Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi outcast
It does seem like all of the laws are to protect everyone but us doesn't it. If your whole biological family is deceased other than one sister I cannot believe that they are going to put you through all of this. We as adoptees definately get the raw end of the deal. Are you going to puch forward with it??
Tell me about how you found your family??? Newspaper? Fill me in. I can use all the help I can get.
Lisa
Advertisements
I would encourage you to give petitioning the court a try. I am a 62 year old adoptee who petitioned the court to have my records opened. I went to the court date and appeared before the judge expecting him to deny my request after reading the many experiences of others. Surprisingly he approved my request and I went to the clerk's office and they gave me copies of the court records showing my birth mother's name. I researched at the local library and found her. Then, I checked in Ancestry and found that she was deceased. I then looked on microfilm and found her obituary. I went to the Funeral home hoping to find a copy of her obit so that I could see the photo and it was too long ago. She had passed away at age 67. They did put me in contact with her sister-in-law. I also did a DNA test with Ancestry a couple of years ago which back in the summer connected me with a first cousin locally. His mother felt I was her deceased brother's child and she took a DNA test which confirmed she was my aunt. I have been welcomed by both sides of the family - my birth father's side and my birth mother's side. It has been wonderful finding more family since both my adoptive mother and father have passed away. Unbelievably my birth mother and her husband (also deceased and knew nothing about me) had no biological children. They adopted a daughter and she and I consider each other sisters. My birth mother's adopted daughter and my blood first cousin (child of birth mother's sister) have met for lunch and dinner several times. We feel like we have known each other forever. They even say I have many of my birth mother's mannerisms which is strange since I always felt those things were learned from being around someone. So to sum it all up - give petitioning a try. You just never know what the outcome might be.
1 Liked
 likes this.
I petitioned the court, not expecting my fine to be unsealed, but it was. Don't give up. File a petition. You never know what might happen.
Advertisements
Hello,
Have a weird twist to the group. Looking to unseal my original birth certificate. I found my birth mom 25 years ago, had a great relationship. She just passed with no will (although an account in my legal name exists).
I filled out relationship affidavit of relationship - she never married, didn’t have any other children. The County Administrator of San Mateo County wants me to get my original, preadoption borth certificate. My adoptive parents have passed. I’m willing to have an attorney do whatever is necessary (speed is an issue-don’t want her house to lose insurance/tax liens.
Can anyone recommend an attorney? I contacted the SF bar for a referral but haven’t heard back. Any help, opinion, resource, or ideas are appreciated.
Thanks,
Ray