Advertisements
Advertisements
I just found and quickly skimmed this thread. I agree with others who say regression is necessary and healthy for her. As encouragement, I would tell you that one of my perfectly normal bio sons came into our room as a 16 year old with his pillow and blanket and asked if he could sleep on our floor that night. I would never relate that to just anyone, however. Today he is 26 and a wonderful father himself. As a 7 year old, she will probably move through developmental stages with some rapidity and recognize what would be appropriate in public or in the presence of others. If not, you may help her with that.
Blessings,
Julie
Advertisements
If her developmental age is around 3 or 4 all I can say is from my experience. My bio son is 4, always been with us, no trauma. Every now and then he wants to "play baby" . I have heard of others this age also doing this, when they want more attention or are feeling insecure, sometimes I think he just thinks its fun. It doesn't bother me, I'll pick him up and rock him or give him a bottle with water. This is not all the time mind you. But I at least for me with a securely attatched child, he still does this and I don't think it means he needs therapy! We do also have a baby and maybe he thinks as a baby he'll get more attention, and have less things to do like pickup toys. If its not chronic behavior I think its what is called "imaginative play" trying on different roles.
I have adopted 2 boys that are 9 and 11. Both are perfectly normal, but come from the foster care system that has not been kind to them. They have no "disorders" A students, very intelligent. They dont want attention more than any other "normal" kid would.
I say that because of this. If the child "needs" the bottle or pacifier because of whatever reason, they will either get it from you or get the need satisfied other ways. That could include drugs, smoking, and other bad habits. They could also go get the stuff behind your back and could OVERDO it. At least if they tell you, you can "control" it.
why do I know? Nate, my 9 year old hid the fact he wet the bed for 4 months from us. He was very cunning. Learned to wash stuff when we werent aware, layer towels, etc. We caught on when last Saturday I washed ALL bedding for the boys, and Sunday morning before work I had his bedding in the washer. I lifted it and discovered the urine. After a long talk, he admitted it, and we had him examined by his doctor. NO he isnt sick, no he doesnt do it for attention. His body is growing too fast and his bladder cant keep up. So we compromised with him to regular diapers at night.
After his first night waking up wet but feeling the great feeling that the diaper worked, he approached us and asked for a pacifier and bottle. We asked why, and he didnt know why, so he said. We did. When I made his bed, he forgot to hide his prize posession. A nuk 3 pacifier. In the closet was a used bottle with a little water left in it. We told him we would consider it, and he walked away dejected. His brother begged us to consider it, and even "offered" to join him for support. What he didnt know I found his stash also. We ordered their size pacifiers and bottles and will regulate when and how long they use the stuff. With OUR ability to approve it, then we can control it before it becomes a dental or psychological problem.
I hope this helps.