Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
oceanica
I hope I don't offend or hurt anyone as that is not my intent, and I can come across as rude at times.
My take is that as aparents we are the ones who are grateful, we are receiving joy, we are receiving a blessing and fulfillment. Bparents are the ones that receive pain, sorrow, a void, grief, and so on. We as aparents feel indebted. We have to separate the "thank you for choosing me as parents for your baby" from "what can I do to thank you" or it becomes a payment for the baby. It's almost like when somebody gives you a kidney or something... there is no way and nothing big enough that you could give or say that could be thank you enough. But we really don't owe anything other than being really good loving parents. It's not our fault someone is pregnant and if the person is in financial need it's not our fault or responsiblity. Anything given is a gift out of compassion for a person who needs it. I feel that paying a lot of expenses lends itself to scamming. That is not to say that a lot of eparents are doing that, just that the people who would do it see an opportunity.
In my personal experience, the two scammers I encountered were out for financial gain, and the two successful adoptions didn't require a lot of support. My daughter's bmom got 3000 dollars for maternity related expenses after tpr and my son's bmom asked for no support at all. They acted on the love they had for the little ones only and not on what they could get out of it.
So you should decide how much you are willing to and can afford to give as a gift to someone in need regardless of the final outcome and don't set that number so high that you are a target for a scammer, and don't expect anything in return.
I must agree with you. When our agency asked what, if anything we were able to pay in expenses. i had to think about it for a while. We cant afford much, if any, but i do think that some expenses are necessary for the mother. As in food, maternity clothes, stuff like that. I would not however be paying for most of their living expenses throughout the pregnancy. My opinion is that if you are willing to do this, (which is great) then you also need to assume the risk to get burned. I dont think many emoms do this, maybe a small amount, but there are people who will, at the drop of a hat take advantage of someone if they see vunerability. I am not willing to take that chance, there fore we only agreed to pay for $500 in medical expenses, which is payed after the TPR, and $250 in expenses toward the pregnancy item such as, food, clothes ETC. Its not much, but i dont think someone will scam me for $250!! And i guess if they are that desperate,then they need the money more than me anyways. And i honestly think that by doing this, we are not going to attract scammers and we dont personally feel we are "buying" a baby as some others MIGHT feel if they are paying high emom expenses. i'm sure not all aparents feel this way, but i think some might. I think its good all the way around for everybody. Plus, our agency usually doesnt match till at least 7 months, so there really isnt much time after being matched till the baby is born. We wanted to maybe pay a bit more in pregnancy expenes, like $500. But we just dont have the money and that makes my decision alot easier. Just my 2 cents!! Rach