Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
I was born in West Palm Beach, FL on February 10, 1968 allegedly at the Good Samaritan Hospital. My birth mother gave me up at birth and on May 10, 1968 at the age of three months, I was placed with my adoptive parents after being in 6 different foster homes. I was place by the Children's Home Society of Florida by Trudy J. Brown, who left the agency the day before my 18th birthday. My adoptive parents... well, let's just say they're not worth explaining and the agency should have done their homework better before placing me with that family.
I met my birth mother in 1988 and we never thought about getting my birth records opened right away. Our reunion was faciliatated by Children's Home Society of Florida, and both my Mom and me had to sign releases in order for them to contact the other and arrange the meeting. Her name was Gail Darlene Fox and she was born in November of 1948.
On July 31, 1993, she was killed in a bicycle/automobile accident in the city of Stone Mountain, GA, right outside of Atlanta.
I wrote to the Children's Home Society of Florida to request my records, and they told me I would need my birth mother's signature. I explained the situation, and they would not concede, they demanded that even though my birth mother is dead, I MUST have HER signature.
I was told that Florida recently (within the last 7 years) passed legislation that if a birth parent dies, the records can be opened. It's apparant that CHS is not going to offer any help here, so how do I go about finding out what this legislation is and how to use it? I currently live in Kansas and although I am very close with my biological family, I want to have my records opened and have my original birth certificate reinstated and have all traces of my adoptive family erased as much as I possibly can.
Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Rebecca