Advertisements
Advertisements
T,
It was horrible- she only knew me as Mom. She had a GAL. This GAL was (is) an attorney- in NC this is done when a parent has been in the system to avoid a "conflict of interest". This GAL NEVER visited our home, and only saw the child twice in nearly 3 years. She did state multiple times that it was apparent that she was better off in our home. GAL did not say this in court.
However, in what to me was a blatant conflict of interest, our fd had the same SW as her bioparent had had. I took this to the top of both DSS and GAL agencies- and never got a satisfactory answer. We wrote letters to the local judges, and they voiced there general support, but did nothing to change this case.
We feel we were probably blackballed by the agency after this. We fostered multiple kids, but not one ever went to adoption. We are no longer with this agency, are using a private agency instead.
Time has gone a long way toward helping, but I pray for this little one every day. I miss her terribly!
Advertisements
My children have been in foster care for over 4 yrs. They are 13 and 14 and DCFS will NOT tpr and make them available for adoption. I have written letters to the cw, her supervisor, her supervisor, the director, our governor, senator, the judge in charge of the case. They all say the kids are better off in permanent foster care because of their ages. We are willing to adopt them, the kids have told their cw and GAL that they want to be adopted, the therapist has written to DCFS saying that the kids best interests would be to be adopted. NO one will listen. No one cares. There are no interested family members. Bmom is in and out of their lives (she's been out for 1 1/2 yrs and counting).
ASFA is a joke when no one will follow it. I asked everyone about it and they all say it's just a guideline and it's up to DCFS. I talked to DCFS lawyer and she told me that the case isn't strong enough. HUH? After four years? The bmom is very sypathetic and the judge keeps giving her more time. Yet now with the goal changed from RU to pfc, why not tpr?
I'm not looking for suggestions. I've already been told loud and clear that if I don't like it (in otherwords if I don't shut up), they will find new homes for the kids. I'm fed up with this screwed up (being nice here) system!
riley6 and kforkids--I would never be able to guess where the system failed these children and why!!!
It is really clear that the ASFA is not being adheared to in every situation and these situations do need to stop! I cannot believe that the state would go for perm fc when a family wants to adopt--good greif one of the main reasons for ASFA being passed was to help these older children NOT grow up as perm fc!
Clearly there are still some big areas to work on!
In reverse of your situation I am sometimes 'concerned' that our children's birthmother had TPR only 11 months after her children were placed into care! I worry sometimes that she didn't have a chane--even though I am told that if 'I knew everything' I would understand!??? That only leads me to wonder--what it is I do not know? When I read the info I have it is cler the children were suffering and needed to have intervention--however what I do not know is what services the birthmother was offered--what did she refuse--and what made this case go even faster then the outline for ASFA? When she had another baby they moved for TPR before the child even left the hospital! What don't we know about this case?
While I still believe the system is greatly improved due to ASFA--clearly it is not applied to each case--and this fact is where more then just you as the foster families interested in adoption need support from those of us NOT directly involved in the situation. The general public needs to be more aware and give a care about these issues! Trying to fight these situations from inside clearly is detremental to a sopecific case--the foster families end up being 'black-balled' and are considered too close to the situation!
It really is going to take awareness in our communities and others besides us being interested in the outcome and enforcement of these new guidlines! These are the stories that compell questions for me!
all of these stories eally hit home for us because DHS has screwed up so much about our case. my story is long, but when it is over, i am going to the media, governor's office, state representative, etc. i will talk to whoever will listen. i have been told by the social workers, DHS themselves, attorneys, etc. that what happened to us is not right. BUT will THEY speak out?? no, because it will cost them their job. i asked them, "how do you go to bed at night knowing what you know and not doing anything"? always the same answer - you get use to it. I want to say HELLO!!! these kids are suffering and you could make a difference, but you choose to look the other way. i am now being asked to file a petition for adoption for a child who has not been tpr'ed yet - what will that accomplish?? its not my resposibility to hold this bdad accountable - that belongs to the state. people like us open our homes and hearts and want to help only to be slapped in the face by the people who use to think you were so wonderful (DHS). it litterly makes me ill. oh, and we got "blackballed" too. we come face to face with DHS in court and they act like we have no right to be there. BUT if your stroking their ego, their all over you. It really is a joke.
i propose we start a petition about SFA of 1997 and get everyones name, address, etc. on it (in a safe internet format) that we can print off and use, so we don't feel we are standing alone. show our governor's that its not just our state, but all across this county.
donna
i am compiling a list to send to the governor of arkansas. if you would like your story and comments about the safe family act of 1997 to be seen by him, please email me privately. at this point i am gathering info because i plan on contacting his office in the near future about our case. please include your name and city, state. no one else will see it besides his office. stick to the facts. i know i am only one person, but our adoption has gone so bad that once it is finalized and our son is safely with us, i am opening my mouth. if you have complaints, i suggest we stand together on this.
sincerely.
donna v :)
Advertisements