Advertisements
Advertisements
What is the difference between RAD and Attatchment Disorder?
Does ODD have the same symptoms as Attatchment Disorder?
Experts disagree as to whether or not there is a difference between AD and RAD. It tends to be used interchangeably most of the time.
While ODD and RAD are not the same thing, many kids with RAD exhibit ODD symptoms. Most are oppositional as control is the issue.
Advertisements
I wish. Attachment is a continuum and there is treatment to help a child learn to attach. It's not easy. Both RAD and ODD require different types of parenting.
I would suggest looking at [url]www.attachment.org[/url] and [url]www.radzebra.org[/url]
There are also many books on the subject of attachment.
Nancy Thomas-When Love is Not Enough and Dandelion on my Pillow, Butcher Knife Beneath
Foster Cline's Can This Child Be Saved
Greg Keck and Regina Kupecky's Adopting the Hurt Child
Also read "Building the Bonds of Attachment" and "Holding Time". My kids had full-blown, down in the dirt, RAD and are very much healing. They were 2 and 5 when we got them (the 2 yr old was the worst) and 4 and 7 when they were in started attachment therapy.
Advertisements
Any child can have attachment disorder. Normally, it is caused by abuse and/or neglect during the first years of life. However, it can be caused by chronic illness of the child or mother during those years.
The Kansas ATTACh website ([url]www.ksattach.us[/url]) has information on the differences between RAD and AD. This is also something that has been under discussion among mental health professionals including attachment therapists. There has been much discussion about changing the criteria listed under RAD in the DSM to show levels of severity, add more types and list behaviors. The DSM is the mental health "manual" that list what criteria is needed in order for a mental health disorder to be given.