Advertisements
Advertisements
I was a birth mother at Seton Residence in St. Paul, MN in late 1969 and early 1970. I decided to keep my baby girl but I have information on other birth mothers from that time period. If I can help anyone with information about their birth mother I'd be so pleased. As to the tatics of Catholic Charities at that time. Times were different. Having a baby out of wedlock was a big "no-no" especially for a Catholic girl. You were hidden away at Seton and your baby was placed asap. Best for the baby and new parents if that was the decision. The problem was that both the staff at Seton and the Social Workers at Catholic Charities were bias toward placement of the babies and drilled at the girls about placement. The birth fathers were not involved at all. For any girl who was waivering on placement she could expect to be called in for conferences frequently by the staff, social workers and her parents if they were in the picture. Most girls placed their babies. You were allowed to see your baby if you chose. You were also allowed to care for it in the nursery at the home for the three days you stayed there after you returned from St. Joseph's Hospital. We were treated pretty well overall but the pressure was to place the baby and I saw Seton as a Catholic baby factory. I saw many tears and many sad and broken hearted girls. The girls supported each other and made friends but were only allowed to call each other by our first names and no other information was allowed unless you privately told each other. It was harder for some than others.
Advertisements
Were all bmom's sent to St. Joseph's hospital? I was in a foster home in St. Paul and adopted through Catholic Charities. My records are now with Seton Services. I was told I was born at Glenwood Hills Hospital in Golden Valley. Just curious if everyone was sent to the same place?
From what I know, Seton Residence is connected to St. Joseph's on one side and Catholic Charities on the other. The nuns worked at both the hospital and the Residence and probably at CC, too. You may have been born at another hospital then in foster care after birth. Catholic Charities also had services to place foster children. That's why your records were probably at Seton Residence, because your adoption took place through them. But your birth mother didn't check in at Catholic Charities, that's why you were born elsewhere. My birth mother went to CC, which had a Maternity Ward or "home for unwed mothers" or whatever they called it back then. It was right between the Catholic Charities and the hospital and like Jill's mom said, they went there during their last stages of pregnancy until they "decided" to adopt out their baby. You may have been older than a newborn. Write to Catholic Charities to get your info. Their address is:
Catholic Charities
Seton Services - University
1276 University Ave W
St. Paul, MN 55104
Good luck, and if you need anything else, just let me know.
I hope you can help. My friend was placed by CC and b mom was at Seton. He was born November 28?, 1969. He was named Scotty James by the b mom. He is in need of bio medical info!! If you have any info please email me alb1130@yahoo.com.
Thanks sooo much for your time!
Amy
Please Help...... My half brother was given up threw catholic charities his birth name was James Joseph Kane. Mother's last name at time of birht was Kane. Any info would be great . Just want to know something about him and if he has tryed to look for us.
post a reply plese
Advertisements
Im looking for anyone who may know about a Karen Seys that was in Seaton Residence in 1970 and gave birth to a baby girl named Eta Anne on Dec. 1st 1970. Karen is my sister. The father was Roger Bauer. Baby was born at St. Josephs hospital and given up for adoption sometime after Christmas of 1970 threw Catholic Charities. Eta was 7 months old when adopted. That is all we know
I am adoptee born April 11, 1975 through Catholic Charities. I born in Edina Minnesota.........would my mom been at Seton Residence?
I'm desperate to find her!!!
Hi Jill's mom!
I was adopted through Catholic Charities in Jan/Feb 1970. Please contact me via email if you think you can help in my search. Please write ADOPTION in the subject line so I know it isn't spam. My address is: carlein.homefree@gmail.com
Look forward to hearing from you.
Carlein
Advertisements
carlein1970
Hi Jill's mom!
I was adopted through Catholic Charities in Jan/Feb 1970. Please contact me via email if you think you can help in my search. Please write ADOPTION in the subject line so I know it isn't spam. My address is: carlein.homefree@gmail.com
Look forward to hearing from you.
Carlein
I'm looking for my birth mother and half brother. I was born on 12/18/69 and placed in a foster home through catholic charities on 1/12/70. My birth name is Lynn Marie. My birth mother started her stay at Seton Residence on 6/24/69. She was 20 yrs old when I was born. My half brother was born in 1971. Please send me an email to lynnmarie196988@yahoo.com if anyone has any information that can help me with my search. I really appreciate it. Thanks
I'd like to add some important info from my previous post on 10/26/14. I was born on 12/18/1969 at St. Joseph's Hospital in St. Paul, MN. I have a serious health condition and need my bio medical information. Please email me at lynnmarie196988@yahoo.com with any information. Thank you.
Hi Jill's mom,
My mother placed me for adoption in December 1969 in St. Paul, MN through Catholic Charities. I have searched her through Catholic Charities, but unfortunately she died before I found her. Her name was Mary Louise Majka from Ohio. She sometimes went by Mary Lou. Her parents sent her to St. Paul to place me for adoption. I'm wondering if you might have crossed paths at Seton? Please contact me if you can. My email is elizabeth@riverhousearts.net. Thank you!
I recently found out my grandmother gave up a baby girl for adoption in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area through Catholic Charities. Sometime around 1959-1962. Her maiden name is Joyce Palmer and the baby she gave ups name was Ann. My grandmother has recently gotten very sick and there is no other information she can give at this time! Any info or any thoughts on where else to search would be great! Thank you!
hjohnson15@gmail.com
Last update on September 29, 7:55 pm by Hannah Johnson.
Advertisements
I was a birth mother at Seton Residence in St. Paul, MN in late 1969 and early 1970. I decided to keep my baby girl but I have information on other birth mothers from that time period. If I can help anyone with information about their birth mother I'd be so pleased. As to the tatics of Catholic Charities at that time. Times were different. Having a baby out of wedlock was a big "no-no" especially for a Catholic girl. You were hidden away at Seton and your baby was placed asap. Best for the baby and new parents if that was the decision. The problem was that both the staff at Seton and the Social Workers at Catholic Charities were bias toward placement of the babies and drilled at the girls about placement. The birth fathers were not involved at all. For any girl who was waivering on placement she could expect to be called in for conferences frequently by the staff, social workers and her parents if they were in the picture. Most girls placed their babies. You were allowed to see your baby if you chose. You were also allowed to care for it in the nursery at the home for the three days you stayed there after you returned from St. Joseph's Hospital. We were treated pretty well overall but the pressure was to place the baby and I saw Seton as a Catholic baby factory. I saw many tears and many sad and broken hearted girls. The girls supported each other and made friends but were only allowed to call each other by our first names and no other information was allowed unless you privately told each other. It was harder for some than others.