Advertisements
Advertisements
Melissa,
Sounds like you've got enough success stories, but I'll add mine anyway. Our son was nine months old when placed with us, and we were able to adopt him about two years later. Legal-risk adoptions can be quite the emotional rollercoaster, so be prepared to hang on tight if that's the route you go.
You mentioned that private agency adoption would be too expensive. Are you familiar with the adoption tax credit. It is substantial and might make a difference for you. Foster-adoption is a fine way to go, so I'm not trying to steer you away. It's just nice to be able to know all of your options.
Advertisements
I was sooooo blessed to read everybody's posting. I do say that if it is God's will it will happen. I am also single and hoping to adopt and infant. I will be attending my second class on Tuesday. They did say they are in need of families for African American children. I got so excited. I just wanted to ask. When they say they have a need for families to take African American infants, do you think most of them will be drug addicted?
Net
Net, there is a need for families for AA infants for many reasons. There are already a lot of AA children in the system who are all ages, there are also infants who may be drug exposed or addicted and then there are also infants who may be the second, third, fourth, fifth child to be born from someone who already has children in the system. That is the case in many fost/adopt situations. If a baby is born to a mother who has several kids in foster care already they will take the next child at birth. That was the case in my situation. That child is usually labeled fost/adopt because they are deemed likely to be adoptable due to this fact. So if a mother does not have any of her 5 children and is not following the plan set for her, and then she has another child...that child will be taken at birth and deemed fost/adopt.
So no, not all infants are drug addicted. My son was not addicted. He's totally healthy and thriving. Good luck to you!
I think it's common to have drug exposed babies. There is a difference between exposed and addicted. One of my sons was exposed, the other had nothing at all. So in our house it's been 50/50 with adoption. Out of all of the children I've fostered only 1/7 has been exposed and 1/7 addicted. By chance both of these children were AA. But the other 5 children I've fostered have had their own issues: developmental delays, 2 broken legs, 2nd & 3rd degree burns, severely decayed teeth, lazy eyes, severe eczema, emotional & behavioral issues, adjustment disorders....the list goes on.
But honestlymy son who was exposed to cocaine at birth is just amazing. When he first came to us he was delayed (due to severe neglect) and very hyperactive with signs of social anxiety. He's improoved so much, no more delays and is advanced in most areas, social anxiety has decreased dramatically with out meds and yes he has ADHD & SID, but we're working with him and he's flourishing.
There's a lot of info out there on drug addicted & exposed babies. And a ton of success stories.
LeenaB
Advertisements