Advertisements
Advertisements
Originally posted by slm_tbm
Where can I sign up to be the UN Ambassador for Children?
Um, which role did you play in "Tomb Raider"?!?! LOL!
Advertisements
Wow!
I thought I wrote quite a bit in my post.
I'm sorry this one statement (that was just a statement, not an accusation or criitique of everyone (or anyone for that matter) on this board, hit such a nerve and was taken out of context.
FYI- I choose not to have more children myself. I have one bio son 15 months old who is the center of our universe. It has nothing to do with biology I assure you in my case. You give them love and nurture them and rock them and hold them and they become yours in your heart. There is no greater feeling, bio or not.
We will adopt our next child and hopefully more after that as well. With all the kids in the world who are already here and need homes and families, this is what my husband and I have chosen to do.
As for my work and my "lack of sensitivity", I must tell you that I volunteer my time to the organization that brings Russian orphans to the U.S. in hopes of connecting them with adoptive families.
I know personally many couples and single women who have gone through the process and the children they have adopted or who they are waiting to adopt. I feel their pain. I feel their joy as much as I can without being in their exact circumstances.
Out of 17 children who came on our last hosting program, 15 are being adopted. One girl returned to Russia , where her mother is petitioning the government to get her back. The mother is now out of jail and reportedly reformed.
One more boy remains to be placed and I have every belief that he will be. He is a beautiful and interactive boy of 7 years. Let me know if you would like to know more about him.
I also know these children very personally. I chaperoned them on field trips and helped set up tables for their lunches. I ran after them at the park and watched them play at the beach for their very first time. I gave them hugs and took pictures of them with my digital camera, which thrilled them to no end when they saw their pictures on the spot. I bought them new clothes and collected new toys for them.
I was in charge of press relations for the last program (a job I had never done before) and got 30 articles placed in local papers, 2 radio interviews, and two television interviews within a 3 month period of time. I also donated my own money to send the children on field trips and organized five of the field trips they went on.
I personally called and emailed all of the t.v., radio stations and newspapers myself in order to get publicity for the program and broadcast the opportunity for children and parents to connect.
I thank you for offerring the education to me. I have done extensive research on Russian orphans, orphanages, the process, statistics etc. It seems there is one thing I left out--the adoptive parents, and what is or is not appropriate to share with them in the way of my opinions. I apologize.
You can accuse me of a whole bunch of stuff, but insensitivity would be amiss. I am no surely no saint, but I love the kids and care about the outcome of their lives. That is where I come from.
Those are the shoes I am walking in.
I wish you all the best in your process and adventure of parenthood. Its the best thing I've ever done in my life. The second best is advocating for orphans to find loving families and being able to witness these miracles in front of my eyes.
No public replies to this post necessary. If you have anything positive to say, please pm me. This is my last public post.
--Corrie
I think Corrie was just thinking out loud. Everyone has been waiting so long and to even think a "celeb" might be offered shortcuts is disturbing to everyone. I'm sure she didn't mean that you're being picky and want an "all American looking child".
she just blurted what was on her mind. At one time or another we've all said things that have been taken the wrong way, so no sense in getting offended--except for the fact that Jolie is kind of creepy and will probably get a baby when it's convenient for her!
Hey everyone Gleb is here! Im 17 years late to the chat😂 when I was adopted my legal name changed to Elijah sakmar and I live in Johnstown, PA, USA. If your genuinely still interested my email is elijs0771@gmail.com