Advertisements
Advertisements
Welcome to the Search and Reunion Message Board:
For those people whose adoptions were facilitated by Catholic Charities you might want to contact them to find out what services are available to you through their agency. Contact the office in the city that processed the adoption paperwork. If you do not know the city location contact this office for inquiries:
Catholic Charities USA
National Headquarters
1731 King St, Alexandria, VA 22314
(703) 549-1390
For adoptees requesting non-identifying informationӔ about birth parents here are some questions that you might ask:
A. Ages of birth parents at the time of relinquishment
B. Marital status of birth parents
C. Other siblings born before the adoptee
D. Physical description of birth parents
E. Ethnicity of birth parents
F. Occupation of birth parents
G. Education of birth parents
H. Information about aunts, uncles and grandparents
I. Reason for relinquishment
For birth parents requesting non-identifying informationӔ about the adopting family:
A. Ages of adopting parents at the time of adoption
B. Other children in the adoptive family, biological and adopted
C. Physical description, ethnicity, occupations and education of adopting parents
D. Confirm date of birth of relinquished child
Both adoptees and birth parents should ask:
A. If Catholic Charities maintains a registryӔ where you can submit the information about the birth, relinquishment and adoption information.
B. If Catholic Charities provides a Waiver for Consent to Contact FormӔ for both parties.
C. If Catholic Charities provides a Confidential IntermediaryӔ search service to locate the birth relative that you are looking for.
Other great websites to check out:
[URL="http://www.adoptionchat.com"]Adoption.com Forums[/URL]
[URL="http://www.adoption.com"]Adoption.com - Information on International, Domestic, Child & Agency Adoptions, Stories, Laws -[/URL]
[URL="http://www.adopting.org"]Adopting - Adopt a Baby, Child, Infants, Kids, Older, Services, International, Information China -[/URL]
[URL="http://registry.adoption.com/"]Adoption Registry - Records, Reunion Registries, Adoptees, Search Reunite[/URL]
1 Liked
 likes this.
Advertisements
Hi, I have a few questions; what do you mean by the following:
A. If Catholic Charities maintains a registryӔ where you can submit the information about the birth, relinquishment and adoption information.
What is that... a registry? Do you mean ....For up to
date info on the birth parents and/or adoptee?...
B. If Catholic Charities provides a Waiver for Consent to Contact FormӔ for both parties.
Was that available in 1965?
C. If Catholic Charities provides a Confidential IntermediaryӔ search service to locate the birth relative that you are looking for.
I don't know what that term means? please explain.
Thank you for responding.
Originally posted by valevictorian65
Hi, I have a few questions; what do you mean by the following:
What is that... a registry? Do you mean ....For up to
date info on the birth parents and/or adoptee?...
Was that available in 1965?
I don't know what that term means? please explain.
Thank you for responding.
Contact the phone number I left in my message and see what services Catholic Charities will provide for you in your state of adoption. These services can vary within the same agency but different state laws.
A "Registry" and a "Waiver" process are when both parties, the adoptee and a birth relative, submit up-to-date contact information to Catholic Charities in case the other party is looking for them.
A "Confidential Intermediary" service is provided in some states that have a law providing for the agency, as an intermediary, to search for and locate either the adoptee or the birth relative upon request. The term confidential means that the agency will not share contact information unless both parties agree that this is what they want. A Confidential Intermediary search depends on "mutual consent". If an adoptee requests that Catholic Charities search for their birthmother in a state that allows this...the agency will locate and contact the birthmother. However, if the birthmother declines contact the agency will not give the adoptee any information with which to contact the birthmother themselves. The birthmother's information then would remain "confidential"...
All of these services need for BOTH parties to "register", file a "Waiver for Consent to Contact" or agree to contact with the other party.
Warmest regards,
The Search Guru
Advertisements
Can you tell me what Catholic Charities does regarding adoptions? Do they handle the adoption? Mom gave up a girl born in 1946. We think she was in the Florence Crittenden home in Newark, and that Catholic Charities handled the adoption. Does that make sense, would it have been done that way?
Welcome to the Search and Reunion Message Board!
Many times the birthmother went to a maternity home and then an adoption agency facilitated the relinquishment and adoption proceedings. You might contact Catholic Charities for more information:
Catholic Charities
P.O. Box 5147, 70 Lawrenceville Road
Trenton, NJ 08638
(609) 406-7400
Note: New Jersey has a “Confidential Intermediary” search program that will locate and contact birth relatives. See information below:
State of New Jersey Confidential Intermediary: Confidential intermediary services are provided through the registry.
State of New Jersey Adoption Registry: The following persons may use the registry: adopted adults, adoptive parents of minor adoptee, and birth parents. At the request of an adopted adult, or of a minor adoptee with permission from his or her adoptive parents, the registry will conduct a search for birth relative(s) who have not registered.
New Jersey Department of Human Services (for public agency adoptions only)
Division of Youth and Family Services
Adoption Registry Coordinator
PO Box 717
Trenton, NJ 08625
(609) 984-6800
(609) 292-8816
For adoption related information and records:
New Jersey Department of Human Services
Division of Youth and Family Services
50 East State Street, 5th Floor, CN 717
Trenton, NJ 08625-0717
(609) 984-2380
Fax: (609) 984-5449
Non-Identifying Information: Adopted adults, adoptive parents of a minor adoptee, or birth parents can receive non-identifying information through the registry.
Identifying Information: Identifying information is provided through a registry.
Original Birth Certificate: An adoptee must petition the court in which the adoption was finalized to receive.
Providing Information: Cards and letters may be provided to the registry to be given to the intended party upon that party's registration.
Other great websites to check out:
[url=http://www.adoptionchat.com]Adoption.com Forums[/url]
[url=http://www.adoption.com]Adoption.com - Information on International, Domestic, Child & Agency Adoptions, Stories, Laws -[/url]
[url=http://www.adopting.org]Adopting - Adopt a Baby, Child, Infants, Kids, Older, Services, International, Information China -[/url]
[url=http://registry.adoption.com/]Adoption Registry - Records, Reunion Registries, Adoptees, Search Reunite[/url]
Advertisements
dear searcher, My mom gave up her daughter in rochester NY in june 1968 but we live in texas, she was only sent to NY to hide her pregnancy. She was only 17 and she cant remember the adoption agency, she thinks it was catholic charites or sacred heart, are they the same thing? Does catholic charities in rochester have a registry or can they locate the adoptee and let them know my mom is looking? Do you know their phone #? Sorry so many questions! one more, are catholic charites and catholic family services the same thing. PLEASE HELP! I would love to hear any advice you can give us. thanks. angelajoy
If the adoption was through Catholic charities but the baby was born in AL and the papers signed in FL by the birthmom, where would she look? AL or FL? Is there anyway for her to make contact with her daughter? Also if a birth mother was told that the adoption was supposed to be open and then the adoptive parents didn't hold up to that is there anything she can do about this??
Thanks,
srchin'
1 Liked
 likes this.
I have a few questions.
Did Catholic Charities send children out of birth state to be adopted?
Why would a Catholic Charity release a child to the state instead putting up for adoption?
And where would a child go after that.
How does a birth sibling register with Catholic Charities if birth parent is still alive and is not interested in search?
I have started to search for my birth family. I was born 12/10/1979 in Buffalo, NY. I was born at Mercy Hospital which is part of the Catholic Health Systems. I was told that I was adopted trough the hospital. I know that my mother was 15 and something about my grandparents. Where can I go from here? Can anyone help????
Advertisements
i was adopterd through catholic services in florida. i was born 6-20-1979. i have lots of basic info on my mother and her side of the family, very little on my father though. i know she was one of 12 or 13 sibilings,,,, any ideas on how i can find more info???:confused:
MY name is Patty and I am seaching for my birth mom. I was adopted through Catholic Charities and need some help in what to do! I know my birth name and date of birth and place but need some ideas as to what I can do to find my birth mom!