Advertisements
Advertisements
Okay this is going to make me sound pretty old but does anyone remember in the early 80's When Joan Crawford's Adopted daughter (Christina) wrote the book Mommy Dearest?
So If I can remember correctly Christina was placed a little older and not as a new born.... and well, everyone in the 80's went crazy finding out HOW HORRIBLE Joan Crawford was to both her children after they were adopted--I believe there is even a movie about what a wicked adoptive mother Joan was....and well, now I want to read the book again....because I actually think It may very well be a masterpiece of the feelings of an adult with RAD.....?
If anyone remembers this besides me--what do you think and does anyone have a copy? I am so interested in re-reading it from the Adoptive Mother of a RAD childs point of view....I think we may find some interesting value in this book....
Erm, I don't think you're old :)
I remember the movie ("No wire hangers!!!")
I don't exactly remember Joan Crawford though... I am intrigued by your view point and hope you will expound on it as you read (when you get the book), here on the forums.
Maia
Advertisements
maybe I'm remembering it wrong, but I thought that both Christina and her brother, Christopher were placed as infants. And also remember that the kids had a very close relationship with their housekeeper who they saw more as a "motherly" figure than Joan Crawford. Huh...interesting thought to consider, especially since I think there were 2 other children that Joan also adopted and they were supposedly not mistreated.
I do have a copy of that book somewhere....will have to dig it out.
Crick
you could be right Crick--I always thought I remembered Christina being placed at five or so---I could actually be remembering some other book???
I think you might be Anna...
according to google - Christina was adopted by Joan "shortly after birth". I thought this was interesting though..."at the time, California law did not allow single moms to adopt but Joan used her wealth and status to bypass the law." It also stated that the original adoption agency Joan went to would not approve an adoption saying "Joan was not fit to parent."
Guess this is why Christina Crawford did later become active in adoption reform, which is interesting as well.
So Anna, maybe it isn't this book you are thinking of but it is interesting nonetheless.
Crick
Advertisements
well you know the 80's were full of so many hate your mom and dad books sometimes it is hard to remember who wrote what!!!!
Thanks for starting this thread. After all the RAD books and narcissism books I need something different to read. I'll have to look for the book at the mall LOL.
I remember the movie and I remember thinking she was a nut case. I think your theory is really interesting.
Michelle
Actually, Joan Crawford adopted more children then just Christina and Christopher.
I think there were 2 other girls. They are not mentioned in the "Mommie Dearest" movie. I saw a special on Joan Crawford's life and it was mentioned it that. They had filmed her with her kids at Christmas (like they show in the movie) but it shows all the kids not just the 2 in "Mommie Dearest". Apparently, the other adopted children claim that Joan Crawford was not like Christina depicted her and that she was not abusive. Perhaps Crawford had softened up by the time she adopted the later children.
I am not sure what kind of problems Joan Crawford had but clearly she was not fit to be a parent!
Maggie
Not only is RAD most likely a factor, but it seemed Joan was addicted to many things - alcohol, cigarettes, men. Adds another level to the problem.
Sam
Advertisements
.......Sam---no doubt---but there are days like today when I wonder if my being addicted to Something might have made life a little better for everyone!
Okay this is going to make me sound pretty old but does anyone remember in the early 80's When Joan Crawford's Adopted daughter (Christina) wrote the book Mommy Dearest?
So If I can remember correctly Christina was placed a little older and not as a new born.... and well, everyone in the 80's went crazy finding out HOW HORRIBLE Joan Crawford was to both her children after they were adopted--I believe there is even a movie about what a wicked adoptive mother Joan was....and well, now I want to read the book again....because I actually think It may very well be a masterpiece of the feelings of an adult with RAD.....?
If anyone remembers this besides me--what do you think and does anyone have a copy? I am so interested in re-reading it from the Adoptive Mother of a RAD childs point of view....I think we may find some interesting value in this book....
I personally just asked this exact question in the support group I host on Facebook. I rewatched the movie and researched the twins she adopted and their point of view and my gut scream Christina and Christopher suffered from Developmental Trauma Disorder/RAD. I personally started a nonprofit organization to help educate and advocate for families with children with Developmental Trauma Disorder/RAD. You can find us on Facebook Attach Families, you can also request to join our private Facebook Support Group Attach Families Support Group for parents and caregivers, or check out our website for articles and printable files to help discus with family, friends, and the school system. Attachfamilies.org