Advertisements
Advertisements
Hello!
Searching for buddies to compare notes with and create a support system online who are connected with adopting from Birobidzhan or surrounding areas.
Anyone? PM or e-mail us.
Thanks!
We adopted two girls from Birobidzhan in March 2004 and are returning June 6 to adopt another girl. The people in Biro were all terrific, and I'd be happy to answer any questions you have.
Advertisements
LillianJane,
I am considering Birobidzhan for my adoption. Can you tell me what the children are like there? Is the childrens home good? And did you decide to adopt 3 (Wow!) since you are going back so soon after the first 2? My hat is off to you!
We just returned from Birobidzhan a few days ago. It was a much more pleasant experience this time, travelling with a 7 year old instead of a 2 and 4 year ol!
The orphanages in Biro are pretty good. The baby's home, for children until they are 4, has about 80 to 90 kids. The group ours were in had 3 caretakers with them at all times, and the women were very loving towards the kids. There were 16 kids in the group, but they could have as many as 20 at one time (that's how many potty seats there were!) They all sleep in one big room with toddler-size beds, then there is a combo playroom-eating room. They had quite a few toys, mostly american, that were always carefully put away when they are done playing. There are 5 little tables with 4 chairs each that they sit in for coloring or play-dough or other play activities, and that they also use for eating. Their routine is just that, very routine, very scheduled. They wake up at 7:30, wash, eat, play outside or music lessons or something else, then snack, then another activity, then lunch, then a 2 hour nap, then snack, then back outside. The same thing each day. But they seem content and pretty happy. All the kids we met or heard about didn't have problems attaching or bonding, so i think they are well-cared for. They had enough to eat, but never unlimited amounts. Our 2 year old has grown so much now that she has time to eat all her food and ask for seconds. She is a slow eater, and usually didn't get to finish all of her food in Biro.
The 7 year old came from the older kids' orphange (called childrens' home #5). This orphange seems homier than the baby's home. I think the director, who is a woman (it's a man at the baby home) is more hands-on when it comes to painting hallways and putting up cheerier things on the walls. It was more well-kept, and the playground was actually really nice. They don't have a lot of equipment, but it was very big, and there are monkey bars for them to climb on, and a number of little pavilions where they can play under shelter. There was also a garden that the kids were helping to plant and care for. The kids here seemed to be more able to come inside and outside as they pleased, probably because it was summer and the older ones weren't in school. The younger kids, the 4 and 5 year olds, looked like they were on a stricter schedule. There were 19 beds in the room where our daughter slept, all very close together. This orphange was a lot smaller than the baby home. The room they used for a playroom and for eating was smaller too. They had toys also, but not as many as the younger kids. These kids also seemed very contented, but they all want to be adopted! they follow you around and hang on you and try to talk to you. Mostly they are sweet kids.
But I think they must tell all kids in Russia that when you are adopted your new mom and dad will let you do anything you want!!! All 3 or ours, including the 7 year old, got mad whenever we would tell them no when we first got home. The younger two are much better about it now, and are really doiing great. the 7 year old still gets mad very easily! Butr we've only been home for one week.
Good luck!
Dear LillianJane,
Welcome home with your new daughter. I sent you a PM. I would love to talk with you when you have a spare minute.
LillianJane,
How did you plan to adopt again from Biro? Did you tell your agency you wish to adopt from there again, and you waited until you got a referral? How long did you wait? Isn't that one of the poorest regions...from what you describe, the children sound basically provided for. I always thought that you cannot pick and choose the region. Thanks-ahead-of-time.
Love & Light, Tee
Advertisements
LillianJane,
How did you plan to adopt again from Biro? Did you tell your agency you wish to adopt from there again, and you waited until you got a referral? How long did you wait? Isn't that one of the poorest regions...from what you describe, the children sound basically provided for. I always thought that you cannot pick and choose the region. Thanks-ahead-of-time.
Love & Light, Tee
Bumping this up in hopes that someone has some info regarding the Biro region in Russia.