Advertisements
Advertisements
I am planning on filing my application in May of next year. When they come to conduct a home study, are pets a problem? I have two, very sweet, larger (75 lb) dogs. The only thing they do is bark when someone comes to the door. They do get a little excited with visitors for about a minute. Will having pets affect the outcome of my homestudy?
It shouldn't as lomg as the house is clean (ie no poop on the floor) and they are up to date on shots.
We have 3 cats. They did ask how the cats are with people and we told em. 1 is really good and the other 2 take awhile.
Advertisements
I did a homestudy for fostercare so don't know if it is the same...but I have two inside dogs and three inside cats and one dog outside. They just wanted to make sure they had there rabies shot and how they acted around people. They really did not have a problem with it at all. Kids love animals! I think the main thing with us (foster parents) is not to get placements that are allergic to animals.
Hey there~
We have 2 dogs - 57lbs and 45 lbs and 4 cats! Our dogs also get excited for the first 5 minutes and then they're as calm as can be. We dropped the more boistrous of the two at my parents house before the homestudy just so we wouldn't be worried. We had pictures out showing both of our dogs as we weren't trying to hide the fact that we had 2. She never asked about the 2nd dog and she never asked about shots for any. The cats stayed upstairs because that's where they like to hang out, except for one who sat at the table with us! LOL So, bottom line is don't worry. Just mention to the SW that you have dogs and if she is afraid you'll put them in the basement or whatever. Good luck
:)Jackie
I haven't had my homestudy yet, but I asked my CW the same question you have asked.
I have 7 cats and 1 dog and 1 chicken. Everyone but the chicken, of course, are inside animals.
My CW said that was fine as long as I could prove their shots and that there was enough room for a child along with the animals. LOL
Of course, there is, so no problem.
Kristi
I have three dogs inside, one mini-dachsund, a Husky and a German Shepherd. The sw asked to see their shots and how they acted around people. She also asked about how they are with kids. The mini-dachsund has had chemo so he's in pain sometimes so he's not the best with kids but he also sleeps a lot in my room. I told her the other two dogs love kids and are great with them. She thought it was fine.
Advertisements
I was in a panic about our dogs when we had our first visit from the SW. We have a lab and lab mix. They are both large, 65 plus, and they are very excitable when company comes. I put them outside before she came but they still went wild. She just asked if they were always outside, and of course they are inside dogs. She told me she didnt want them outside on her account and to let them in. I did and of course they wanted all her attention. She actually played with them for a minute then asked about their shots. I think she just wanted to make sure they were friendly. She also stated that she feels that if a person can take care of dogs responsible then she feels they can take care of a baby. :D
Try not to worry - it will be all right!!
Good luck,
-Jo
ATwinkleofHope
I was in a panic about our dogs when we had our first visit from the SW. We have a lab and lab mix. They are both large, 65 plus, and they are very excitable when company comes. I put them outside before she came but they still went wild. She just asked if they were always outside, and of course they are inside dogs. She told me she didnt want them outside on her account and to let them in. I did and of course they wanted all her attention. She actually played with them for a minute then asked about their shots. I think she just wanted to make sure they were friendly. She also stated that she feels that if a person can take care of dogs responsible then she feels they can take care of a baby. :D
Try not to worry - it will be all right!!
Good luck,
-Jo
I'd like to bump this topic. I have two little dogs that are TERRIBLE with people that they don't know (but generally good with kids). I also have a 4-year-old son. Should I have the dogs stay with relatives during the visit? Would that look bad? What's your take? Any opinions would be GREATLY appreciated!
We have a Beagle that gets pretty 'wild' when someone first comes into our house, but calms down in a few minutes. We let the SW meet her then put her out in the yard - it was fine.
We have two 30 pound barkers who think that everyone who comes to our house have to be there to see them. Our social worker thought they were beautiful, gave them some attention and we completed the home study without a problem.
Advertisements
We have 2 big dogs too.... one is a Husky, 53lbs and the other is a Pyrenees mix about 130lbs. The husky is very excitable and loves everyone. The Pyrenees take some time to get to know people and we explained that to the social workers(we had 2, 1 in training and 1 seasoned veteran!). We kenneled them both(the dogs that is!LOL) and the social workers were introduced that way. We felt it was better for both because not everyone is a pet person and the dogs feel safe in their kennels.
The dogs both barked a lot but were not aggressive(no growling, etc)....they fed them treats since they love any kind of snack. They also asked about their shots, explained that with our paperwork submission for the homestudy that we must include rabies vaccinations.
I totally stressed about our dogs too...because they can be intimidating. I also advised her we have read about introducing dogs to children and that we would bring in trainer if necessary and that if it just woudn't work, we would rehome them with my mom(but I know it will not be a problem at all so they are staying put). She was satisfied with these answers and thanked us for our education on the subject.
Basically, if you don't make a big deal about the dogs, they probably won't either. The thought crossed my mind to take them to my sisters but I was afraid somehow I would flub and it would come up, or she would find out somehow(paranoid-LOL), so I just made it work.
On the homestudy itself, it was just mentioned briefly that "they enjoy spending time with their dogs" but nothing else.
In general, homestudy agencies are fine with pets, since they demonstrate a person's willingness to love and care for someone other than himself/herself.
The agencies will want to be sure that pets are not likely to transmit disease. They will usually want proof that pets are up to date on any immunizations required by your state or jurisdiction, and are licensed if required by your jurisdiction. They will also want to observe that pet wastes are not all over the house and yard.
The agencies may want to have the social worker assigned to a case physically observe the pets, to see if they are vicious. Most, though not all, social workers are fine with doing so, and can distinguish between -- for example -- a happy but loud bark and a vicious growl.
It is always a good idea, before a home visit, to let the social worker know about your pets and to ask him/her if he/she is comfortable with dogs/cats/birds/reptiles or whatever pets you own. Some social workers may prefer to have large dogs crated or outside in a fenced yard, rather than inside the house with them, at the time of the visit; however, these seem to be in the minority.
Most social workers seem to like pets, and to enjoy meeting them. Most also seem to know that pets do the darndest things, just like kids do. Most will have a good sense of humor if your cat coughs up a hairball on the rug, or your Great Dane decides that the social worker's lap looks like a good place for a snooze. Pet indiscretions are common during homestudies, and I am not aware of any situation that would cause a turndown unless the animal bites the social worker.
Pet owners should be prepared for a couple of hard questions, commonly asked by social workers:
1. What will you do if your new child turns out to have a severe allergy to your pet?
2. What will you do if your new child turns out to be deathly afraid of your pet, even many weeks after he/she comes home and has had some time to adjust?
3. What will you do if your pet simply cannot adjust to your child, to the point where the animal either tries to harm the child or becomes ill from stress?
These questions are never easy to answer, but, in general, the parent needs to be able to reassure the social worker that he/she is committed to maintaining the safety and wellbeing of the child. The parent may need to say that rehoming the pet will be considered if all other approaches to enabling the pet and child to live together do not work.
Sharon