Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
This sounds like something Attorney Leving would get into. He's in Illinois, probably chicago. Search for him on the web and call him. He's a big father's rights attorney. I can't remember his first name.
I can't give legal advice, and I do not know the specific facts in your case or the specific laws in Illinois. I do know that Illinois has a putative father registry, the contact info for which is listed in my directory, which is published as an article on this website. If you were not an absentee father, then you MAY have a claim that you established a relationship with the child significant enough to forego the need to register.
Ohio too has a one-year deadline for challenging an adoption. However, in In re Knipper (1986), 30 Ohio App.3d 214, the court held that the legislature does not constitutionaly have the power to bar attacks on adoptions within one year without also requiring proper notice to the parent, which includes the need to use reasonable diligence in locating the parent. The case cited and followed Armstrong v. Manzo, a US Supreme Court case--which means Armstrong applies nationwide. Thus, Illinois may have made similar rulings. If you want to know how to research that, let me know.