Advertisements
Advertisements
OK. I am sure everyone or most of everyone on here has dealt with this issue.
Buttercup is having a hard time crawling. She wants to just get MOVING...She has the Einstein Jumper that's stationary. She doesn't do any real jumping in it but just kinda sits around and get's bored easily. She wants to be free and moving. We put her on the floor to play and she sits up very well on her own. She leans all the way bending forward reaching for everything and then she flips and flops and rolls around trying to get to what she wants.
The therapist told me that Buttercup shouldn't have a walker until she knows how to walk on her own. To me..if she is walking on her own I dont need a walker. (now that's with my bio's bc they never had any issues--she may be different with that) She is taking steps when you hold her up but doesnt exactly walk on her own. I know the therapist has her reasons for this but WHAT WOULD YOU DO? Our home is spacious and there is TONS of room for her to be moving around. We are very active in our home and she wants to be where we are 24/7.
Our former FD came up with her own solution. She pushed the kitchen chairs around while practicing her walking. I would fix dinner or clean up the kitchen and she and a chair would wander around the room. They had a wide enough base that they didn't tip (unless she did something out of the ordinary) and they didn't have wheels so they never went faster than she did. She had push toys too, but they didn't work as well inside.
Advertisements
becca267
Our former FD came up with her own solution. She pushed the kitchen chairs around while practicing her walking. I would fix dinner or clean up the kitchen and she and a chair would wander around the room. They had a wide enough base that they didn't tip (unless she did something out of the ordinary) and they didn't have wheels so they never went faster than she did. She had push toys too, but they didn't work as well inside.
This reminds me. Buddy's PT recommended some of her low income families take a laundry basket and flip it upside down for the kids to use as a push toy. It has a wide base, so the kiddo gets a lot of support. Plus it's free, or super cheap as the inexpensive kind work best for this.
becca267
My Chubbs was the same, still is, LOL.
I got this for him and it was great! He could play with the activity center alone, it snaps off so we could take it separately. He did fall forward a few times but go the hang of it fast. He NEEDED to walk. Chubbs was born heroin addicted and has significant sensory issues, majorly sensory seeking.
Every child is different. you know your child the best. And, fwiw, one of the biggest reasons for the downfall of the walker that the vast majority of us grew up with safely, is that too many kids were getting hurt due to neglectful parenting where doors and such to stairs were not blocked.
I was totally against the exersaucer but both my CPS worker, the pediatrician and EI all encouraged me to get one. I got one where the seat spins around. The Ped told me to just make sure his feet could sit flat on it. Some do not height adjust but I have seen where people have put books and such under the seat so feet are flat. He bored with sitting very quickly but loved walking around it on the outside and playing.
Last update on November 9, 4:11 pm by megera39.
My kids used to try to pull up on the wrong side and tip it over on themselves. Just a thought. We have the Fisher Price one, though.
Last update on November 9, 4:12 pm by megera39.
My friend had 5 kids in 3 years so one one of the babies wanted to get around and keep up with the big kids, she wanted to get a walker. That baby has significant brain damage so had many medical professionals in her life. The consensus she got when asking about walkers was that as long as it was used for less than 10 min at a time and only a few times a day, it wouldn't hurt.
Advertisements
A lot of babies having trouble crawling finally get the hang of it after using something called a crawling track. Google it, it's pretty cool. Imagine a short playground slide placed flat on the ground - a bottom and two low sides.
The baby can push forward by bracing his/her feet or knees on the sides, because then their legs don't just slide outwards. And the sides keep the baby going forward, rather than sideways or around in circles.
Once baby can crawl using the track, they transition to crawling without it pretty easily. They are pretty cool things.
Thanks for all of the suggestions! I am going to play this weekend and see if we can use any or all of these. She isn't really ready to walk yet but she will take steps when hold your fingers or holding the couch while we hold her steady from the back. I'm not saying she will never crawl but she doesnt at all seem like she is interested in it. She doesnt even get up on all 4s or rock or anything. SHe gets PLENTY PLENTY tummy time and LOTS of excercises. We have the saucier which was recommended by PT and her feet hit the floor and she stands flat-not on toes. She doesnt bouncy or evey try tho. (I hate to compare her to my bio's or other children but it is only natural when I want the best for my baby girl!)
Again...please feel free to give me any info or thoughts any of you have. I'm always open. Thanks a bunch everyone.
Just another perspective... I didn't crawl until a week before I started walking. I -rolled- everywhere. It was effective, so I didn't feel a need to crawl.
I have a little guy in my classroom right now who did not move at all on his own until he was about 9 months old. I mean, he would just lie on the floor on his back or tummy and fuss until held or propped up to sit. Barely even tried to roll over. Then suddenly at about 9 months he figured out how to sit himself up. Shortly after that he started crawling forward, but only as far as whatever piece of furniture was closest so he could pull himself up to stand. He really did not crawl around as a way to move and explore. He was just focused on getting upright immediately. I swear, about two weeks after he started pulling up he was taking steps and he has been a steady walker ever since.
Advertisements
Daniotra
Just another perspective... I didn't crawl until a week before I started walking. I -rolled- everywhere. It was effective, so I didn't feel a need to crawl.
My son laid flat on his back, no rolling, no crawling, nothing when he was 8 months old, at 10 months, he decided he had enough, pulled himself up, and walked, lol. Just like that.
He never crawled!
Imo, if there is no concern, they'll learn, but on their own terms, not ours, lol
AMom2011
My son laid flat on his back, no rolling, no crawling, nothing when he was 8 months old, at 10 months, he decided he had enough, pulled himself up, and walked, lol. Just like that.
He never crawled!
See, with bio babies, people don't worry about this kind of stuff. With foster babies, everyone freaks out a bit if all the milestones are "hit" at the right timeline. Especially if the bio parents have some delays.
My son's orthopedist (he has a VERY minor hip abnormality) said any walker, jumper, or baby carrier that allows a baby to hang by his/her crotch is an absolute no for any baby with or without any abnormalities or delays. He says for any of those things the baby's hips are put in a very bad position and can put even a "normal" baby at risk for hip dysplasia, poor gait patterns, etc.
minehistheirs
She doesnt bouncy or evey try tho. (I hate to compare her to my bio's or other children but it is only natural when I want the best for my baby girl!)
This is somewhat concerning. I learned with Buddy that neurotypical babies bounce. Buddy would go stiff instead of bouncing. This made him -awesome- at certain skills, like rolling or bearing weight through his legs, or pulling up. But it caused him issues with other things, like crawling, balancing, or catching himself if he went off-balance.
Your child is already being seen by a therapist, so you're plugged in to the right services. 8 months is still very early, and kids can be amazingly inventive in how they get things done.
Advertisements
Thanks everyone. :-). Im not trying to rush her as I know she is different than my bios. I just want to be proactive and help where i can. And i always think of the furture and whats next where i can so that i can be a little better prepared when that time comes.
What about shoes? Were you offered any boots or was it suggested he wear boots to help with keeping his feet flat?
My dd runs toe-heel and she in-toes as well but as she's younger than your ds the physio is just keeping an eye on it...
Last update on November 9, 4:15 pm by megera39.