Advertisements
Advertisements
I was there from April to August 1973. I believe my group was one of the last of unwed mothers before it became a children's home. It was not a bad place for what it was. The staff tried to make it as good an experience as it could be under the circumstances. My son was born August 2 1973 at St. Johns Riverside Hospital in Yonkers. Family Services of Westchester handled the actual adoption. I was not told much about the adoptive parents except they were unable to have children of their own and the woman enjoyed crafting. I have always regretted giving up my son but at the time I didn't think I had any other choice. I would love to hear from anyone who was at the home from any year.
Judy
Same date and place I was born. I encountered another woman who was in this home at this time and is also looking for her son. I'm trying to track down my birth parents. She mentioned you. Here's hoping.
Advertisements
I just came across this link to an out of print book, "The Unmarried Mother and Her Child," written by Katherine Corbin Parsons, who ran Saint Faith's House in Tarrytown for many years after the original founder, Lena McGhee, died. Hopefully the link works and you'll be able to page through it. It's a fascinating look into the struggles of running the home, and the lives of the women and girls who stayed there.
I know this is an old thread, but with the new law changes in NY i discovered my Birth Mother was in this house. 53 south broadway Tarrytown is listed as her address on my birth certificate. Her name was Sharon Thomas and I was born in February 1966. While i realize finding her is a long shot, i would be curious to know what happens to these ladies after they give birth. Do they continue to live in the house? hopefully they are not thrown out onto the streets
I know this is an old thread, but with the new law changes in NY i discovered my Birth Mother was in this house. 53 south broadway Tarrytown is listed as her address on my birth certificate. Her name was Sharon Thomas and I was born in February 1966. While i realize finding her is a long shot, i would be curious to know what happens to these ladies after they give birth. Do they continue to live in the house? hopefully they are not thrown out onto the streets
Typically after birth (at St. John's Riverside, in Yonkers, your mother would be asked to relinquish her parental rights to the County of Westchester where you would have been in foster care for a short time and then handed over to your adoptive family. I believe the children of "Christian" faith would have been offered baptismal rights at the Episcopal Church which may have addition records in Tarrytown. The "actual legal adoption" would usually take place 1 year+ after your birth. If you are interested in additional information about finding your birth parents you should take DNA testing at AncestryDNA , and 23andme to maximize and then upload your results to FTDNA.com and Myheritage.com to look for familial DNA matches. If you would like help check out DNAadoption,com and Facebook support pages: New York Adoptees & Friends, Search squad, and DNA Friends and Family
Sincerely, Dr, Richard Righthand, born to my 16 year old unwed mother, Stephanie, who was forced to give me up for adoption in 1956 and sadly never got to meet me.
1 Liked
 likes this.
Hi! I was born in May 1959 and looking for my birth mother Carol Helen Gardner. She was 16 at the time and was at this same home and gave birth to me at St. John’s. I was adopted in CT. Will look into the FCA as well. Much blessings to all who are in the same search as I am.
Deborah Cheek
Rochester NY
Last update on February 25, 7:42 pm by Deborah Cheek.
1 Liked
 likes this.
Advertisements
Deborah, my husband was born in March of 1959, and his birth mother stayed at St. Faith’s. He was also adopted in Ct. He recently received his non-ID info from FCA, but we are still waiting for his pre-Adoption BC from NY.
Hi! I was born in May 1959 and looking for my birth mother Carol Helen Gardner. She was 16 at the time and was at this same home and gave birth to me at St. John’s. I was adopted in CT. Will look into the FCA as well. Much blessings to all who are in the same search as I am.
Deborah Cheek
Rochester NY
For anyone interested, my birth-mother was at St. Faith's and I too was born at St. John's hospital in 1968. NY passed a new law that went into effect in January of this year, where all adopted kids are now legally allowed to obtain a copy of their pre-adoption birth certificate. I sent my forms in the day the law went into effect (Jan. 15 2020), and I just received the certificate this week. Between getting that the birth certificate, and paying to have a "Records Review" through Family Services of Westchester (which I highly recommend), and doing 2 DNA tests (I used 23&me & AncestryDNA), I have found out the names of both of my birth-parents. Unfortunately, my birth-father passed away a couple of weeks before I found him. I'm not having much luck with my birth mother, even with her name. So I am still working on that mystery. Hope the suggestions help someone out there, because it can be a very difficult journey.
Hello all, I work at the office building that used to be this home (now 55 South Broadway). We were told by the building owner Dennis Noskin that all the adoption records left in the building were taken for storage by the Christ Episcopal Church directly next door on the corner and if anyone ever came looking for information that the church would be the best place to point them in the right direction. I hope this helps anyone that is looking for more info, God Bless you all on your search
Jazzy B.