Advertisements
Advertisements
During my reunion, I found out that I am 25% Cherokee Indian. My birthmother is originally from Georgia, and she is half Cherokee. Even though I am only a quarter Cherokee, I am most interested in finding out more about my heritage.
Does anyone know how to contact the Cherokee tribe? Would they provide information to me or let me "join"?
Thank you,
Tina
My birth mother's name is Judy Davis. I was told she had two daughters through another man who wasnt my father. One of the daughters was named Trianna or Teanna or something simaliar sounding to your name. Apparantly, I also have aunt named Brenda who is living in Goergia. My mother was one of many siblings, all who went into foster care when their father died. I'v been searching for my sisters for years, but without any names, dates or even the name of my birthmother's parents there isnt alot I can do. Im also about a half cherokee. It would be nice to have a family.
Please reply or contact me
Advertisements
Originally posted by cj416
My Dh is Cherokee and he is blonde haired and blue eyed too. I thought he was joking when he said he was Indian, but sure enough he has the roll card to show for it..
I have heard it said many many times that if you are blonde haired and blue eyed AND Indian, you MUST be Cherokee. I have heard that the Cherokee registration requirements are known to be a bit more lax than some other tribes.
-Scott
What kind of information do they need? I am currently searching and only have my NON ID info stating that my Grandfather was Cherokee. Only have my Bparents last names..
Curious. :D
TIA!
Originally posted by cj416
Names, birth and date of death and a roll number if they had one.
Oh well, guess I'm out until I get more information.
Thanks!! :D
Advertisements
Wish I could be more help, but all I know is when dh filled out the form for his card he had to have both his parents D.O.B. and any grandparents D.O.B. and D.O.D. He happened to have his grandmothers roll number. The less info you have the longer it takes to get info.
Good Luck!
I was adopted and my bmom is 3/4 Cherokee and herself registerd. I ahd to petition the courts to get my orginal birth certificate, adoption papers and a copy of my bmoms CIB card to register in the cherokee nation. You can use the ICWA to open your adoption papers if you are native american because the law protects native american childen and those adopted their rights to tribal membership. (federal law)If you contact the Cherokee nation they will send you the application for enrolment and answer all your questions, good luck.
Little d
Originally posted by Little D
I was adopted and my bmom is 3/4 Cherokee and herself registerd. I ahd to petition the courts to get my orginal birth certificate, adoption papers and a copy of my bmoms CIB card to register in the cherokee nation. You can use the ICWA to open your adoption papers if you are native american because the law protects native american childen and those adopted their rights to tribal membership. (federal law)If you contact the Cherokee nation they will send you the application for enrolment and answer all your questions, good luck.
Little d
Did they help you get your records? I can't find a link for help about this, can you point me in the right direction or should I just send them an email?
I'd appreciate the help!
Thank you! :D
Advertisements
Originally posted by Adopted1968
Thank you! Someday when I get all my info, I'll be back!
:D
Thanks again!
Yeah, you guys try contacting the cherokee.org! I emailed over a month ago and still haven't received a response. Its so frustrating!!!
Crysti
The agency is Edna Gladney. They said they didn't know what tribe. I have no idea if my birth grandfather has a card.
Would that be enough for Edna Gladney to open my records?
I have no clue what my birthmother's dad's name was, or hers.
Any ideas as to what to do. How much Indian do I have in me to be qualified.
Shirlus@charter.net
My DOB is 8/27/78 from the Edna Gladney Home, Fort Worth, Texas at the Duncan Memorial Hospital Tarrant Co, Tx.
6# 11 l/2ozs. ash blonde hair brown eyes.
My birthmother was 16 yrs. old, 5' 6" tall 130#, ash blonde hair, brown eyes, Baptist, 11th grade, B student, She wore glasses for nearsightedness, allergic to cough syrup, hospitalized at age 6.
She was right handed, loved dancing, tennis, plants arts and crafts. She wanted to return home and become either an interior decorator, or a secretary after highschool.
finalized March 8, 1979, Tarrant Co.,Tx. bu Judge Joe H. Edison, Jr.
The birth certificate no. is:142-78-155980
My adoptive parents are:Leo Lynn Bailey, Jr. and Shirley Marie Cooper Bailey.
Birthfather was 17 with blonde hair, brown eyes, 6' 2" tall weighing 185#, highschool, liked sports, motorcycles, and swimming. He had no prior children born to him.
Birthmother's mom 34, Dept. Store Buyer, Baptist.
Birthmother's father 36, Dept. Store Manager, Baptist.
Birthmother's sister was 15, Baptist and had some kind of kidney disorder.
Contact me at Shirlus@charter.net
hi if you know some information, i have the dawes rolls, i can look for you.
susan
ps. i am searching for twin daughters, born march 20 1979, anything sound familiar, please let me know.
Hi Susan!
I actually found my Birth Family YESTERDAY!!! So I am still learning about them...
I know the MGrandfathers name is iffy, he had a few... he is Louis/Levi/L. Atkins but not sure of DOB, I thought I had it but dont... lemme check on that....
Thanks!
Crysti
Advertisements
Susan Sharp
hi if you know some information, i have the dawes rolls, i can look for you.
susan
ps. i am searching for twin daughters, born march 20 1979, anything sound familiar, please let me know.
Hi again!
It was my BGrandmother that was Cherokee, her name was Johnnie / Johnnye Mildred Murphy (married: Atkins). Her DOB is: January 14, 1916 and she was born in Kemp TX.
I hope that does it, I'm crossing my fingers!! Thank you. :)
Crysti
Wow, ok. I didn't know that. I've been fighting an uphill battle with my adoption agency to get my records opened. Now if I can petition the courts with the ICWA, I might be able to get my info...ok. According to my non-id info, both my my parents were part Cherokee (didn't say how much or if they were recognized tribal members), my adoption was 1 year before the ICWA was passed.