Advertisements
Advertisements
FRONTPAGE >> NEWS >> STATE/NEW ENGLAND
print | e-mail | reprint permission
Adoption law to take effect January 1
Published: Friday, Nov. 19, 2004
CONCORD (AP) - Starting next year, adopted children will gain access to their original birth certificates, under a new law.
New Hampshire will join Oregon, Alabama, Alaska and Kansas, which have similar laws. New Hamsphires takes effect on Jan. 1.
ғI think its big for all people adopted in New Hampshire who feel their history belongs to them and want to be connected to that history,Ҕ said Steve Varnum, an adoption activist. I know there are people chomping at the bit for this law to take effect.Ӕ
Varnum himself was adopted and began searching for his birth mother several years ago at the age of 25.
This is big for adoptees, but also for birth parents who harbored some hopes of being reunited with the child they put up for adoption,Ӕ Varnum said. From my own experience, I can certainly say I hope adoptive parents look at this as an opportunity to share a big moment in their childrenӒs lives. When I searched for my birth mother, the counsel and understanding my adoptive parents provided really strengthened our relationship.
Adoptees and parents will be able to file a request form with the stateԒs Division of Vital Records Administration to start gaining access to the records. Adoptees will receive the name of their birth parents, a medical history and a contact preference from the birth mother.
The contact information should list whether the birth mother wanted to be contacted directly, indirectly or not at all.
Sen. Lou DAllesandro, D-Manchester, sponsored the bill, which Gov. Craig Benson allowed to become law without his signature this spring.
The father of an adopted daughter, DҒAllesandro said he has been overwhelmed by the number of people who have shown him gratitude for pushing the bill through.
Some people have been waiting for a long time for this. I canӒt believe the people who stop me on the street who are adopted and say theyve been waiting for this,Ҕ DAllesandro said. ғYou wouldnt believe the number of adopted people out there.Ҕ
Opponents of the bill argued that opening records did not respect the wishes of the birth parents to remain anonymous, and could therefore discourage adoption.
DAllesandro said others who have adopted children wishing to seek out their birth parents have nothing to fear.
ғYou know you have the love and affection of your child. This just lets them know who their biological parents are and the love you nurtured over the years continues and in my opinion its strengthened,Ҕ he said. This makes sense for health reasons, if for nothing else, given the complexities of todayӒs medical situation.
TOWANDA
FRONTPAGE >> NEWS >> STATE/NEW ENGLAND
print | e-mail | reprint permission
Adoption law to take effect January 1
Published: Friday, Nov. 19, 2004
CONCORD (AP) - Starting next year, adopted children will gain access to their original birth certificates, under a new law.
New Hampshire will join Oregon, Alabama, Alaska and Kansas, which have similar laws. New Hamsphires takes effect on Jan. 1.
ғI think its big for all people adopted in New Hampshire who feel their history belongs to them and want to be connected to that history,Ҕ said Steve Varnum, an adoption activist. I know there are people chomping at the bit for this law to take effect.Ӕ
Varnum himself was adopted and began searching for his birth mother several years ago at the age of 25.
This is big for adoptees, but also for birth parents who harbored some hopes of being reunited with the child they put up for adoption,Ӕ Varnum said. From my own experience, I can certainly say I hope adoptive parents look at this as an opportunity to share a big moment in their childrenӒs lives. When I searched for my birth mother, the counsel and understanding my adoptive parents provided really strengthened our relationship.
Adoptees and parents will be able to file a request form with the stateԒs Division of Vital Records Administration to start gaining access to the records. Adoptees will receive the name of their birth parents, a medical history and a contact preference from the birth mother.
The contact information should list whether the birth mother wanted to be contacted directly, indirectly or not at all.
Sen. Lou DAllesandro, D-Manchester, sponsored the bill, which Gov. Craig Benson allowed to become law without his signature this spring.
The father of an adopted daughter, DҒAllesandro said he has been overwhelmed by the number of people who have shown him gratitude for pushing the bill through.
Some people have been waiting for a long time for this. I canӒt believe the people who stop me on the street who are adopted and say theyve been waiting for this,Ҕ DAllesandro said. ғYou wouldnt believe the number of adopted people out there.Ҕ
Opponents of the bill argued that opening records did not respect the wishes of the birth parents to remain anonymous, and could therefore discourage adoption.
DAllesandro said others who have adopted children wishing to seek out their birth parents have nothing to fear.
ғYou know you have the love and affection of your child. This just lets them know who their biological parents are and the love you nurtured over the years continues and in my opinion its strengthened,Ҕ he said. This makes sense for health reasons, if for nothing else, given the complexities of todayӒs medical situation.
I was born in NH and adopted through LDS SS, and despite trying to get an original birth certificate, the only one they can find for me is the one with my adoptive parents on it. I'm not sure if this is simply because the adoption was through LDS SS, or what. I'm just starting to search again now after becoming extremely frustrated in the past. But this law was great for some people, I have a friend who was able to get his original birth certificate and was reunited with his birth mother, which was amazing for him.
~still searching....3/10/1981 female born in Nashua NH area (I think it was @ Hillsboro County Hospital??)
Advertisements