Advertisements
Advertisements
hmmm..well...my email was returned and I don't know what to do with the info I have. I mean what good is the file ID number anyway?
Oh well...it continues
Advertisements
Are you aware that the Children's Home Society, as a result of a recent passed bill in the NC House, has a staff of people now willing and able to help you with your search? I would suggest contacting them instead of trying to decode the birth index...although I used to know how to do that and will look back into my records. And, if it helps motivate you, I was able to use that index several years ago and find my birth parents in a day. So, keep going...I'll go look for the decoding and for lucadabrasi...
Well, I've used the index to find most of my information, and even went to that town to look through some papers and yearbooks. It's been helpful, but I'm so used to doing it all myself.
I live on the west coast now, so it's hard to get a hold of people back home..
Thanks for the intel though,
JBN
Seems the Odum Institute website has been revamped a bit since I last check it years ago. Here's the new link >
[url]http://arc.irss.unc.edu/dvn/dv/NCVITAL[/url]
It's been years since I've visited this forum. Great to read back through all the posts.
jb
Advertisements
lucadebrasi
You are correct Brx, you can do that in Word, however, that will only be effective if there was only one person born on that day for your year. In my case, there were over 200+ people born on the same day, which means I still had to go through each of those records. I believe the way the index is sorted is by county; for instance, say your county code is 060-095, it will go through the entire year for this county, Jan 1 - Dec 31, until going on to the next county, 070-000, or whatever it may be. If aren't one of the few who already know your county, you will have to go through your birthday for each of the 100 counties to find it. This whole process will be very easy after I build a database and import all data points into that. That way, I will be able to search across a number of values (birth weight, sex, race, etc) instead of just one at a time.
In response to your second question, being that I have just recently requested city/county of origin from the State and have been denied, it doesn't look too promising. I have heard of other who have requested it and received it, but that is only because the people they dealt with didn't know the current protocols. PM me with all of your info (non-id, birth date, etc), and I will help you search.
jb
hi i have tried several times to get the info you posted and when i click on the link it takes me to a yahoo web search page. help i would love to look at the birth index as I am looking for my baby sister born in dec 1979
Hi,
Thank you so much for making this information available, i have been trying for a very long time to get anywhere. I am able to locate the hospital i believe i was born at but when i then go to the website of the hospital it says it was not built until 1999 and i was born in 1983, any thoughts?
Thanks!
I will admit, I haven't read through all the pages of this post, but before I found it I had already downloaded the Vital Statistics from Odum.
My question is how do I properly format this document? It is in tabs, but when I open them in word pad they appear to be seriously out of order which makes it hard to figure out what information goes with which birth date.
Also, does anyone have information on the hospital codes? I didn't see them listed.
I see the last post in here was quite a while ago, was this ever put into a database?
If not and I can figure it out, I may be willing to do so, at least for the year I was born in 1975.
Any help is appreciated. Thank you.
Disregard my previous post, I figured out how the numbers tabulated correctly.
I also found the file with the hospital codes, although I have not looked at it yet because I have no access to Excel until Wednesday.
thank you for the help with this post.
Advertisements
Hi Everyone!!
Anyone know of a vital information for the year 1958, searching for my adopted sister that was born on 1-11-58 in Durham, North Carolina, at Duke University Hospital, our mother stayed at the Salvation Army Home for Unwed mothers.
Thanks JB for helping me find the updated lists!
Ellen
I am reading through this post and asking if anyone has a downloaded copy of the data file that you can share, please? I tried both links to Odum and they have removed the birth records from the NC Vitals file. I am hoping someone has a copy to share or look something up for me, please. Thank you in advance!
Advertisements
Are you still active on this page? It seems you have a lot of knowledge. Or can anyone please help me????
I am trying to find any sort of information for my mother, who was adopted. All we know is she was adopted out of Cherokee county. But she said she’s always been told she was born in Catawba county. Her DOB is 2-16-1970 . I have more information from non ID if anyone can help. Thank you
My email is mirandamoore62@gmail.com
Here's the link to find NC birth indexes from 1968 - 2001.
[url]http://www.irss.unc.edu/ncvital/bfd1down.html[/url]
I would advise that you choose the tab-delimited option when downloading your birth year, as it will be much easier to follow the 30+ columns of information. You also have to choose between the Uncompressed and GNU-zipped file format. If you have a high speed connection, Uncompressed won't take too long, and you won't have to worry about unzipping it. If you don't have a high-speed connection, go for the zipped version and use Winzip to unzip it. After downloading the file, go to the documentation page and choose your birth year range. The codes on this page will help you understand all the codes including in the file.
[url]http://www.irss.unc.edu/ncvital/dochome.html[/url]
To open the file, I would recommend that you right-click on the file whereever you save it and choose "Open With". After this, choose Wordpad to view the file. Be warned, this file will be quite large. Records are categorized according to county and then by date of birth. To find out the county code (which is included in the first few columns in the file), go here ->[url]http://www.irss.unc.edu/ncvital/intronew.html#exhibit[/url]
The first three exhibits on this page (A1, A2, A3) tell you what codes match up with what counties. 1968 - 1974 counties are in exhibit A1, 1975 - 1979 are in exhibit A2, and 1980 - 2001 are in exhibit A3.
If you need help with anything, please let me know, as I have been able to wade through 6000 pages of this stuff to find my birth record, which I previously had no knowledge of.
Good luck -