Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi! I was born 4/24/1963 at Misericordia Hospital, The Bronx, NYC, NY. Agency New York Catholic Foundling. I was told that my birth mother "stayed in a home near the hospital" and that this may have been Rosalie Hall. Are there any birthmoms who were there Spring of 1963 (winter 1962????) who may have known her? My birth name was Margaret Horn, but I'm not sure if that was her name or not. Thanks!
Hi Margaret,
My name is Tara. I read your post as I ,too was born in Misericordia Hospital in the Bronx in 1963 . (October)
At one point during my search, I was in touch with a really nice lady who gave birth in Sept. 63 and stayed at the mothers home they provided at the time. She told me the girls who stayed there were not allowed to call eachother by name, rather only thier initials. She also told me they were able to bring their babies back to the residence and would silently surrender the child to the nun when the foster agency came to get them. She was very informative and I lost her e-mail address. I was upset about that as she was terrific. ( I wished SHE was my birth mother) Good luck, Tara
PS, Misericordia hospital is now Our lady of Mercy.
Advertisements
I was born in 68 thru Misercordia and Rosalie Hall. Please note that the moms were also assigned 'fake' surnames- instead of Solomon my mother was listed as Spence- this made it very hard to obtain medical records. (they claimed they didn't have them but I had an attorney call them and low and behold I got them-of course it was the week after I found!)
I do know that back in the late 50's when the babies were baptized in the hospital they did it in a group- and they were not allowed to hold their own baby. A woman I met in a support group found her mom and her mother told her how there were about 6 girls baptizing their babies and all were looking at each to see which was their's.
Rosalie Hall is still in existence and now tries to help mother's keep their babies as well as offer adoption. But they will not help with info- my mother wrote them recently and they simply referred her to the agency-where my records were destroyed with thousands of others in a fire. email me at leigh53168@yahoo.com if you want to discuss further.
Hi, I was born at Rosalie Hall, Misericordia Hospital on 1 Feb 57, then placed for adoption in Boston, Mass by Catholic Charities.
Or at least I think I was: I was told Rosalie Hall was in Mid-town Manhattan at that time. Does anyone know if this is true? I was baptized when I was 13 days old at St John the Evangelist Church, again in mid-town Manhattan.
Can anyone give me any more info about what went on at Rosalie Hall in the '50s? Recently I had a researcher find my birthname, which was Kathleen Twomey. My non-ident. info says my birthparents were Irish and Danish/Irish - fat chance of this if you saw me or my 2 daughters. There's no Irish there at all that anyone can see, although the Danish is evident.
Were the surnames made up for both mother & child that were then put on the original birth certificate? I'm not getting much help from Catholic Charities in my search, they are always subtly obstructive - as always, they would just like me to stop asking question sand go away.
All help gratefully received. My email is kwhite@chevin-research.com
Kate Namous.
I was born December 13, 1967 in The Bronx NY. I was then adopted Through Catholic Home Bureau in December 1969. Catholic home bureau kept their records at the Iron Mountain facilities (my birth records were destroyed I was told via letter by arson fire in March 1997) connected to Rosalee Hall where mothers stayed then gave birth to babies at Misericordia Hospital in the Bronx, but known in 1967 as Our Lady of Mercy. I was baptized in NY on December 18th at St. Edwards. Im looking for any information on anyone born there or residents or staff in the late 1967. I do not know my birth parents names or my birth name. I was told Mother was Italian age 20 Father was Puerto Rican age 32. Nationality was confirmed through DNA testing. I would like to locate them and or any information about them. Interested in finding others with similiar findings in above information
Thank you
Vivian