Advertisements
Advertisements
Lynn Giddens helped me find my birth family in l984 while I was a resident of Albuquerque, New Mexico. I currently reside in OK.
I have yet to find one brother. It seems I have come up with nothing but dead ends.
There were 5 children in my family. The youngest brother is missing. We have little to nothing to go on.
We believe at birth his name was: Larry Wayne Carpenter. Born: Kings Mountain, NC.
Father: Charles Plato Carpenter; Mother: Winona Bailey Carpenter.
We feel confident his name was changed.
My name is Melissa Jan Hopkins Hays, Birth Name: Charlene Ann Carpenter.
Brother: Charles Eugene Carpenter: NOW: Philip Jay Hopkins
Sisters: Brenda Carpenter and Linda Carpenter.
My sister Brenda is 49, Linda, 48, Jan 47, Jay is 43.
It is believed he was adopted in the Chicago area and may have been moved to Indiana.
In letters written by various family members, there is information that follows:
April 4, 1964; Cleveland County, N.C.; M/Ms. Almer Allston.
We assumed this was his birth date, perhaps place of birth and adoptive family.
We are not sure.
Can you help us at all? We are lost at to where to go next.
Please review the following information my sister recently sent me that developed nothing positive. The number was not a working number.
------------------------------------------------------- ---------------
Jan,
I am shaking as I write this. I may be getting excited for nothing, but at this point, anything is something. I do not know if this is anything or not, but I found this slip of paper in my stuff and I can't imagine why it would have this info on it if it were not significant. I do not remember where it came from or if any of it is really connected to Larry, but it's too close not to be. It's written in my handwriting on a yellow post it note.
Anyway, here's what's written: April 4, 1964; Cleveland County, N.C.; M/Ms. Almer Allston.
Have we tried using any of this information before? Seems like I gave you something like this before. But I remembered something Linda said about someone helping her find Larry's parents a long time ago. It was with the help of an older couple she lived with or something, people I do recall in her association. Recently, she told me the story again, and I believe her. She said that they found the family in Indiana. So, with that clue, I looked up Almber Allston in Indiana. I did not find an Almer Allston, but did find a Nicholas Allston on Gary, Ind. I paid $10 to get the address and phone number and thought it just might be worth a shot in the dark.
Here's what I have, just so that if this is worth something you will have it. Needless to say, I am going to call this number ASAP and see what happens. Here's what I have: Nicholas Allston, 559 W. 21st Ave., Gary, IN 46407; 219-886-3043.
I'll let you know what turns up!
Brenda
We have letters written by the birth father and birth mother, etc. and we are just going by information written in letters. We have not found any documents thus far of birth, adoption, etc. We have not been able to confirm his birth, location, etc. Letter say he was born in Kings Mtn., NC There was family living in the Chicago area that our birth father and mother we possibly visiting. We are looking at addresses, etc. from the letters. Apparently Larry was taken to the Chicago area and something happened. It was rumored an apartment manager or Landlord adopted the boy. It have wondered if it was a legal adoption and if so, where would these documents be now?
Would this effect his original birth certificate? If indeed it is in North Carolina.
Thanks again for the reply.
Jan
If it was a legal adoption, and he was born in Kings Mountain, we may be able to find some info. Each county (NC)keeps a book called a Birth Index where most all births are recorded. When a child is adopted, the name and info (usually DOB, childs name and one or both parents) is XXed out or blacked out. But in my searches, I have found that 95% of these can still be read. Usually when crossed out it will have the date it was pulled and sent to Raleigh. The BC books will have a yellow or white paper where the corresponding bc should be, stating that the bc was pulled and sent to Raleigh and be dated as well.
I did however do a recent search in my county, Catawba, and the child was legally adopted, but there was no white paper in the BC books or no date scribbled in the BIndex as to when it was pulled and forwarded to Vital Statistics in Raliegh even though the name was blacked out. This was a 1960 dob. But I am sure every county has different levels of accuracy that they use to follow up.
If he was born in Kings Mountain, maybe we could get his actual bday. You really never know until you get a hands on look.
I have emailed and will be glad to help with what I can.
If your subject was born in NC and then adopted in another state, assuming it was a legal adoption,the state of jurisdiction would notify NC that the child had been adopted. The state would then, notify the county of birth and ask them to pull the b.c. and send it to Raleigh. And the state of jurisdiction would issue an amended birth certificate.
Hope this helps :)
If it wasn't legal, would the original birth certificate still be in the county of birth?
------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------
Cabbage patch baby
Advertisements
well, I guess we would have to assume that one was even issued. It is possible that the child was born at home and was never issued a b.c.(kinda like you:) )
They could have taken the child back to another state and had a birth certificate issued there (delayed) and put the adopting parents as the bio-parents. Following me???? Esspecially if this was not a legal adoption.
The only way to know for sure would be to go to Vital Stats office and look at the birth index.
Why do these folks believe it was an illegal adoption?
Looking for birth family baby boy born 8/24/1962in kings mountain north Carolina adopted at 6months of age. Had eight older siblings .wore braces on both legs when adopted for unknown reasons and was very sickly. Adoption records he recalls seeing baby boy Timothy on. Adopted into south Carolina by Frederick and Jaclyn Summers
this is a friend of mine could this be your brother ? I know birth year is off but we are trying every lead