Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
Awhile ago, I would've thought changing your last name would've been sufficient. Another member educated me (it might have been BrandyHagz; I don't remember), pointing out that as long as this person's name is on your birth certificate, he is still considered your next of kin and although you are an adult, he may have some influence and control over you, such as the right to make decisions for you in the event of your death, or in the event that you were incapacitated.
So... if this would be a problem for you, I would definitely recommend getting his name off your birth certificate, not just changing your name.
There must be some way to do this legally; adoptive parents have the right to disrupt adoptions if they don't work out; I can't imagine that adult adoptees don't have the right to do the same.
If I were you, I would speak to an attorney about it. Since your birthfather is deceased and cannot readopt you, it may be a matter of having someone else agree to "adopt" you. I know, it sounds kind of silly, but I imagine this is what would have to happen. I've heard (again, you'd have to check with an attorney) that any adult can legally adopt any other adult, as long as they are at least one year older?
Best wishes to you, ~ Sharon