Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
Blue Irish Eyes
Wow, your story is worse than some of ours. To know who your father is, that he skipped out on you and your mother and that you ended up in an orphanage and never had a happy home is beyond sad and difficult.
I wish I could find some way to encourage you to continue on but like you, I got the " if you ever try to contact any of us again I will sue you" from my half sister...I too would like the health and genetic information.
Since you have a locate on your father, is there anyway you might find some relatives of his..it would have to be done quietly but surely there are some relatives of his, and are first degree relatives to you, that perhaps could shed some light on family background.
In regard to the other Siblings! :clap: Beware! Siblings have their own issues with a reuniting sibling. Siblings may be jealous, insecure and unwilling to share their parent. At the root of that fear may be an inheritance or the fear of losing or having to share a parents material resources. Siblings should not be allowed to interfere with your reunion with your birth parent. And unless they are legally responsible for your parent, as in they are their legal guardians ... they have no legal right to interfere. The legal ball is actually in your court. You have every right to claim your birth right, any possible inheritance (fantastic legal loop hole) and anything else that would be coming to you - had you not been abandoned. And you have the legal right to assert yourself - vigorously.
I went through the same thing with my birth mother. When I first found her she rejected me - harshly. My only contact with her over a span of 30 years was through my siblings, mainly my younger sister. For 25 years my mother and I got absolutely nowhere. We didn't even speak. I finally gave up on trying and fell off the radar. Then 4 years ago I made contact with my mother again. And again through my most parent monopolizing and family domineering sibling - my younger sister. I spent months waiting for my mother to call me - nothing. Then I decided to go behind my sisters back and contacted my mother myself. Voila! My mother embraced the contact with open arms. Once I removed my siblings, especially my (over bearing and controlling sister) from the picture my relationship with my mother has flourished in ways I could only dream of before.
Basically ... each relationship must be kept separate. Each relationship must be allowed to develop without interference. Your relationship with your parent is none of your siblings business. Don't give them any power over it, you don't have to and they will probably abuse it. Most sibling rivalry starts the minute the new baby comes home from the hospital. If it were up to most siblings the new baby would probably be OUT of the picture! Why should a lost sibling reunion be any different?
It's a shame really. We other siblings have much to offer our new found families. You would think that our siblings would welcome all the added love and attention their parent will receive from us and our families. But ... that too will take time.
BTW ... it is the editorial you that I refer to.