist families in all parts of the state.
- Adoption by Gentle Care- Since 1985, this nondenominational, nonprofit agency located in Columbus, Ohio, has been providing adoption services to hopeful adoptive families and birth parents. They also offer search and reunion resources for those who are interested. Confidential and no pressure counseling and support is available to expectant mothers. If they choose to make an adoption plan, it can be fully customized. For adoptive parents, they offer high adoption success rates, accurate adoption wait times, and personal contact and support. For 24-hour support, call (614) 469-0007.
- Building Blocks Adoption Service- Building Blocks helps parents facing an unplanned pregnancy to understand their rights and decide if adoption is the right choice for their unborn child. They educate prospective adoptive parents, and they offer very competitive agency fees for adopting parents. Many people in their staff (including their founder) are adoptive parents. They provide services for newborn, older children, grandparent, and relative adoption. They are located in Medina, Ohio, and can be contacted at the following numbers: Phone: 330-725-5521; Toll-Free: 866-321-2367; Birth Mother Hotline: Text: 234-206-1859 or Call: 234-206-1859
- Foster, Adoption, and Kinship Care- Thousands of children in Ohio are looking for stable and loving homes. Foster care, adoption, and kinship care are all rewarding ways to provide families to children who need them. You may view a photolisting of children, learn more about the programs, and find answers to your questions on the website. You can also fill out a Foster and Adoptive Parent Inquiry Form for more information.
If you live in one of the above states, feel free to recommend an adoption center near you! If none of these suit your needs, feel free to leave a comment and I will be happy to find one that may be more suitable. If your state wasn’t covered this time, join us for the next article in this three-part series, “Child Adoption Centers Near Me Part 3: Oklahoma to Wyoming.”