Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
My adopted son just turned "3" this month.
My son, 2 months at the time of "pre-adoptive" placement in my home, was indeed a foster placement. In fact, at the end of my foster & adoptive classes I was sitting in the class and another career foster parent informed me that her cousin had an infant, (my son), that would be having his TPR done soon.
Two months after first learning of him he came to his "forever home" with me and my ex-husband. We didn't have to go through the "staffing meeting" either. (Unknown miracle at the time..)
My son was born drug exposed and had an arm problem that required 8 months of physical therapy, but as expected he is thriving extremely well, happy, healthy, smart as a whistle "beyond" his age as his pediatrician states and I couldn't be prouder.
One thing that makes it "easier" for perspective people to adopt is that you aren't "picky"... I didn't care what race, although I asked for "under 2".. it does make a difference in the amount of children you will come across. Also, living in the "outskirts" of St. Louis, I decided to choose to be a St. Louis (bigger area of course), foster mother due to the fact that the NEED is greater there then in the county I reside in. I deal with St. Louis DFS workers, but live outside the area. I knew I'd have more chances to become a mother this way as well as help out where there was a greater chance(s) for placement, and more often.
Since adopting my son, he had a brother born that I as well became the "first" pick of placement for him. I cared for him for the precious first 7 months of his life, hoping to adopt him as well, but was happy with at least knowing where he was, his name and still have sibling contact with him after he was placed in his birth father's home.
Also, after divorcing I decided to continue with this as a career foster parent and possible adoption placement home and for 7 months of last year had at one time, "6" children in my home. Currently I have "2" older foster brother boys (oldest of 5), and of course my adopted son.
At this time though I am going to be reveiwed in a staffing meeting for another child, a baby girl (for adoption) and should know the results before another month's time passes.
Points of help:
Make sure you read all your newsletters, keep in contact with all other foster parents you meet, keep yourself up-to-date with the children they have place, keep in contact "esp." w/ any foster parents that you may have an adoptive child you may receive in case of any future wishes to adopt, these support people/friends may get in cases that you can request to be included on the staffing of placement for adoption.
Note: It's important that "you" strive to consume yourself with all knowledge by asking questions and making an effort to make calls when you want questions answered. It's not also advised to "wait" on the system or workers, due to their heavy case loads to receive information.
Another thing: Patience. You can't do this work/love these kids with hopes to adopt without that! Nerve racking as it is, it DOES pay-off to have patience. For me, not being able to have my own children, my pay-off was my beautiful boy, my forever child.
I'm new here as of today in this message board system, but happy to help if I can to anyone.
Much luck to all,
Mo.FosterMom