Advertisements
Advertisements
Welcome to the world of DCFS! I hope you don't think I'm being flippant, but they act that badly toward everyone.
**If you don't have kids they get an attitude and say "then how do you know you really want and can handle children?".
**If you do have bio children you're parenting then you're asked "how do you know you could love and treat adopted children the same?".
**If you already adopted children you're asked "did you tell the previous worker/birthfamily those kids wouldn't always be your only priority?"
Etc.
Most DCFS workers are just rude. Maybe they're underpaid, or overworked, or influenced by supervisors who are rude. I don't know. But the answer you got was very, very typical.
Sometimes I feel like giving them some credit and I think they're nasty because they need to see how you respond to people who are nasty. Because people are nasty toward parents who adopt, too, like you say they're nasty toward people who placed a child.
Call them back, better prepared this time. It doesn't matter what that telephone person thinks, you want a packet of information and to be told when the next orientation session is. You want to attend that orientation and be trained and homestudied, just like any other potential adopter. It's the homestudy worker you'll have to worry about, but so far they seem to be the nicest of everyone at the DCFS office I've had to have contact with. You just have to run a guantlet of nasty people whose opinions don't matter to get to the nice ones.
Good luck!