Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi there,
I cannot express how happy I am to have stumbled on this web page while researching on Sri Lankan adoptions. My husband and I are both Sri Lankan born and are now US Citizens. We have two beautiful children age 8 (girl) and a mischievously little boy age 4 1/2 years. It has been our desire to adopt and give another child a 2nd chance. It was also disappointing to read that the government of Sri Lanka gives us a hard time to bring over a child to the US. Nevertheless, we are willing to take the first steps inspite of what we read and the discouragement from a immediate family, since we Sri Lankans have not been raised to view adoption in a positive manner.
I would owe my life to anyone who would please respond and give me some advise as to how I should get about taking my first step in this long journey. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Please help me, help another little child see a better world. thru your eyes and mine.
I would go to the US State Department website Sri Lanka adoption page at [url]http://www.travel.state.gov/family/adoption_sri_lanka.html[/url]
and contact the US embassy in Sri Lanka first to ask them how to proceed. That page has a quite lot of info about procedures and contact info.
Good luck to you
Advertisements
Thank you for taking the time to respond. I hope to call the Sri Lankan Embassy in Washington tomorrow, for more details.
Your info was of great help. Thank you once again
So have you had any luck with finding information about adopting from SL? We have just put together our docier to SL and would love to hear if you have heard any more news in regards to adopting from there. Looking foward to hearing from you.
Thanks
Shammi
I just started my paper work , which so far has been going thru very very smoothly. I was very hesitant to start the paper work at this end, cause I was made to understand that its very difficult to get a child across to US, due to all the red rape in SL. My husband and I kind of did things backwards. We did everything possible in SL to get thru the red tape and have finally established a contact. Yes it took us a very long time to cut thru the chase and we finally started on our paper work this January. I know the typical thing to do, would have been to do the paper work at this end and then get thru to the S/Lankan authorities, but we came across so many couples that had wasted their money on international agencies and have had no luck in Sri Lanka, which is absolutely no fault of the Adoption Agency. We are keeping our fingers cross, and doing everything possible to expediate the papers, before we have some type of political change in Sri Lanka, which will bring me back to square one.
I would appreicate it if you could let me know how long the paper work took you her in the States
Hi
Thank you very much for responding to my email. The homestudy took us just over three months. Then after that we had to get all the other paperwork and immigration stuff ready. I live in Canada and therefore the immigration stuff is quite different here compared to the US.
Did you get in touch with an orphanage in SL? What agency did you get in touch with over there? We are pretty lost in this process and that is why I am asking you this question.
Shammi
Advertisements
I am working with Good Shepherd Convent, Nayakakanda Orphanage, its run by Catholic Nuns, from what I understand it is very difficult to get a child from any organage in Sri Lanka. But, please do not give up, I have stumbled several times, but have hope that things will work out. Believe me, cutting thru the red tape is tough. I was told that it would be totally impossible for me to get a child, cause I do have two biological children aged 8 and 5. Apparently consideration is given to childless couples only. I am still not a 100% certain if a will be successful, but I will keep no stone unturned. Good luck !!!!
Hi Secondchance,
So did you manage to adopt in SL in the end?
Would love to hear and also about your process?
Thankyou
Yes we completed our adoption from SL in 2010. The process depends on the country you are from.