Advertisements
Advertisements
Well, I had a nightmare trying to get to the "right" person. The first person I talked to was a DSS rep from a different county. She was fantastic----until she realized I didn't live in her area and her county doesn't allow them to work with non residents. She told me to call my area's DSS. When I finally got a human, I was told 1) that I had to understand I couldn't "just" do it for the money (at the time, I didn't even know about subsidies) 2) that if I wasn't a stay at home mother I wouldn't be welcomed in any of the (required) classes and I shouldn't be so picky (after all I wanted a child 2-18, of any race, medical or behavioral need, but preferrably preteen to teen). I complained, but really didn't get anywhere. Luckily, I called a private agency and got a great SW who was supportive and encouraging. Then, disaster struck just a month before everything would be finished, and the agency lost funding for my area. Since then, things have been sooo slow.
So, I don't just think its trying to weed out the uncommitted. I think its a combination of being underfunded, frustrated and frankly just not seeing potential adoptive families as a priority.