Advertisements
Advertisements
ABC News 20/20 will feature Barbara Walters in a compelling look at open adoption. Friday April 30 at 10p.m. ET check your local broadcast time. Check adoption.com home page for link and details
Advertisements
I've been in contact with someone from 20/20 and was told they did not interview Dr. Burns about her her book, Fast Track Adoption, for the episode. The show is about a 16-year-old girl in Ohio choosing to place her child in a very open adoption, deciding on adoptive parents, and then a follow-up six months later.
I just saw a promo for this show its on next Friday and its on 5 couples trying to adopt the baby of one teenage girl-
Has anyone else seen the promos and got creeped out? "5 couples competeing for one baby, 4 will lose" This isn't survivor- these are real people's lives - and a baby is no prize to be won in a competition. This show maybe sensitively handled and I will watch, but I think the promos do a disservice to aparents- it sounds like we are greedy participants in some game show derby- I hope its portrays adoption sensitvely.
Lisa
Advertisements
I have not seen the promo - i do not live in the US - but the sound of five couples and one pbmother creeps me out too - especially as she is only 16. I am sure the prospective parents had no idea 20/20 was going to promote the show that way - "four will lose" - very insensitive.
Why can't they do a show on parents, bmothers and children already in open adoption relationships and show how it is/isn't working for them. I'd be far more interested in that.
I saw the Promo and wanted to be sick! It disgusted me completely and I don't see how shwong five families desire to adopt the same child is not going to be anything less then pathetic....Like a Reality Show! I am not sure I am going to watch it.... I think it is wrong to make a little baby into a prize for s television reality display---Are they planning to show the baby the video when she is older?
Yes 20\20 is not doing a program on Fast Track Adoption.
I guess they heard the Story on Cindy. There is this website called Anti Adoption Insights. I signed up for it . It has a post on 20\20 it seems they want information of Open Adoption that Closed but mostly want a birthmother that went to court to fight an adoptives that closed adoptions. I think there are a few birthparents on this board that had their open adoptions closed by the adoptive parents.
lots of love
Mary
After the 20/20 show airs you can share comments and join in discussion at Adoption Forums. The Forum will be open for comments after the show airs on Friday April 30 at 10 p.m. (ET)
Advertisements
When I saw that 20/20 was going to be having this show where a teen mother would chose from 4 familys, I felt like I was going to vomit!!!!! Whoever thought of this idea should be taking out and beat with a stick! And the mother...she obviously feels nothing for her child! I have every right to talk too. My biological mother was 14 when she had me. She turned 15 the next day. I was put up for adoption when I was only 2 days old. I'm sorry, but if I were that child, and saw my life being chosen on national T.V., I would be very upset. That child is going to have very many psychological problems. I have problems being an adopted child, but making a show out of it?! What is this world coming to!? If that mother, had ANY sense at all, she wouldn't make all this whoop la over her baby. She would pick a family, in the privacy of her own home. Not on T.V. She has just ruined her baby's life. I don't know what else to say!
What is this world coming to!? If that mother, had ANY sense at all, she wouldn't make all this whoop la over her baby. She would pick a family, in the privacy of her own home. Not on T.V. She has just ruined her baby's life. I don't know what else to say!
well shes 16 yrs old. she may have ruin her babys life, but she sure didn't do it alone. she had plenty of help and encoragement from ADULTS who should have known beter. adults who stood to gain financialy from this 'whoop la', unlike her. all she stands to gain is 15 minutes of fame. and a lifetime of regret. :(
After reading the story in the NY Times and Chicago paper, as well as listening to NPR's story (go to the NPR website and you can listen to it) I am convinced they are re-editing the show. I feel good there is such a public outcry and that the web is mentioned as the one leading the calls against it in a lot of the stories.
Lisa
As an adoptee, I was very put off by the promotional spots about this program.
However, the actual program was very well done, IMO. As an adoptee though, it reinforced my level of comfort that I was raised in a closed adoption. I found it very uncomfortable to have the child referred to as a "shared child" . I personally am grateful that I grew up as a child that felt completely part of my family ~ that I belonged ~ no different than my friends, vs. feeling half & half or as a child that was shared and actually belonged completely in neither family.
I also, personally found it offensive that a 16 year old, who is/was clearly not in a position to parent a child herself, was interviewing and judging people on their ability to parent. I am very glad that my parents did not have to go through this degrading process. I had wonderful parents but I doubt that they would have participated in this type of situation.
I understand more than ever why some couples choose International Adoption.
Advertisements