Advertisements
Advertisements
I am looking for my Birth Mother. I believe she still resides in Naha Okinawa. I am one of two children that were adopted together back in 1977-78. I am the only surviving one. My brother was lost a few years back. The agency we were adopted through shut down. She approached the agency in hopes to locate us. It was too late when we received the information the agency shut down. Her name is Akemi Okuhara. Locating anyone with this last name is a start, residng in Naha Okinawa. I have no idea where to start looking, everywhere I turn there is a dead end. Any helpful resorces or links would be great. I know that she was under government care and was in psychiatric therapy. My name would have been either Kikue Yancey. Bio father name Stephen Jewels Yancey(American Marine). My other name may have been Kikue Okuhara. My brothers name is Timothy Yancey or Okuhara. I can give birthdates and so on. ANY INFORMATION WOULD BE GREAT!!!
Kikue:
My hubbie is Japanese, though we don't live there. I will see if he knows, or can find online, any database look up sites there that may help.
Do you read kanji? If not, the sites alone won't help, so let me know, ok?
My hubbie doesn't know much about these things, so I can't promise anything, but we'll have a quick look and try...
Cheryl
Advertisements
Thanks for replying, I did not think there was anyone out there who might actually respond or even view my posting. Patience is an assest. I' ve have this.
Thanks again
Kikue:
Can you read/write in Japanese? I only know the phonetic alphabets, not the characters, which is why I have to ask my husband to look this up on line for me.
If you can't read the characters of the names, just sending along the web sites won't help you much!
Can you send some of your patience over my way!! (LOL!)
Cheryl
(another adoptee searching...)
Do you know the Chinese characters for your mothers name. I live in Kyushu Japan and could do an online search or make some phone calls to Naha to see if I can find anything out. but it would help if you have any more information, like characters for her name in Japanese, what orphanage or adoption agency you went through, etc.
thanks,
marla
Do you speak or write Japanese? Where is Kyushu to Naha Okinawa?
The adoption agency was International Social Assistance Okinwawa, Inc. Loaction 1-30-20 Kiyuna Ginowan City Okinawa, Japan 901-22 Tel: 098 892-2183 This agency supposedly shut down march 31,1998. The social worker who was trying to help my mother contact us at the time is someone else I am trying to locate. Hopefully she is still alive. Her name is Masayo Hirata. You can findher name in Japanupdate.com as a caseworker working at Okinawa womens center. I think she can help me. She might remember my mother. The letter said Akemi Okuhara recently visited her wanting to know the wellfare and whereabouts of her children. She was living be herslf under public assistance. She was on medication with regula visists to a psychiatrist near by her apartment. I know she's there I just hve to keep looking. She is in the system and still alive I hope. I have quite a few contact to numbers to offices in Okinawa. I can't speak or write Japanese. This is a problem. I did come across a few numbers for a Pshytherapist and a Psychiatrist located in Okinawa
Ms Maxine Randall Tel 098-895-3331
Dr Kazuyoshi Yamamoto 098-895 -3331
Both speak Englsih as well as Japanese.
I was hoping one of them would recognize the name Masayo Hirata or maybe one of the people treating my mother. She is there I know she is. Thanks so much. Let me know what I need to do. I will provide you with as much informaiton as possible.
I look forward to hearing from you
Kikue :)
Advertisements
Kikue, I hope that I can be of some help to you but I don't know how much. I speak Japanese OK, but we live a long ways from Okinawa. Because of my work I don't have much time during the day to make phone calls when public offices and services would be open, but when we get a day off, I will try to call information in Naha and find out if I can get a phone number for that social worker, or for your mother. It may be impossible to do however, if people are not listed in the phone book, I don't know how else to find them but I will see what I can do. It may take some time.
Did your mother name you? Does she know your name is Kikue? How old where you when you were placed for adoption? (i.e. birthdate and date of relinquishment) if you don't want to post this information on a public forum then private message me or send me an email.
Give me some time and I will see what I can do.
Yes she did name us. My name was Kikue Yancey or Okuhara not real sure which last name. Her maiden name was Okuhara. My brothers name was Timothy Yancey or Okuhara. She was married to man name Stephen Jewels Yancey. I was born Nov 27th,1975. My Brother was born Dec 28th, 1974. The catch to this situation is that we were given up for adoption not just me. She wanted us to stay together and not seperated. We were adopted together and stayed together until he passed. I have no idea when I was given up for adoption or how old I was. I'll do some research. I really appreciate your help. Time is all I have. Thanks so much.
Kikue:)
Hi Kikue! I have some good news about the social worker who was helping your mother. My husband found her online at a Women's services center in Naha and it is Monday morning here. We tried to call but the offices are closed on Monday :mad: But we will call again sometime this week! If she is still there maybe she will know something about your mother. Keep praying that this works and I will contact you as soon as possible.
The social worker works at a center for international women to come in and get help with problems and this makes me think she probably speaks English which means you can contact her directly! When we talk to her I will let you know and give you her contact information if she speaks English!
I'm getting excited and really hope that soon you will have some contact with your bio mother.
Marla
Marla-
You must be a Saint. How did you find her. Can I go to the website your husband went to. We are so close. Masayo Hirata the social worker I am referring to does speak english. She translated the letter for my mother and asked us to write back so that she may translate our letter for her. Please give her all of my information. My direct email address is Austincapitolflo@aol.com you are more than welcome to email me here as well. I will also be able to call when I get home from a land line. You have done so much already I can't thank you enough.
Kikue:D :p
Advertisements
Hi Kikue,
I hope this reaches you and that you are doing fine. I have a former US Navy father who was stationed in Okinawa from around 1967 to 1976. During this time, he had a relationship with a Japanese woman from Okinawa with the same name as your mom, Akemi Okuhara. They were together for a long time before they separated around 1975 or 1976. He got stationed somewhere else and went back to Okinawa a few years after. He bumped into her at a mall. At that time, she had her child with her. Though they were able to talk a little bit, they did not exchange any contact information. The last thing my father heard about her was that she was receiving psychiatric treatment. The pandemic these days have made him very nostalgic and he reminisces a lot about the people who were important in his past. So he is hoping to find that certain Akemi Okuhara from Okinawa as well. That is how I came about your post. I showed your post to my father and he seems to think that it is the same Akemi. My father's name by the way is Bob. Akemi would have addressed him by the name of Bobby-san.
I hope you have had luck in finding your mother since the time you posted this.
All the best.
I am looking for my Birth Mother. I believe she still resides in Naha Okinawa. I am one of two children that were adopted together back in 1977-78. I am the only surviving one. My brother was lost a few years back. The agency we were adopted through shut down. She approached the agency in hopes to locate us. It was too late when we received the information the agency shut down. Her name is Akemi Okuhara. Locating anyone with this last name is a start, residng in Naha Okinawa. I have no idea where to start looking, everywhere I turn there is a dead end. Any helpful resorces or links would be great. I know that she was under government care and was in psychiatric therapy. My name would have been either Kikue Yancey. Bio father name Stephen Jewels Yancey(American Marine). My other name may have been Kikue Okuhara. My brothers name is Timothy Yancey or Okuhara. I can give birthdates and so on. ANY INFORMATION WOULD BE GREAT!!!