Welcome to the Search and Reunion Message Board!
For information regarding adoption related information and records:
Hawaii Department of Human Services
810 Richards Street, Suite 400
Honolulu, HI 96813
(808) 586-5698
Fax: (808) 586-5925
Non-Identifying Information: Adoptive parents and adopted adults may receive ethnic and medical history.
dentifying Information: For adoptions finalized before January 1, 1991, adopted adults or adoptive parents must petition the court for information. The court will send a notice to the last known address of the birth parents. If no response is received, the adopted adult can access his or her information. For adoptions finalized after December 31, 1990, the adopted adult or adoptive parents can receive information if there is no affidavit on file requesting confidentiality.
Using the State of Hawaii Adoption Registry: Adopted adults and birth parents may register.
Family Court Registry
Court Management Services
777 Punchbowl Street
Honolulu, HI 96811
Obtaining an Original Birth Certificate: An adoptee must petition the court in which the adoption was finalized.
Other great websites to check out:
[url=] Forums[/url]
[url=]Adoption Lists - Photolistings, Support Groups, Mailing Lists - Agency, Exchange, Failed, Feel, Find[/url]
[url=] - Information on International, Domestic, Child & Agency Adoptions, Stories, Laws -[/url]
[url=]Adopting - Adopt a Baby, Child, Infants, Kids, Older, Services, International, Information China -[/url]
[url=]Adoption Registry - Records, Reunion Registries, Adoptees, Search Reunite[/url]
Colleen, Hawaii also allows a birthparent to obtain an original copy of the birth certificate WITHOUT the adoptee's permission, provided the adoptee is 18. In addition, if a request goes out to a birthparent requesting the unsealing of adoption records and the address of the birthparents is no good, an adoptee can appoint an intermediary to try and track down the birthparents (Fee is $300), and the intermediary has 180 days. If the search is unsuccessful, the adoptee gets access to the adoption records. The same is true in the reverse sense: the birthparent(s) are seeking the adoptee.
Also, all forms to petition the court for the unsealing of adoption records, request for original birth certificate, or to be placed in the Hawaii registry not yet on Hawaii's website, so you must request the form through the mail and provide a self-addressed, stamped envelope.