Advertisements
Advertisements
Hey all! When we went to visit Sydney she was taking Nestle's Nan 1 Formula and she takes it really really well. Anyway I have not seen anything in the stores that sound like they may be similar. Do any of you use this formula or did your baby's take it in Guat. What do I need to know?
thank you,
statefan
Hi,
This is very similar to Nestle/Carnation Good Start..someone had posted before that you can find Nan some places in the USA...
Advertisements
It is made by Carnation!! Our local Ultra foods has NAN in stock!!;) I switched our little girl to good start very slowly & used NAN for quite a while as 1/2 & 1/2. Hopefully this helps!!
Lisa
Olivia 3yrs Guatemala
They started our baby out on Nan, but I made them switch to Similac Advance, which has DHA and ARA. I've read studies from England that show that babies who get formula with DHA have an IQ 10 points higher on average. I know they thought I was pushy, but our baby is worth it! I wanted to do the best for her that I possibly could.:) Here's her pic...
Barbara
Mom of Alex, Ben, Cameron, Daniel, and now (E?!!!) Yeimi Alexandra
dob 12/21/03
referral 12/30/03
Enter PGN 3/24/04 (approx.)
Kick out 3/31/04 (Kids Medical)
Back in 4/11/04
OUT!!! 4/26/04
BE CAREFUL!
Research, Research, Research before deciding to use formula with these "ingredients."
They are genetically engineered from microfungus and soil fungus. The FDA does not regulate infant formula industryk, it regulates itself. These additives were not allowed in the use until the government did a surprising and unannounced reversal. There have been NO studies on human children that the genetically engineered additives are helpful. They may even be harmful. There --is-- a benefit to children who are born prematurely and who receive the naturally occuring ingredients in breast milk. There is no evidence that the naturally occuring ingredients have any benefit to children who are not born prematurely.
I had my daughter on this formula too, until Cathy CSW warned me, then I started researching it and switched to plain old Carnation Good Start.
IMO, it's a marketing ploy to get us to pay even more money for formula.
I have researched.... A LOT... DHA and ARA have been added to infant formula in Europe for many years. DHA is found naturally in breast milk. You can find conflicting info on the web. Some pro... some alarmist. As far as "fungus" the DHA comes from the algae form of DHA. This reminds me of the debate on floride in the water. Do your own research and make an informed decision on what's best for your baby.
Barbara
Advertisements
Shoshana is right.
As a mom who breastfeed my first daughter (bio), I really wanted to make certain that our adopted daughter got the formula with the DHA in it -- until I dug deeper than the formula companies' PR.
This stuff is not anywher near the same as what's in breast milk and there has been no testing on it on babies at all! The FDA agreed to let it into the market and collect data on it that way.
Just like so many other things, every parent must interpret all the research and then follow thier hearts as to what they think is best for their children.
And Shoshana, I'm sure you didn't mean to imply that there's no evidence that breastmilk has no benefit to babies who weren't born prematurely, did you, lol? If so, just let me know and I'll send you about a million links to scientific journals that says otherwise.
I'm getting mixed up with this thread. Since Elias is on Similac Advanced (I bought some cans of it since it's the only thing I can give him from Guate and I can't buy it in Switzerland), so is it good or not???
I ask because he's having some stomach trouble, he has a hard time to "burp" and the first stool I saw of him was green!! Now it's getting better, I stopped the rice powder they were giving him (the box says after 6 months and he's 3 months old).
Thanks in advance for your advice.
Manuela,
One of the reported side effects is bowel disturbances.
And I need to pm you. I'm so sorry we couldn't hook up. Remember I was on the way into the City to the denist when you called? Well I ended up having a root canal!
Advertisements
LOL!
No, mamarama, I only tried, ineloquently, to state that there was no evidence that naturally DHA & ARA (only those two components of breast milk alone) contributed to neurlogical development in non-preemie babies - which it does have an effect in preemies. Did that make it any better?
Sierrraphim - You're absolutely right. Research can be interpreted in many ways, depending upon the reader, and the author. There are two facts, however, that contain no emotion. 1) the DHA and ARA that are found in formula are genetically engineered. and 2) the effects of these genetically engineered ingredients has NOT been tested on infants.
Manuela -
My 4 month old neice (not adopted) is on Similac and she poops green a lot too. (ew.... not a diaper-changing auntie here!). She does burp really well though and could probably rattle the glass in the windows if she wanted to. :)
You can try for a Similac Advance Infant Formula Stage 1 for growth your 6month baby for better for a nestle. I recently bought it on cureka .I see the goods result for my baby Share your comments if any of you used this.
You can try for a Similac Advance Infant Formula Stage 1 for growth your 6month baby for better for a nestle. I recently bought it on cureka .I see the goods result for my baby Share your comments if any of you used this.
Advertisements
You can try for a Similac Stage 1 for growth your 6month baby I recently bought it on cureka I see the goods result for my baby Share your comments if any of you used this.