Advertisements
Advertisements
We just got back from a trip to the Mid West. One of my missions was to find the place where I was born. I was born in St. Vincent's Hospital and placed in St. Anthony's Home for Infants in Kansas City MO. The area, once a lovely old neighborhood with Victorian homes, lush trees and a big church, is now a bedraggled area which is not safe after dark as I have been told it is a crack area now. All that said, I'll shorten the long history which I got while I was there.
The home was regarded as the successor to the home for abandonded babies begun by Mrs. Richard Keith and others in 1898. Babies were being left at local hospitals and police stations so Mrs. Keith wanted to find a way to provide for these children. The auxilary Bishiop John J. Glennon warned that it would be a huge undertaking.
On 17 Aug 1899, St. Anthony's Home for Infants was established at 23rd St. between Walrond and College. This would be the site for St. Vincent's Maternity Hospital(later renamed Queen of the World). Only two days after the home was opened was the first baby received and within 3 years more than 100 babies had been admitted regardless of religion or nationality. However the home could not accomodate all the babies which were in need of care.
In 1899 the Sisters of St. Mary took over the home but they remained in KC only a few months as they were recalled to St. Louis to open a hospital for consumptives. On 21 June 1900 the "Black Cap" Sisters of Charity founded by St. Elizabeth Seaton came from Cincinnati to take charge and it was during this time that the maternity hospital was established.
In 1906 a new 60 room brick building, called St. Vincent's HOspital, was erected to replace the frame home which was then relocated to a corner of the property to serve as a nurses home.
In 1908 the Sisters of Charity withdrew as they could not provide enough personnel to run the home the way it should be run so during the interim the children were cared for by volunteers.
Children were kept there until the age of 5 after which time the boys were sent to the Kansas City Boy's Home at Westport Road and Belleview and presumably the girls were sent to the ST. Joseph Orphan Girl's Home.
In 1909 the Daughters of Charity from Emmittsburg agreed to take over the home. These sisters had been in charge of the KC Orphan Boy's home. By 1923 these sisters had cared for more than 1000 children.
In 1913 it was decided that a wing was to added on the 23rd and Walrond side and this building was opened in 1915 and could accomodate 235 children. This new wing became the exclusive home for the babies and the old wing became St. Vincent's Maternity Hospital.
For more than 40 years, while the home was located on 23rd St., the most important day of the year was the feast of the Holy Innocents, Dec 28th, when Santa Claus came with a present for each child. (I missed Santa by one day).
Over the years, changes were made to the facility. In 1951 the hospital began operating on a non -segregated basis and in that year the first black doctors were added to the staff.
In 1954 the hospital was changed into a general hospital and renamed Queen of the World Hospital. It became necessary to relocate the maternity home. In 1955 hte new home was located at 1414 E.27th St whcih was the former Fairmount Maternity Hospital. This home was used to provide medical care, education, counseling and other necessary assistance to the unwed mothers
25 of whom would be in the residence and the others on an outpatient basis.
In 1964 the home was changed due to the importance of personal contact and sensory stimulation which can only really be provided in a home situation. Babies from then on were placed in foster homes until they were adopted. The most unusual arrival of a baby at the home was a one that arrived in a suitcase which had ben left at Union Station. Others were simply left on the steps of the home. Following this change, the rooms once used for the babies etc facilities for the unwed mothers were expanded and the name was changed to St. Anthony Home.
The girls were given medical attention through St, Mary Hospital where the babies were usually born. Because of lack of personnel, in 1969 the Sisters withdrew and the home was taken over by the Catholic Family and Community SErvices.
On June 6th 1986 the property was sold to Welcome HOuse, an alcoholic rehab agency.
NOTE: If anyone goes to visit this location, do so in the daytime.As I said, the neighborhood is a rough place now after dark, I was told. Also, the street address is 3220 E. 23rd Rd and the facility is called Benilde Hall which is a place to provide additional transitional assistance to those recovering from substance abuse etc.
The only structure left is the brick building that one time housed the unwed mothers. The Hospital is gone as is the wing that was St. Anthony's Home for Infants. The grounds are quite pretty with large trees and pretty grounds in an otherwise sad neighborhood.
Just 2 weeks before I arrived there another lady was there on the same mission. The lady there gave me verbal history and sent me the detailed history of the facility. I did see the inside of th maternity home which has seen a litttle change on the first floor but the upstairs, which Idid not see due to the residents there, is unchanged. The stairs the mom's had to climb were steep!
I hope this has given some answers to some others from St. Anthony's Home for Infants.
Blue Irish Eyes
I would be curious to know what you recall of this place. I have been told by a counselor that as babies we do retain memories some of which make no sense to us, that it is hard to put a meaning to what we recall. I have another contact from this "uiversity" who relates a story his mother has told him about how he would hold his baby bottle and my mom told me about something I did which she found frustrating..I think these little habits or whatever were things we developed on our own because of circumstances.
By the way, when you were finally placed, were you sent home with anything. I understand some kids were sent hope with a blue medal attached to their clothes. I was sent home with a baby dress, albiet not new, that my mom was told is what I wore when I was baptized. I have a hunch someone from the natural family left it for me...imagine that.
No, you misunderstand. I was 15 and pregnant. At the time I stayed there, there were no babies present, St. Anthony's in 1973 was a place for pregnant teenagers to stay until they delivered. Then they either went home with their child if they decided to keep the baby, or they went home without the child if they decided to go the adoption route.
Advertisements
Was this location always specifically for unwed mothers and adoptions? Is there a chance that you could have been born there (years 1946 - 1948) and not have been born out of wedlock or involved in an adoption? Did it ever operate as a "regular" (for lack of a better term) maternity hospital? Thanks in advance for your replies.
:drive: :drive:
Well, after a long 20 hour drive from North Carolina to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, my husband and I met his birth family on July 5th. We had been talking with his aunt and one cousin since locating them in January. Needless to say, we were a little apprehensive, but His aunt and uncle were absolutely wonderful, and we loved every minute we spent with them.
We didn't know if we would get to meet his half brother, as he had not willing to talk to us before our trip, (he had no idea he had a half-brother before the searchers told him) but within a half hour of arriving, he and his wife came to their aunt's home to meet us. They started talking and it was as if they had known each other forever. They are so much alike it is scary. We got to spend a lot of time with them, and they have been talking since we got back home. Now Mac is planning another trip back later this year to go hunting with his brother.
I am still amazed when I look at the photos that the resemblence between them is so strong. We went through lots of old photos, and I could always pick his mother out of the photos...I just had to find the one that looks just like my step-daughter. She is the mirror image of Mac's mother. She now says that she can tell people that she looks like her grandmother.
We also got to meet LOTS of cousins, (his mother was one of 10 children, and his aunt is the only one left of the 10..) several are actually planning a trip to NC to see us later in the year.
I know that a lot of people don't have a happy outcome when searching, and I am so thankful that so far ours has been very good. We weren't able to get any more information on his birth father, but we are so happy to have what we do.
I want to say thanks again for everyone on this forum that gave us advice and support during our search. And to those still searching, Don't give up.
Joyce
Hi, I am new to all of this, and my older sister was adopted from St. Vincent's/St. Anthony's in 1950. We are just beginning her search for her birth-family. I am the one doing all the leg work, as she is not computer savay. But everytime I find something or read something I share it with her. I have high/positive hopes of finding her birth-family. Reading these posts gives me even more hope of finding them. When my parents adopted her, the nuns told them she had a lot of medical issues and thought they should pick a different child. But my dad INSISTED she was THE ONE he wanted. She was "his little girl"!! So 18 months later, it was finalized. My dad was the most wonderful man I ever knew! he passed away in 1981. "Thank you" to all for sharing.
louisemarteese
Hi, I am new to all of this, and my older sister was adopted from St. Vincent's/St. Anthony's in 1950. We are just beginning her search for her birth-family. I am the one doing all the leg work, as she is not computer savay. But everytime I find something or read something I share it with her. I have high/positive hopes of finding her birth-family. Reading these posts gives me even more hope of finding them. When my parents adopted her, the nuns told them she had a lot of medical issues and thought they should pick a different child. But my dad INSISTED she was THE ONE he wanted. She was "his little girl"!! So 18 months later, it was finalized. My dad was the most wonderful man I ever knew! he passed away in 1981. "Thank you" to all for sharing.
Your father :clap: sounds indeed like he was a wonderful man. I hope you have good luck on your search. Your sister is lucky to have you to help her. I'm doing the same thing for my brother. He's very stubborn about getting a computer but maybe this will convince him about all the things that are possible with one. My brother and sister were both adopted from St. Anthony's orphanage my brother in 1941 and my sister in 1945. When my mother passed away ten years ago there were lots of papers she had collected over the years. In her hope chest tucked in an out-of-the-way place were copies of the final decree granting the adoption for both of them. My sister was already deceased but I gave it to my niece and she was able to find her birth grandmother really quickly. You see the two final adoptions from the Juvenile Court in Kansas City had both the natural parents and the adoptive parents names on it as well as the names they were given as children. I gave my brother's copy to him but he lost it as he really wasn't interested but now he needs it in order to get a passport on account of the new restrictions they do not want to accept his revised birth certificate they want the original one but its been hard to get. Anyway we are going to fill out the form with the Court and see what we can come up with that way. Depending on who you talk to at the Courts will make a difference what you find out. They told my brother they didn't know what he was looking for and they would have nothing but obviously they do because I had copies of it. So we will try again with the form filled out and that should help.
Good luck again on your search.:flower:
Advertisements
lilybug80
Was this location always specifically for unwed mothers and adoptions? Is there a chance that you could have been born there (years 1946 - 1948) and not have been born out of wedlock or involved in an adoption? Did it ever operate as a "regular" (for lack of a better term) maternity hospital? Thanks in advance for your replies.
I don't know if this helps you but my brother was told (by our mother) that his mother and father were married but that they had an extremely large family and that they were having a lot of financial difficulties that kept them from being able to care for him.
So I know you inquired of there was anyone born to married parents and that is something for you on that for whatever its worth.
I was part of this discussion several years ago as Andromeda. Since I can't remember a password, I had to change my name and password to rejoin this board.
I research family history and have been quite active lately with my own family. While looking on a website that has Missouri death certificates available to the public. I was putting in family names to see if anyone had died in Missouri more than 50 years ago which is the most recent available on the site.
To my surprise I found an unnamed infant that was born in Fairmount Hospital in 1931. The death certificate said the baby was buried in a cemetery in Kansas. The mother and father's names were on the death certificate and gave their places of birth in Iowa. I have found the mother in 1920-30 censuses but not the father for sure.
The death certificate was signed by Harry S. Lane and the informant was Mrs. Ronnie or Bonnie Lee Lane, both addresses 4911 E. 27th, KC, which is the Fairmount Hospital address.
I have since learned that the mother who would now be nearly 100, married at least 5 times and I hope to learn more about her. Thought many of you might be interested in what happened to a woman who spent time in Fairmount & whose baby died. Frankly, I wish we could track more mothers who spent time in maternity homes and lost babies to adoption. It would make for very interesting social commentary. Lynn
I posted this to the wrong thread. I should have put it under the Fairmount Hospital thread. Does anyone know how to move it? Thanks
Hi, I am an adult adoptee from St. Anthony's Orphanage, and recently learned my birth mother's name. I was born in November 1961 at St. Vincent's, spent time with my birth mother until I was approximately 18 months, at which point I was take to St. Anthony's for adoption. I was adopted soon thereafter by wonderful people!
I know my birth mother's name, though there appear to be several iterations, spellings, and possible cousins with the same or similar name in the greater KC area. I don't not know my birth father's name. I know that my birth mother's family had a private business in the greater Kansas City area, but can't quite narrow that down. I know the date of my baptism at St. Vincent's, though the names are my adopted parents, I also have a 'birth certificate', again with my adopted parents names.
I'm looking for any advice or guidance.
Advertisements
I was born in St. Vincent's Hospital and placed in St. Anthony's Home for Infants in 1945. This is the first time I've seen anything about it. Thx.
Yes you have! I have recently found out my father was born here in 1943. I'm getting some help but it's a long road! I'm sure his parent's are deceased but maybe I might find distant family!
Thank you Blue Irish eyes. Very use full information. I just got my dad parents non ID information and said that my dad was born here in 1943. I'm hoping to find some of his family! I'm working with adoptionsearchservices.com. Now I'll just wait and see. Anyway thank you again. Just wished it wasn't such a long process, but there are wonderful people doing their best.
Advertisements
TwistedSister
Your father :clap: sounds indeed like he was a wonderful man. I hope you have good luck on your search. Your sister is lucky to have you to help her. I'm doing the same thing for my brother. He's very stubborn about getting a computer but maybe this will convince him about all the things that are possible with one. My brother and sister were both adopted from St. Anthony's orphanage my brother in 1941 and my sister in 1945. When my mother passed away ten years ago there were lots of papers she had collected over the years. In her hope chest tucked in an out-of-the-way place were copies of the final decree granting the adoption for both of them. My sister was already deceased but I gave it to my niece and she was able to find her birth grandmother really quickly. You see the two final adoptions from the Juvenile Court in Kansas City had both the natural parents and the adoptive parents names on it as well as the names they were given as children. I gave my brother's copy to him but he lost it as he really wasn't interested but now he needs it in order to get a passport on account of the new restrictions they do not want to accept his revised birth certificate they want the original one but its been hard to get. Anyway we are going to fill out the form with the Court and see what we can come up with that way. Depending on who you talk to at the Courts will make a difference what you find out. They told my brother they didn't know what he was looking for and they would have nothing but obviously they do because I had copies of it. So we will try again with the form filled out and that should help.
Good luck again on your search.:flower:
My father was at St. Anthony's in 1943. After a summer of digging and searching not a lot of results so far. I know it can be a long process so I'll keep looking!
My son was born in KC, not at St. Anthony's, and we got his original birth certificate more than 20 years ago when he needed his original adoption decree. His adoptive parents said they could not locate their original copy that was needed for some legal purpose and he and I proceeded to get both when we showed up in person at the county office.
When I saw that my name was prominent on the adoption decree, I realized that his parents had my name all those years and I felt sure that was the reason they had been unable to 'find' their copy. They didn't want him to see proof that they had known my name and his original name for more than 25 years.
He had never been told that his name at birth was James. He had only been told that his mother was 'a cute little blonde from Iowa'. The only accurate info in their statement was that I was from Iowa. I wasn't blonde; I wasn't little and I didn't think I was cute.
I believe issues like mother's names being on adoption decrees makes the argument that we were promised anonymity moot. There never was anonymity for the mothers, only for the adoptive parents who were not identified to mothers in any way, shape or form.
I'm also adopted and, while my mother was meticulous about keeping things, I have never found my adoption decree in her papers.