Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi
My husband I have been childless for almost two years and are interested in adopting an infant girl from Jamaica. I am of Jamaican decent and thought that a Jamaican adoption would be appropriate from the research I have found thus far. We cannot afford a domestic adoption and were surprised to find out that there is only a $460 processing fee due to the Adoption Board, unless someone can correct this belief. We know that the actual adoption will have to be processed in the U.S., but I do have adoption attorney assistance through my school district. Any information that you may provide to help us in this process would be greatly appreciated. We are impatiently awaiting our adoption application, two weeks now.
Thank you in advance for your help!
Gabrielle:D
I'm wondering if anyone is currently in the process of adopting from Jamaica.
I was in Jamaica 8 years ago and was struck by both the beauty and desperation of its people. I have been considering adoption for quite a while. After I came home I briefly looked for agencies that worked with Jamaica, but didn't find anything. Now I've found a couple, but it doesn't seem to be a very popular program.
Advertisements
Hello there,
I've been contemplating adoption (single applicant) for sometime now. I would have loved to adopt a child from each continent and I actually looked into it. However, due to the financial strain involved in international adoption, I resort to adopting closer to "home".
(Feb 13), I contacted the Ontario adoption counsel and a home-study($3500) is required/madatory, as well as a parenting course ($1500-couple, $700-single). This is adopting as a Canadian Permanent Resident or Citizen.
Possible Alternative Route, to adopt as a Jamaican in Jamaica. Possible obstable, must complete home study in Jamaica (3-4 months). This means i would have to live in Jamaica for that period and i'm currently in Canada.
I'll be contacting the Child Development Agency (Jamaica) for addtional and specific details. I'll keep you all posted.
Helpful website on Jamaican Adoption:
[url=http://www.cda.gov.jm/adoption_contd.php]Child Development Agency - Foster Care and Adoption[/url]
Hello,
If anyone is interested, there is a Yahoo group for Jamaica adoptions with lots of information.
[url=http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jamaicaadoption/]jamaicaadoption : Jamaica Adoptions[/url]
Hi, I am reading the notes you all have put out here. My husband and I were married in Jamaica and have developed a friendship with some of the natives there. One of our friends tells me it is easy to adopt, just get the paperwork in. I see it is not that easy. Is there anyone who has adopted from here in the US from Jamaica that can give me tips. I am in South Dakota
I just wanted to throw in 2 cents though I was unable to adopt from Jamaica. But I love Jamaica so much that I really tried. I dealt with the CDA (It is near impossible to talk to them) and called every orphanage and so on. I swear that CDA is only open about once a month for an hour or two. The most I could find out was that it is extremely difficult to adopt a baby but you can adopt an older child much more easily. Not easily, but more easily. We adopted domestically and my beautiful daughter has a Jamaican birthfather from Kingston. Go figure. Now I have an excuse to take her there often!!
Here is her pic.
Anyhow I'll be curious to see how you all do with this.
Advertisements
Hotchocolate
Hello there,
I've been contemplating adoption (single applicant) for sometime now. I would have loved to adopt a child from each continent and I actually looked into it. However, due to the financial strain involved in international adoption, I resort to adopting closer to "home".
(Feb 13), I contacted the Ontario adoption counsel and a home-study($3500) is required/madatory, as well as a parenting course ($1500-couple, $700-single). This is adopting as a Canadian Permanent Resident or Citizen.
Possible Alternative Route, to adopt as a Jamaican in Jamaica. Possible obstable, must complete home study in Jamaica (3-4 months). This means i would have to live in Jamaica for that period and i'm currently in Canada.
I'll be contacting the Child Development Agency (Jamaica) for addtional and specific details. I'll keep you all posted.
Helpful website on Jamaican Adoption:
[url=http://www.cda.gov.jm/adoption_contd.php]Child Development Agency - Foster Care and Adoption[/url]
Hello everyone,
I contacted the CDA(Jamaica) couple weeks ago via phone and initially the phone line was busy. Anyhow, I called a second time minutes later and spoke to someone who gave me a Canadian agency that they deal with to conduct home study etc. It appears I may have difficulty if providing financial(job letter/income) if I chose to adopt as a Jamaican in Jamaica (Dual Citizenship). I think it's such a waste to pay 3500 CND for a homestudy when that should go towards my potential child or the orphange or the CDA in Jamaica. They make it so hard to help children (people) in need.
I'm still researching the issue... what if I had a business in Jamaica generating income couldnt that suffice as income? I'll keep you all posted.
I'll be travelling to Jamaica March 13-22, 2009, I intend on visiting several orphanages to get first hand info and perhaps identify my child.
-Renae
Hi,
I'm new to this whole process and my husband and I are trying to figure out where to start. My question is, do you need to go through an adoption agency to adopt from Jamaica? I found the CDA website, and printed the pre application. I read their process, and it looks like once the pre app gets approved, they send you an adoption liscense application and you need to get a home study etc. for the process. Can you do this without the use of an actual agency? We live in California.
Thanks!
I really wish it was that easy. I have a contact ni Jamaica that is a native and also works for the only know agancy that has completed a Jamaican adoption. First to anwer you quesiton, yes you need an agency. Although the Jamaican people are very wonderful and the country is a place my husband and I love, the government there is at best unpredictable. YOu need someone that can tell you the "real process"
Advertisements
Please make sure your posts following our Forum Rules regarding the discussion of Adoption Professionals.
I have edited several posts on this thread that violate those rules.
All agency/professional based discussions/comments must be sent via PM.
Thanks
Hotchocolate
Hello everyone,
I contacted the CDA(Jamaica) couple weeks ago via phone and initially the phone line was busy. Anyhow, I called a second time minutes later and spoke to someone who gave me a Canadian agency that they deal with to conduct home study etc. It appears I may have difficulty if providing financial(job letter/income) if I chose to adopt as a Jamaican in Jamaica (Dual Citizenship). I think it's such a waste to pay 3500 CND for a homestudy when that should go towards my potential child or the orphange or the CDA in Jamaica. They make it so hard to help children (people) in need.
I'm still researching the issue... what if I had a business in Jamaica generating income couldnt that suffice as income? I'll keep you all posted.
I'll be travelling to Jamaica March 13-22, 2009, I intend on visiting several orphanages to get first hand info and perhaps identify my child.
-Renae
Jamaican Adoption From Ontario Canada
This will cost between $10,000-$15,000-this include completing a P.R.I.D.E course, homestudy and agency fees (Adoption Agency-Jamaican Adoption Agency in Toronto). Timeframe-atleast 2 years and you are not able to choose the child you want (adoption agency representative expressed to me).
Once the homestudy is complete you can have the child immigrate and join you in Canada while completing the adoption process.
Who’s involved: The Potential Parent(s), Adoption Agency, Child Development Agency and Citizen and Immigration Canada
Option Two: Completing the adoption in Jamaica
While residing in Jamaica. You can complete the adoption and then relocate to Canada. Time-frame 6months+ Cost- cost of living for the duration of months you decide to stay or length to complete the adoption.
The procedure and length of time including cost depends on your residency while completing the adopting.
Who’s involved: The Potential Parent(s), Child Development Agency and Citizen and Immigration Canada
Hope this helps.
I can also be reached at rc4168586451@gmail.com
Looking for an agency here in the states that handles adoptions from Jamaica. If anyone knows of one that is reputable, please PM me!! THX!
hello am from the bahamas and my boyfriend is from the state and he wants to adopt my 16yr old son wha should we do , and what is the law in the state on carribean adoption
Advertisements
Hello All,
I am currently in the process of adopting from Jamaica... I am looking for feed back on how long the process took for everyone here that posted... I am new to the site so any information is greatly appreciated!