Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
Wow,
birthmothers everywhere wish that they had had a man that would have cared for them and their baby...as you seem to truly have wanted to. Your daughter's birthmother was blessed and did not realize or appreciate it...just to let you know you should be proud that you are starting to initiate contact, most birthfathers run from it.
For your daughter...tell her she is beautiful and you love her. If you know anything about her that you like, compliment that. Let her know that you aren't ashamed of her, but instead loved her so much that she's with the family she's in now because you wanted her to have the best care that she could have as soon as possible. You could tell her what she means to you, any dreams you've had for her, well wishes and just a little about yourself. Kids are very curious and forgiving at a young age...so, with a little explination she should be receptive (like most 5 year olds are). I would avoid, however, gruesome details or negativity towards her birthmother...those are things that she needs to decide on for herself when she's old enough, and they can backfire on you (especially if she doesn't have contact with her birthmom). Just focus on the positives between you and her, tell the truth and make it personal.
I hope I could help, I've had some experience writing to my birthdaughter, my "adopted birthson" (her older brother from another uninvolved birthmom) and I've had years and years of work with kids...hope some of this can help you with that big first step. Hugs to you for doing it.