Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
Thread: Want a family
Originally Posted By Liz
We have adopted two "older" children. Our older daughter was 13 when we were matched with her and 14 years old when the adoption was finalized. She is so much like my husband that most people who don't know her history have a very hard time believing she has only been part of our family for 4 years. I expect that we will have a very hard time getting her to leave home someday. She has repeatedly told us that she wants to go to a local college so that she can live at home until she is finished with college and ready to get married!!! Even though we moved her halfway across the country to join our family only a few years ago, I would say she is definately secure about where she belongs and her place in this family. We adopted our younger daughter (age 10) the year after the first. She had been shuffled back and forth between numerous foster homes since she was four. Our younger daughter took about a week to decide that we were "Mommy and Daddy" and only a day or two to decide that our older child was her "Sissy". She has fit in so well that we know it was meant to be. I can't even imagine how we ever considered ourselves to be happy before these children joined our family. They have brought us such joy that I encourage everyone thinking of adoption to consider an older child. Best of luck!