Advertisements
Advertisements
I talked to someone at the agency doing our home study today and she said "have you done your MAPP training yet" MAPP stands for Massachusetts Approach to Partnership and Parenting or something similar. I believe that I do not have to do this, but now am worried and confused. These classes take several weeks to finish and I believe we just missed this session. Does anyone know if this is necessary for us? Anyone from MA have to do this?
You only have to do MAPP training if you adopt through the state social service system. Are you adopting internationally? perhaps they misunderstood you? I guess it could be a weird requirement that your agency would have???? I'd clarify.
Bumpkin
Advertisements
Thanks. I think the person I was speaking with was not very familiar with international adoption. As you say, it is not required... what a relief. :o
I also have never heard of this class being required for international adoptions.
That said, we went ahead and took the class as offered by the Florida Dept of Children and Families. It was called Model Approach to Partnership in Parenting. It was actually very informative. It was a 30 hours course given 2 nights a week for 2 hours at a time. I am sure it will make the homestudy look better, and I guess you can't know too much. they had some really good ideas for NVC, which is NON VIOLENT COMMUNICATION. I grew up in a spanking home, (not a lot, but just enough that the threat pretty much kept us in line), as did pretty much everybody I know, so this was an especially good experience for me as I am hoping to find better options than spankings.
i would recommend taking this class if you have the time. We met a lot of families hoping to adopt and/or foster children, and the interaction was great.