Advertisements
Advertisements
I am an adoptive parent; I also supervise pre-teachers from the university in my area. Three of them have been given children from Kazakhstan to tutor. It isn't going well, and they have few resources. Does anyone have suggestions for how to help these children during one-on-one tutoring time at school? These children speak little English, and they seem emotionally frayed. I believe they have been in the US for only 5 weeks.
Thanks
I think there is a method called TKO. You use alot of hand motions and facial expressions. I went to a conference where the speaker spoke only Italian. He did this as a demonstration that it really works. I know NO italian but I understood what he was saying as if he were speaking english. I realize it might be alot of preperation for just a little tutoring time. Have them use flash cards, pictures,movies and physical objects. jmo
Advertisements
Thanks for the heads up. I will look into your ideas since my students will soon be full-time teachers--likely facing this situation again with a lot more interaction ahead of them.
Leap frog is absolutely neccessary for both English and math. Our daughter learned English alphabet very quickly, and was able to write her name. She has been with us 1.5 years. Lots of positive enouragement will help. Natasha is speaking more and more English now.
Also you may want to use [url="http://www.learningpage.com/"]www.learningpage.com[/url] and [url="http://www.starfall.com/"]www.starfall.com[/url] on the Internet. They will help.
I agree with previous person - flash cards and pictures.
Laura.
Thanks for those websites. They are great! I will be using them with my Natasha this summer. She has been home 6 months and is desperate to read. This may be the boost she needs this summer.
I second it...the leap frog toys are great for language acquisition. I think leapster is easier at first since it is game based vs the leap pad. We have both and she will grab the leapster first.
To Gini, 5 weeks is so short, use alot of gesturing and patience. Remember with children about 90% of language is non verbal. A smile and facial expression go along way.
Also alot of showing and saying-- Play in a sink to teach water, on, off, etc.
Speak with some ESL teacher they should not be using the primary language when teaching the new language.- thus may have some tips.
momm2be
To Gini, 5 weeks is so short, use alot of gesturing and patience. Remember with children about 90% of language is non verbal. A smile and facial expression go along way.
Also alot of showing and saying-- Play in a sink to teach water, on, off, etc.
Speak with some ESL teacher they should not be using the primary language when teaching the new language.- thus may have some tips.
I agree 100% - 6 weeks is so little time. Gini, honey, tell your teachers to NOT get discouraged. 6 weeks is just a time for them to adjust to their new life emotionally. I seriously doubt my daughter Natasha learned anything during her first 6 weeks in America. She mostly was observing. I agree with momm2be that at this stage of their life the teacher has to exercise lots of patience and understanding, especially if a child was transplanted to the US from the orphanage like my Nata.
Advertisements