Advertisements
Advertisements
I am a genealogist and have a subject who was orphaned and then adopted at least once in New York in the 1890's. I am struggling to figure out where those adoption records would be and how I would get a hold of them. All involved parties are dead, i.e., the adoptee died in 1956 at age 70, so surely her adoptive parents are dead as well.
Where would I find the records of her adoption(s)? She was in Chenango and Broome Counties in New York. I'm not sure which one would have handled the adoption(s).
Most adoption information on the Internet is about situations where at least one party is alive. What happens when they're all deceased? :confused:
Advertisements
I'm no genealogist, but I'm driven to find out more about a particular family story. I'm also seeking old family records from the 1890's. My Great Grandmother was listed as a boarder in a 1900 census at age 6. In the 1910 census, she's listed as a 16 year old daughter of the same house head. And later listed as adopted girl. She always used the same surname as her foster/adoptive parents, but she told my mother a story... Her birth mother committed suicide on railroad tracks outside Albany, NY, leaving behind her and her siblings. (Maybe 2? Definitely an older brother) This death would have happened sometime in the 1890's. She says she remembers her birth name, but it could sound like many other names.
Have you had any luck with your search? Any advice on where I can go from here?
Her birth mother committed suicide on railroad tracks outside Albany, NY, leaving behind her and her siblings.
Have you checked whether there are any archives on micro-fiche for newspapers in Albany?
You could also send requests to any orphanages that were in the area around that time.
Ancestry.com has message boards so you can look there in the Albany section and orphanages etc.
Kind regards,
Dickons