Advertisements
Advertisements
My husband are just starting the process of trying to adopt internationally and I am extremely fearful of the home study.
My husband had a DUI about 6 years ago when he was in the Navy. Shortly after that we met and were married a couple years later. As part of some exhausting infertility treatments we cut out all unhealthy lifestyle choices, including drinking. What was originally done to attempt getting pregnant eventually became a way of life. However shortly after moving to a new state his brother was in town and they went to dinner and had a couple of beers at dinner. Well wouldn't you know a police officer had someone pulled over in our apartments and walked over to ask him about the out of state tags. The officer asked my husband to take a sobriety test and my husband refused as he felt it was ridiculous because he was already home. Bad idea!!!- create DUI #2 - this was only 6 months ago. As a result he has agreed to never drink again, as it appears to us God was trying to teach a valuable lesson. My husband has undergone classes and psychciatric evaluation for his probation, and asc a result of this evaluation it was decided by the doctor that he had no problems with alcohol and no trearmewnt neccesay.(just bad luck and poor judgement!!)
Is this going to keep us from being able to adopt?
We are young (30) healthy individuals with good jobs, a beautiful home, in the district with the best schools in Ga. and we are trying to create a life that would be ideal for a child. Do we have any hope? While we have infertility issues on my side we probably could concieve with IVF, but we love the idea of adoption, as my husband says "help a baby not have a baby". Are we dead in the water or is there a chance we could get approved?-
Advertisements
We adopted out daughter from the state foster system. My husband had 2 previous DUI's but they were both over 15 years old. None the less they showed up on his back ground check and the one DUI had happened 20 years prior when he was home on leave from the army. Due to the time frame they were not held againist us because my husband never had any more charges against him for anything.
And just so everyone knows, he no longer drinks at all.
Judilyn
They were both misdemeanors.
Should I just bring these up immediately in the home study.
I don't think I want to hide and wait for the questions, I kind of want to just throw them out and confront it head first.
What do you think?
PS thanks for the responses.. this whole thing gives me nightmares...and not sure where to look for answers.
I don't think it will matter.
1) The 2nd offense was not a moving violation and it wasn't a felony.
2) Large gap btwn the 1st and 2nd.
3) You sought a psycho analysis and went took DUI educational classes.
It takes a big heart to open up your home to kids who have no home and are awaiting adoption. If I were to compare someone who gets a DUI to someone who brings a drug exposed baby into this world and doesn't get put in jail, I would rather my child be with a person who received a DUI anyday.
Not saying that getting a DUI is ok because you take a risk and put other people at risk as well. It doesn't have to be your husband who would run into someone, but someone could run into your husband and get killed. Your husband would be looking at a Federal DUI.
Hi, I realize that this thread is very old, but I am wondering what the outcome was?? My DH had a DUI 3 yrs ago and we are waiting on approval as to whether we can adopt. He was very upfront about the incident and took all the classes etc required. It was a misdemeanor.
I would love to know if you were allowed to adopt??
Thanks, I really hope everything worked out for the best.
T.
Advertisements
The investigation of a woman's disappearance 24 years ago -- now considered a homicide -- picked up steam Monday as police used ground-penetrating radar to search a property near Ball Pond.
---------------------------
valrossie
[URL="http://www.legalx.net"]California DUI[/URL]
As parents, Im sure you realize the importance of toy safety and that creating a safe play environment is an everyday issue and paramount for the well-being of children. TIA (Toy Industry Association), the trade association of the North American toy industry, has a ғcyber hotline Ԗ [url=http://www.toyhotline.org]TIA | Play[/url] that features sound, common sense advice to parents and caregivers regarding toy safety.
------------
Tanyaa
[URL="http://www.legalx.net"]California Dui[/URL]
Many states have a progressive DUI policy, which generally means that a first-time offender may not receive the maximum penalty allowed under the law. A judge can use some discretion when sentencing those convicted of DUI you should find the right legal experts to assist and direct you along the path of magisterial proceedings and seek legal help at once from [URL="http://www.duilawyers.com/"] DUI lawyers[/URL]
Hello, I'm wondering if anyone can help. My husband and I are adopting a waiting international child. I had a DWI 9 1/2 years ago in the State of Texas. We were told we had to send all the paperwork in (court disposition, counseling appointment review, letter of remorse etc) to the State so that we can find out if I am clear and eligible to adopt. It's been three weeks and the agency has not gotten a reply back from the State. This is the only thing holding up our home study. We have all else turned in. Does anyone know how long this process takes?
Advertisements
Hi there. I read your post and I posted something similar below on this page. We are dealing with the same thing now. I"m curious to know if you ever got approval? and if so, how long did it take for them to give you the approval? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
Hi, I realize that this thread is very old, but I am wondering what the outcome was?? My DH had a DUI 3 yrs ago and we are waiting on approval as to whether we can adopt. He was very upfront about the incident and took all the classes etc required. It was a misdemeanor.
I would love to know if you were allowed to adopt??
Thanks, I really hope everything worked out for the best.
T.