gift for a social worker
Social workers: What would be a meaningful gift to give you ? This would be from a foster adopt family at the adoption. I want to spend around $50.00. Ideas? (The SW is a female) Thanks
I'm not working as a SW right now, but wanted to add my 2 cents. One of my clients gave me a book on self care and professional burn out for a goodbye gift. She qualified it by saying she didn't think I was burnt out, and wanted to be sure I stayed that way so I could continue to help others the way I helped her. It really meant a lot to me, the sentiment as well as the book.
How about a basket?
The idea for a book is good. How about a 'take care of yourself' basket with a book or two, some bath and body products, some chocolate or other little luxuries.
How about a call to the caseworkers supervisor and say what a wonderful person she is! Even better, write it down in a letter! How about going on record at the adoption and saying something nice, too!

In terms of a present, sand/rock gardens are all the rage here in my office. It's a tray with a lip around the sides that has sand in it, some rocks, and a tiny rake. It's remarkably therapeutic and I use mine while talking on the phone to calm myself. Other ideas are lunch gift certificates. Most of us caseworkers work through lunch and a gift certificate at a restaurant would force her to go out once in a while.

Technically, cw are not allowed to accept any gift from anyone related to their job, so if you have a rigidly ethical worker, don't be offended if she doesn't accept - it's in the rules.
WHOA!!
AlbanyKaren--"Technically, cw are not allowed to accept any gift from anyone related to their job, so if you have a rigidly ethical worker, don't be offended if she doesn't accept - it's in the rules."

It's my opinion that ALL social workers should be rigidly ethical.

Wouldn't you agree?