Advertisements
Advertisements
My best friend from college's name is Alisa Katherine. Pronounced uh-lee-sa. Beautiful name.....
Here are some other unusual names in my area:
Steelie Rae
Kenann--we thought it strange at first...and have since learned to love it
Swayze (can't remember her middle name...maybe Grace or Faith)
Saige (Swayze's sister)
Peyton
knew of another unusual one...and I've lost it...
Advertisements
Wow all the names are nice.
Xiomara is BEAUTIFUL! What a wonderful way to honor your daughter's 1st mother and also her heritage.
Thanks, Guspiv.
You know, I was expecting a lot more grief from my fellow Americans, but it hasn't happened. As soon as I repeat the pronounciation so people can really hear it, their eyes kind of widen, and they say how pretty it is. of course, they could just be placating me ;)
if you want a couple of good websites to help you look, as a former name nerd i can recommend the following and a google search should turn them all up. the first two sites are definitely a cut above what else is out there on the web and you can get info about the name, as well as feedback (sometimes brutally honest ;) about your choice. the people who post on the message boards of the first two sites are pretty anti-popular names.
name nerds (info about how to choose a name to make it be melodic, info about chosing a unique middle name as well, info about popularity rankings, and a message board that doesn't get much traffic but is peopled by those with a true love of names)
behind the names (great resource for learing the etymology of the names, active message board - these people are a less 'name nerdy' than those at the name nerd site. for example, just about no one at name nerds would give positive feedback for payton, people here might)
and finally, an invaluable resource - the social security administration ranks the top 1000 names for males and females. you can track the growth in popularity for the past 12 years, see what names were in the top 10 for the past 100 years, and see how many babies in the past 12 years were given a particular name.
Tried to edit and it has been too long since I posted.
On the name Steelie...it is pronounced: Stee-lee
Really cute. And a cute little girl!!
Advertisements
Elena Grace sounds nice, so does Helena Grace or Faith. Love the social security searchable data base, a real slice of the changing times.
I just love baby names, but agree that it's hard to find a first and last name to really sound perfect together.
I have a son, but when I was pregnant I was really in love with the name Alyssa, and my husband liked Alicia. We were going to chose Ali to both agree on a name. To me a lot of the A names are beautiful and actually kind of popular. Alanna Grace is pretty! When I first saw the name Grace I couldn't help but think of Harmony Grace (I knew I friend with the name).
Good luck to you!!!
~Christine
opps...made a mistake!
I meant it's hard to find a first and middle name to sound perfect!
Wish you the best of luck!!
I don't hear my name around very often. It is spelled Daisha or Dacia or Dashia or Daysha (there are a lot of ways to spell it but is pronounced just like Daysha (day+sha). I may be a little biast (sp)? but I like my name. I also have a niece named
Raven Grace!! But I like it spelled Rayven!!
Good luck!!!!
Advertisements
I also love the name Peyton!!!! Fell in love with that name after watching One Tree Hill on the WB!!
Sorry, I just thought of another unique name that I really like. It is heaven spelled backwards. Nevaeh, it is pronounced (Nevay), the E after the N is kind of like (navay) !!
If you like a K name, I know a Kiara (Kee-ara).
I love the Irish name that sounds like Chivonne but is spelled something like Siobian. The fact that I can't spell it, crossed it off our list.
I have a friend Hafina, which is a Welsh name.
Fiona is nice too.
One of our runner up names is Elsa. Another was Elke (el-kee). I never pay much attention to what names mean.
several unique names that come to mind are:
Brianna Grace
Marrisa Grace
Melisande Grace
Harmony Grace
Let us know what you ultimately decide.:p
Advertisements
I am a HUGE fan of unique names - my daughter also will never find a pen or comb or ? preprinted with her name. Thankfully, she loves her name and can't believe I'd ever consider anything but that name.
It is unique - and I ain't sharin!
I was so pleased to see that Xiomara's mom replied on this thread - I absolutely love that name (no matter which way it's pronounced!) Beautiful.
I'm kind of fond of 'Camryn', or maybe 'Camrynne'. I love the possibility of 'Cammi' for a nickname.
'Ciara' was my second choice at one time, but think it's getting overused (different spellings included). 'Kiara' is pretty but I can't get past the Lion King thing. (Oh I do like the Lion King - but ...)
I'm off to check out name nerds.
Babs
Back from name nerds - loved it!
So much for not sharing - My daughter's unique name is actually on there at #65 - I still have a unique spelling tho! - I was so surprised to see it there - I've been to baby name sites before and never seen it.
I loved the name 'Shani' since I was 10-ish; a character in a book by a Welsh author.
When we got the phone call that we'd been chosen for a 7 month old baby girl, and that we needed to name her immediately (less than 24 hours!) I am grateful that my husband immediately supported my choice, whatever it was! But then I got panicky, would 'Shani' suit a grown up, woman, as well as when she was a child?
Then there was spelling to consider.
Eventually (and within the 24 hours!) we'd decided on 'Shaeanne', nickname 'Shaeni'. My dd does not know how to spell Shaeanne; she will not answer to Shaeanne. She is Shaeni.
My grandmother, who passed away within months of Shaeni's arrival, was so pleased that we 'd chosen a Welsh name. I didn't tell her that the name didn't appear on any baby name sites! so I was kind of second guessing myself there.
We hadn't come up with the middle name when we went next day to meet sw, but she told us the name of the birthmom first, and it was the same name as my mother in law, so that was easy. I am also a HUGE fan of honouring birthmom.
When we met birthmom, and told her our name choice, she said she liked it, but had hoped we'd keep one of the names she'd chosen ... and one of the choices was 'Paris', which we've also kept.
Then the order of the names became a factor: S P R M
Not good.
S R P M
You do need to watch out for initials!!!
I have hijacked your thread. I apologize.
I hope you enjoy your mission to find a unique name! and do check out name nerds.
Babs