Advertisements
Advertisements
I just saw this story today. 2.5 year old was returned to her bmom after a 2 year custody battle which didn't begin until she was 5 months old. Bmom claimed she didn't mean to give child up for adoption.
I can't find any old new stories on this case, just in the last 2 months regarding the child being returned. How can this happen that a bmom can start the custody battle 5 months after relinquishment and reclaim custody of her child?
Sometimes, I don't understand the courts of this country. I am so saddened today.
Advertisements
I found it on the cbs network under the news. [url]www.cbs.com[/url]
Apparently the birthmother never signed any terminations papers?
Katie
[url]http://www.amarillonet.com/stories/092204/new_withmom.shtml[/url]
I can't find details on what happened. The bmom was/is a teen. There was supposed to be an open adoption but the bmom started legal proceedings 5 months later. She claimed she never meant to place her child for adoption. And yesterday or today the child was abruptly handed over after a supposed visitation schedule to gradually ease her back into relationship with the bparents.
Saying I can't stand to read a story like this is more than an understatement ... My mind plays tricks on me and I imagine if I were that adoptive mom ... I literally feel as though I could vomit.
How can a girl who ABANDONED her child at the hospital have any rights at all? How can a judge do this to a child and her family? HOW?!
There is no way this story can have a happy ending ... no way at all. It is all so wrong ... I want to say that I will never go into an adoption where parental rights issues aren't clear cut, but sometimes we put it on the line for the sake of the child ... that is obviously what these parents did.
I am sorry to be so harsh, but so much of this has been going on that I have to say there should be a law allowing bio parents to BE SUED for ALL the financial and emotional loss of adoptive parents when something like this happens ... and I am NOT in favor of frivolous lawsuits, but maybe if there were some ACCOUNTABILITY people would think before they act so selfishly and destroy other people's lives ...
I couldn't agree with you more Stephanie! She never intended for her child to be adopted so what the family was just babysitting for two years?? Then when it's convienient for the birthmother she comes back and reclaims a child who is now solidly bonded with this family!!
It seems to me that this is a clear case of abandonment on the birthparents parts. It just sickens me that they are allowed to get away with this sort of stuff at the child's and other people's expenses.
Judy
Advertisements
I think that is my biggest confusion. Was the child abandoned at the hospital? How is it that the aparents thought they were embarking on an open adoption agreement when they took their daughter home? And, how on God's green earth did the bmother have a legal ground to stand on if she truly didn't seek legal recourse for 5 MONTHS after this child was born?
I can't find any information on what happened to set this case in motion, only the current devestation of this child and her family. Does anyone know what happened?
It's late and I really need to go to bed, but here's a link to the story:
[url]http://www.adoption.com/includes/frame.php?url=http://www.amarillonet.com/stories/092104/new_girlto.shtml[/url]
I'll read it tomorrow.
I just have to say that I have a 2.5 yr old, and the emotional trauma that this poor little girl is going to go through is unthinkable. I can honestly say that I don't think she will ever fully recover from it. The whole thing fills me with incredible sadness and anger.
I did a google search and read several articles from the local newspaper on this case. The bmom was 14 at the time she gave birth; she selected the aparents (dad, a police officer - now a security guard; mom - an assistant principal, both in their 40's) prior to giving birth; they chose to have an open adoption and continue contact. Five months later, the bmom showed up saying she wanted the baby back. I am assuming that two years of legal battles ensued because the child is now 2 1/2 years old.
The judge on the case has 10 children of his own ... hmmm ... any chance he has NO CLUE how to empathize with an infertile couple? Liberty and justice for NONE has been carried out in this case. It is outrageous and heartbreaking.
Unfortunately, it looks as though the adoptive parents did not have a good lawyer when they took custody of the baby. The biological parents rights were never terminated. And the judge obviously has no clue as to the attachment the child has for her Mommy and Daddy, and the emotional scar this will leave on her for the rest of her life. I don't know what else to say except that we will make absolutely sure that the birthparents rights are TPR'd before we take custody. I never want to go through what these poor people are going through, and I would never want to put a child through it.
I'm going to pray for both the parents and for that poor little girl.
Advertisements
This whole situation disgusts me. I am doing an international adoption because of the risks like this. There needs to be some financial recourse for the aparents in situations like this. The laws in this country need to be changed and aparents rights need to be more protected. I just can't believe this case.