Advertisements
Advertisements
I'm wondering if anyone here knows of a place I can look for Haitian baby names. We are considering French names, because of the French influence, but we're also wondering about any names that are really Haitian in origin. Is there an online thread or a book we might look to, or does anyone know of these names themselves? Many thanks!
Marya
I remember when my sister was pregnant (about 7 years ago) she had a baby names book that was broken down by origin. Maybe you could find something similar on Amazon.com. Or maybe your agency would have ideas. I hope that helps . . .
db
Advertisements
Here are a few:
Girls-
1.) Chant (pronounced Shan-teh) which means "to sing" in Kreyol.
2.) Ayida who is the spirit of love.
3.) Brigitte (brih-ZHEET) despite being the keeper of death, the name is quite popular and doesn't hold up to its orginal meaning.
4.) Fabiola...I don't know the meaning and I really doubt that the name is Haitian in orgin but my dad insists that I put it down.
5.) Ghislaine...I have no idea.
6.) Bijou (Bee-jou) which means jewel.
7.) Lourdes....I have no idea.
8.) Kiskeya (Kis-KEY-ah) which means "mother of all lands". This name goes back to the orginal inhabitants and ancestors of Haiti(ans), the Taino Indians.
9.) Anacaona who was a Taino Queen. The name means golden flower.
Boys-
1.) Agwe (AGH-way) he is the spirit guide of the sea and belongs to the Haitian trinity.
2.) Azacca (ah-ZAH-kah) he is spirit guide of argiculture.
3.) Zac can also be used from Azacca.
4.) Hennrick which is basically the Haitian form of Henri (French) and Henry (American).
That's all I could think of for now...
I was wondering if you knew the meaning of the name Kethly. We are adopting a baby girl with that name and are going to keep it. I would love to know its meaning!
supersara1111
I was wondering if you knew the meaning of the name Kethly. We are adopting a baby girl with that name and are going to keep it. I would love to know its meaning!
The name isn't Haitian in orgin and it has several spellings (Keathley, Keathly, Keithley, Keatly, etc.). Its known that most have derived from the same source. Also note that the name isn't usually a first name but a last name.
During and after the Viking invasions of England in the 9th-11th centuries, some of the invaders chose to stay and start a new life. Keighley was the location of several of these Norse settlements. The name is derived from "Kioge" (a Norse proper name), and "ley", the Middle English spelling of "lea", meaning "one who lives in a meadow".
Thank you so much for the information! I would love to learn more about the History of Haiti. Have you read any good books on the subject? Are you from Haiti?
Advertisements
supersara1111
Thank you so much for the information! I would love to learn more about the History of Haiti. Have you read any good books on the subject? Are you from Haiti?
Your welcome! :) I've made a new thread dedicated to Haitian books. :)