Advertisements
Advertisements
Adoptions can be handled differently, depending on the agency, the states involved, and the individuals who processed them. (Also, the laws in effect when the adoption took place.)
There might be files with a maternity home, an adoption agency, the Social Services Office for DC, the Social Services Office for VA, and the probate court of VA. The most complete file might be with the VA probate court, who I would think made the final decision and approved the adoption.
You can begin by making inquiries to each possible agency, not asking FOR information, but just feeling out if they HAVE information.
You also want to look for someone in each of those states (perhaps from these boards) who's familiar with the local offices, laws and customs.
Best wishes, and good luck!
Advertisements
I was going through my own baby album and found the Certificate of Birth.....Preaently I have filled out all the releases and everything and got information from the Commonwealth of Virginia that they are actively searcing. My birth shows Washington DC but the adoption shows Arlington VA.....Geographically they are close but I have been searching in Washington DC should I also register in VA boards?
See my post, above.
But the short answer is Yes, look in both states.
There will be (at least) 2 different files...one maintained in the state that released the child to be adopted out-of-state, and another in the state where the adoption was finalized.
Advertisements
The good thing about applying to access files in both states is that even if you get only the "non-identifying" information...which is adoption paperwork with specific names, etc., blocked out...the two different offices will prepare the copies for you in different ways. One of them might mistakenly fail to block out something (a date, the last letter in a name, a location) that the other office has.
You are basically unraveling a mystery, and you want as much evidence as you can gather, regardless of how imperfect it is. It is often by combining these imperfect fragments that you get closer to seeing the whole picture.
ISO of baby girl I (your amom and I agreed on your first name)named Kaitlin. Your dob is 8/28/89 and to my knowledge you are still living at the same address in Richmond, VA. You have your sister there (Brittany) but also another sister. You were born in Newport, RI at Newport Hospital.
Patiently waiting for you.