Advertisements
Advertisements
And need some help. Once a child has been adopted, can the biological parents get that child back? What kind of legal mess goes on? :confused:
Once finalization has taken place, its almost impossible for the birthparents to reclaim, unless they can prove coercion or some type of duress.
Each state is different and has different laws.
What is your book going to be about if it has to do with disrupting an adoption?
Advertisements
It's about a lot of things really. But basically..
27 yr old Pennsylvania woman, Samantha Lanning is a High School teacher with 3 daughters. 3 yr old Elisabeth, 8yr old Erin and 11 yr old Emily. The two oldest girls are adopted, and Emily is also deaf, and is learning how to read lips and is also verbal. Samantha's husband Brian (29) is a prominant Dr. in the area. Samantha finds out she is pregnant again, but when they have the amnio done, they find that this baby has Downs. In the midst of all this, Emily and Erin's biological parents want their daughters back. Samantha and Brian have to learn how to truly lean on God in their time of need.
Thats just a very brief summary.
Oh wowso another book that puts a negative spin on adoptionŅwhat a shame.
Your scenario is not only virtually unheard of it sounds like a Lifetime Television Made for TV Movie.
You might want to research it a little moremaybe write something positive about adoption, youŒll reach a much larger audience
No, it is positive, it really is. Erin and Emily came from an abusive home (I know, that isn't the case in all adoptions).So it really really is positive because their in a good environment with loving parents.
I have a lot of relatives and friends that were adopted. I think it's awesome.
Since I dont want to make adoption sound negative, what about like their older brother and sister try to adopt them or something? I really don't want to shed a negative light on it...
Advertisements
Once the adoption is final, the children are FOREVER a part of that family. NO ONE can come and take them away.
If you want that to be part of the story (that birth family tries to get them), the children would have to be in foster care and the birth family is working a plan through social services to get the children back.
Believe me when I tell you that relying on faith is the only thing that can get a foster parent through the journey to adopting their foster child who was abused in the birth home. It takes YEARS sometimes to go from fostering to adopting. But once the adoption is final, the fear of losing the child is over. NO ONE can reclaim an adopted child.
Alright. I think that's what I'll do. The kids were fostered, because the birth parents wouldn't sign the adoption papers or something, okies. Thanks. :)
Advertisements
Oh, well yeah it sometimes doesn't take much to do that to me, especially at this time of night. :) ~Julie
Originally posted by riley6
Once the adoption is final, the children are FOREVER a part of that family. NO ONE can come and take them away.
If you want that to be part of the story (that birth family tries to get them), the children would have to be in foster care and the birth family is working a plan through social services to get the children back.
Believe me when I tell you that relying on faith is the only thing that can get a foster parent through the journey to adopting their foster child who was abused in the birth home. It takes YEARS sometimes to go from fostering to adopting. But once the adoption is final, the fear of losing the child is over. NO ONE can reclaim an adopted child.
Unfortunately, this isn't always true. There is a case in Texas right now where an adoption was over turned two years later.
[URL=http://www.adoption.com/includes/frame.php?url=http://www.amarillonet.com/stories/091604/new_infavor.shtml?adoption=news-article]Link to the story[/URL]
I read the link and eventhough I am an adoptive mother, I MUST side with the birthmother on this. She NEVER signed her parental rights away and she informed the adoptive parents that she wanted her baby back (at 5 months) prior to any finalization papers were signed. Yes, it is difficult to be told to give back a baby that you think is yours. However, the adoptive parents had a moral obligation not only to the birthmother but also to the child. The adoptive parents have made things more difficult for everyone involved. Yes, I can understand and feel their anguish but if I were the judge, Savannah would go home with her biological family.
BubblerificChic,
Your scenario about the adoptive father (in your planned book), "Samantha's husband Brian (29) is a prominant Dr. in the area. " I think you might need to make him a bit older. A prominant Dr. would be someone who has proven himself. At 29 he would probably just be finishing up his residency.
I do think that the foster care angle is the better way to go with your story.
before you have adoption, courts require a TPA. Termination of parental rights. That certifies that the parents have given up all legal attachments to the child. Once that occurs, the status of the child is determind....either they are or are not available for adoption.
Advertisements