Advertisements
Advertisements
I was just wondering how many of you out there have had a contested adoption?
Which birth parent contested?
Was it contested after you were given custody, during the waiting period?
And what was the out come?
It seems to me that several families have been down this road.
Yes - bfather - Yes, during the waiting period - still in the trial process.
Thanks in advance to all those who respond.
I was reading the thread and saw that you
mentioned two percent of adoptions are contested and you
have had two contested.
I noticed you mentioned MO... We are in Missouri as well
Good to know there is someone else with experience with contested adoptions in our state.
Would like to discuss further
-Drama mama
Advertisements
Drama mama,
We are in the midst of a contested adoption as well; PM me if you want to discuss as I hesitate to post on this thread and turn it into a debate of bparent rights...
Thx
We had a contested adoption. Birth mom asked us to adopt ( hubbys sister~ she was in prison) She signed the paperwork voluntarily. She had 7 days after signing to change her mind.( as per NC law) She changed her mind well after the revocation period. We faught in court till he was almost 2 years old. ( we TPR 3 dads, 2 possible bio, one legal) She got out of prison when he was almost 3. We all made nice and she was a big part of our lives for a year and a half. She got messed up with drugs again and got pregnant. She was arrested a week later.
She called us in November and asked us to adopt again. We said yes. baby is due in about 24 days.
Best of luck to all of you.
Drama & Sadiegirl,
We are still fighiting for our son. Our final court date will not be until Oct. '05. You are not alone.
PM me if you would like more info on our case. I will be glad to lend an ear and some support.
(((Hugs)))
Still
I would LOVE to hear from anyone in regards to contested adoptions. We have not filed for a contested adoption yet - we will at the end of June or at the beginning of July.
Right now, we are "fighting" for "legal standing". The Judge OK'd this petition for legal standing - but the bparents attorney filed an appeal the same day they found out it was approved. This hearing will be on June 6th. The next hearing will be on June 30th - this will be the hearing where the Judge could tell us when to send our little one back to his bparents.
For those that don't know about our case - just do a search on "gregorysparents" - I am sure that you will learn MORE than you want.
Don't hesitate to pm me if you want to vent, cry, yell or whatever. My thoughts and prayers are with you ALL.
Christina
Advertisements
I hate to say this, but welcome to the contested adoption club. ;) If misery loves company, then we're all in the same boat.
We already know we're in a contested adoption. Our court date is in July and we'll know for sure, if the birthmom will come and contest or if she'll just ignore it. (We're praying for the latter. :p )
Some of the contested adoption people have gotten together on a very small board, that is very private, so we can talk freely. Since these cases are very sensitive, we really can't openly talk much about them. PM me if you'd like the address of it.
Mom2J
I am at work now but when I get home I will be glad to PM all of you. I have been fighting for my son for 15 months. We have 3 attorneys and lots of experience. I will talk to you ladies later tonight.
Stillwaiting
I have no words of wisdom just want to tell all of you that you are in my prayers. We had a baby home last winter for 5 wks and then lost the placement when bdad changed him mind. We never ensued any court action. I only mention it because I had a brief taste of loving a child and fearing the worst. I cannot imagine the ongoing stress of your situations. My heart goes out to you and your children!
Would like to discuss how to deal with
relationship with parents during contestment.
Makes for a sticky situation.
Would love to know how others are walking this out..
-Drama Mama
Advertisements
While our adoption was figured out in the courts, our attorney told us absolutely NO contact with the birth mom. She said anything we said could have been used, misconstrued, twisted or whatever. As soon as the adoption was final, we resumed relations with the birth mother. Before she got messed up with drugs again, she was actually a pleasure to be around. We never met the possible bio fathers, but we did know the legal father ( T's husband was in jail when the baby was conceived) We have no contact with him at all. Neither possible bio fathers ever showed any interest and are both in prison.
Hopefully this adoption will be smoother. T isn't married and the potential birth father is very pro adoption.
Best of luck.....
Sleepydream, CONGRATULATIONS!!!! :D I know you're probably bouncing around and didn't sleep much at all last night. You've given us all hope. Thank you for sharing the wonderful news.
Congrats again,
Mom2J
Oh Sleepydream..... hurray!!!!! We were fortunate in that both bparents made the decision to sign relinquishment and the judge fianlized immediately as DD had already been with us for so long. I've said it SOOO many times....there is no better feeling than finalization and you're so close now. I'm so happy for you that the TPR happened. It's so great to know that you don't have to worry anymore. I'll just bet that a lot of tension left you yesterday.
Congratulations,
Nancy
Advertisements
Any suggestion on a contested step-parent adoption? We have not filed anything yet but the attorney already said it could be a "sticky situation" considering what my daughter's has and hasn't done.