Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
I feel compelled to take a slightly different take on this topic. I'm sorry to hijack your thread asking for personal experiences of adoptive parents, but as a prospective birth parent I must reply to the initial response you received.
I have had a very hard pregnancy to this point, morning sickness, or in fact, all day sickness, for the entire first trimester & beyond, resulting in my missing a tremendous amount of work, as well as having a greatly increased food budget to try & stay nourished. On top of that, I worked at a restaurant, so I was used to simply eating there which is hard to do if you're home. I then got laid off 2 weeks after I told one of my managers I was pregnant, & thus far have been unable to find new employment.
Some women don't show very much 4 months in, I very much do. So I find myself halfway through my pregnancy, with no employment, maxed out credit cards, a negative balance in my checking account, etc etc. Now this may all just be a coincidence, and have nothing to do with the pregnancy, just bad timing, the economy is bad, but some of it certainly seems to me to be pretty obviously tied to the pregnancy.
The state will pay my medical expenses & has even given me 150$/month for food + WIC, however, that hardly gets me by.
Now, I'm faced with the option of trying to continue the pregnancy for myself, trying to continue it for someone else or ending it. {Please, no preaching, I'm pro choice in theory, in reality the ultrasound made it nearly unthinkable, however, I can't deny that it seems very much the wiser choice at times}.
If I do continue this pregnancy & give this child to another family to care for, I do think I will be BLESSING them by doing so. There are other options. I find it very insulting for someone to look at it otherwise.
I was adopted myself, that's part of what makes this all very difficult, but I know my mother certainly felt blessed by being given me & I am glad for it, I would hate to think she looked at it as someone just 'made the right calculation' or whatever .
The initial responder was correct that it varies from case to case & state to state, however, I know that for me, if things do not improve quickly, my options may fall down to either receiving financial help from an adoptive couple or my having to ... Again, no judgments please, I am simply being realistic. I am not looking to profit or scam someone, just to be able to continue the pregnancy without the constant stress.
My case may be unique, it may be common, I don't know. But I do know that it seems to me that if you are able to afford it, and you truly want a child, there may be cases where providing some financial assistance to the birthmother may be justified, and in fact, necessary.
Sorry, if that was off topic or too personal, I just had to say it.
To the original poster: I wish you all the luck & blessings in the world, I hope you find a wonderful little one to love. Thanks for your indulgence.